: Rice shooter on a V8

JSMeloche
07-09-04, 10:31 AM
Hi, they other day i was on ebay searching performance mufflers for my 95 STS.
I noticed there are a lot of decent priced, stainless stell mufflers. But they are the "ricer" kind. Ya know 4 inch tip with a 4 inch round body all chromed up.
Some of them have pretty nice tips, double tipped and chrome, that would look nice on my STS.

But what will these muffler sound like on a V8? Usualy on a 4 inline it sound either like a big mosquito (honda) to a nice decent tone.
On a v6 (mostly seen on Z24 v6) it just sound loud, not better, just louder. But the 3.1 v6 is always loud

I want nice mufflers at a decent price but i dont want my V8 to sound like a insect on steroid!

Rolex
07-09-04, 12:24 PM
I've seen those tips on other vehicles (non import) and I don't think they look good at all. If I were you, I would seek out a more sleek looking tip to put on my STS. If I remember right this car was a cougar V6 and it didn't have a good sound to it either. Stay away from the coffee can look and go with something more sleek.

T_Dogg8
07-09-04, 12:50 PM
Hi, they other day i was on ebay searching performance mufflers for my 95 STS.
I noticed there are a lot of decent priced, stainless stell mufflers. But they are the "ricer" kind. Ya know 4 inch tip with a 4 inch round body all chromed up.
Some of them have pretty nice tips, double tipped and chrome, that would look nice on my STS.

But what will these muffler sound like on a V8? Usualy on a 4 inline it sound either like a big mosquito (honda) to a nice decent tone.
On a v6 (mostly seen on Z24 v6) it just sound loud, not better, just louder. But the 3.1 v6 is always loud

I want nice mufflers at a decent price but i dont want my V8 to sound like a insect on steroid!
pull your muffler off and see how it sounds. it'll sound like that except quieter.

Slick V
07-09-04, 06:05 PM
Here is what the northstar v8 sounds like with a good exhaust

http://www.corsaperformance.com/flashcadillac.htm

dont know about the fartpipes the ricers use though.

LacSeville
07-09-04, 06:14 PM
i heard a fartpipe on a expedition one time. i suppose it retained its factory cat, but it sounded fine... like an "8"...not poppy and whiney. i think, however, the more pipe behind to muffler generally makes the tone deeper, and those obviously have no pipe.

thanks for those clips! that's my first time to really "hear" that beast! love that launch clip!