: 2005 SRX w/ BOSE upgrade to aftermarket Nav system questions?

resqchick
04-04-09, 01:07 PM
I currently have a 2005 SRX with BOSE 6-disc and OnStar (all factory equipment). I am interested in putting in an aftermarket Nav system but I want to see if anyone out there has any suggestions.

I've looked around and I'm leaning towards the Pioneer Avic N-series. I would like to add the Bluetooth, XM and rear camera options. I am a total amateur and I'm not even sure where in the dash it gets installed so I really need some advice! I mostly want to make sure that it'll fit properly and I won't lose any of the computer functions I already have (outside temp, oil life, tire psi, etc.)

It's a pricey upgrade and if anyone has had any problems or had great success, I would appreciate the advice (and pics if you have any).

Thanks!

MN SRX
04-05-09, 06:51 PM
I have installed an AVIC-N2 in another of my vehicles, and they are excellent units. I also have install experience. I would have put the AVIC in my SRX, but it came with nav. I'm not familiar with the non-nav Bose radio, but I'm pretty sure that if you remove it, you will loose your access to vehicle data.

Replacing your Bose head unit with an AVIC will be a challenging install for a novice, and as usual, I reccomend letting a pro do the job. It will be pricey, but there are a lot of parts and steps involved. As an alternative, you may want to check out used SRX navigation systems. They are about the same cost as used AVICs, and should allow you to keep your vehicle info. Otherwise, you may want to check out a portable nav system.