: Facts on air filters

oldworld
04-04-09, 07:59 PM
QUESTION:
Fram air filter as opposed to a K&N or Amsoil replacement filter?
Forget the cold air intakes, just filter to filter.

Any real reason to spend $60 for a K&N filter other than the fact that you use it basically forever? Other than that, why not a fram every year?

Also, told by several mechanics that me that cold air intakes are really not worth it, just an increase in power "sound", no real performance increase at all.
Anyone here prove that wrong?

THANKS

ESCALADOR
04-04-09, 08:45 PM
My K&N sounds cool, but I can not "prove" any power gain.

I thought you said forget about CAIs!:bricks:

Rolex
04-04-09, 11:17 PM
CAIs may give you a small gain in HP, but not enough to justify their cost. They sure as hell don't give the inflated HP gains these companies advertise. Oiled cotton gauze filters flow more air and last forever. Dry filters don't flow as much air, but filter better.

This is like the debate over regular dino oil vs. synthetic. If your area has a great deal of dirt in the air (ie construction sites, dust storms, etc) I'd say stay away from CAIs. If you want the performance sound with a small gain in hp, and have a few hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket, I say go for it. They are the #1 most popular add on for a modern vehicle.

oldworld
04-05-09, 12:35 PM
Rolex:
Thats what every mecahanic has told me...........if you have $300 to burn, get the CAI. No better MPG, and alot of hype.
The way I see it, it would take me 85 years of regular driving to re-coup the
0.50 (1/2 ) mpg gain. I'll keep the $300...lol:banghead:

Ra0035
04-06-09, 01:07 PM
I hope my wife doesn't see this post or the money in my pocket will be spent in her closet instead of under my hood.

The good thing about those advertisements is that they make it believable enough to sell it to the ole lady. :D

Summit Racing sells the same filter as the K&N only under their own brand and its half the price, and its on sale right now. I would say it works just as good as the K&N filter that I used on my old expedition. But I don't drive in dusty areas and 95% of my driving is freeway.

Here's a link
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-239201&N=700+400304+308844+4294908395+4294908226+42949246 42+115&autoview=sku

oldworld
04-06-09, 07:59 PM
You are talking about just the OEM replacement filter right? NOT the CAI setup....