: Bluetooth module and ONstar module

ocabrera
04-04-09, 11:27 AM
can someone who has done the bluetooth conversion please let me know if you can only run one module at a time?? in other words if I get one of the bluetooth modules I have to remove the onstart module and cannot run both in sync?....I want bluetooth in my 08 but I also like having the onstar for safety and service updates...

thunderbyrd01
04-04-09, 01:12 PM
Are you wanting to incorporate the fatcory bluetooth or an after market one ?

ocabrera
04-04-09, 05:01 PM
I did not know there was a factory one....I was thinking one of the upgrade modules that you use with the onstart buttons that have been mentioned here in a few posts.

USAFRET
04-04-09, 06:26 PM
can someone who has done the bluetooth conversion please let me know if you can only run one module at a time?? in other words if I get one of the bluetooth modules I have to remove the onstart module and cannot run both in sync?....I want bluetooth in my 08 but I also like having the onstar for safety and service updates...

I just bought a 2009 SRX and am bummed that GM didn't include Bluetooth. I'm investigating a product called LOCKPICK from a company named Coastal Electronic Technologies, Inc.

They are selling a $129 module that supposedly allows you to fully integrate an aftermarket Bluetooth car kit with the OEM Nav/audio/On Star system and retain full functionality of BOTH systems.

Cheers

Tom
USAF Retired

RustyBlazerDude
04-06-09, 09:29 PM
I just bought a 2009 SRX and am bummed that GM didn't include Bluetooth. I'm investigating a product called LOCKPICK from a company named Coastal Electronic Technologies, Inc.

They are selling a $129 module that supposedly allows you to fully integrate an aftermarket Bluetooth car kit with the OEM Nav/audio/On Star system and retain full functionality of BOTH systems.

Cheers

Tom
USAF Retired

You guys might want to look into the BlueSTAR.
I developed the GMLAN version in an SRX and it works great.
www.costartech.com
You can see some more info in the av section of this forum.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/143407-onstar-bluetooth-conversion-completed.html#post1556213
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks!

ocabrera
04-06-09, 10:47 PM
I appreciate that, but I am not sure I want to part with my onstar system just yet. I never want to need it in case of emergency but i do like the idea of having it there, especially since it is included for 1 year. I will consider your product but currently I am considering a newer parrot unit.

USAFRET
04-07-09, 10:49 AM
You guys might want to look into the BlueSTAR.
I developed the GMLAN version in an SRX and it works great.
www.costartech.com
You can see some more info in the av section of this forum.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/143407-onstar-bluetooth-conversion-completed.html#post1556213
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks!

Interesting product, but your application list stops at the 2008 SRX. I know GM makes running changes and don't want to assume it'll work.

In the meantime I did take OnStars 200 minute offer for $55.95 which then rolled the 30 free minutes given as a CPO vehicle. Giving me 230 minutes for the year, should be plenty for my needs. But I would like options later on.

Thanks

Tom
USAF Retired

davidaugust111
04-09-09, 10:41 AM
Tom,

Have you learned any more about the Lockpick product? I want to keep my Onstar, too.

USAFRET
04-09-09, 02:26 PM
Tom,

Have you learned any more about the Lockpick product? I want to keep my Onstar, too.

Haven't received a response to my e-mail inquiry about it working on a 2009. If you visit their web site they show a real time video where the kit is installed in 15 minutes, it's plug and play.

In the mean time I bought some cheap minutes from OnStar to ($14.95 for 100 plus the 30 free) to at least have Hands Free capability while I'm driving on the USAF base I work on.

I'll let you know what they say if/when they respond.

Cheers

Tom

RustyBlazerDude
04-09-09, 02:52 PM
FYI,
The 'Lock Pick' device installs behind the radio and with an external mute input, will put the radio in phone mode. It does not however, have any bluetooth capability, you still need to purchase a complete aftermarket bluetooth kit, and run the microphone wires and keypad. the lock pick device will allow you to run the audio output from the hands free kit to the radio.

Any aftermarked bluetooth kit should work with the lock pick, you might want to look into Parrot or Motorola kit like the IHF1000.

The BlueSTAR kit kind of combines these two functions together(aftermarket hands free kit and radio mute functionality aka Lock pick), at the cost of removing the onstar. Plus it allows you to use existing hardware including mic, keypad and steering wheel controls, none of which can be done with an external aftermarket approach.

USAFRET
04-09-09, 03:17 PM
FYI,
The 'Lock Pick' device installs behind the radio and with an external mute input, will put the radio in phone mode. It does not however, have any bluetooth capability, you still need to purchase a complete aftermarket bluetooth kit, and run the microphone wires and keypad. the lock pick device will allow you to run the audio output from the hands free kit to the radio.

Any aftermarked bluetooth kit should work with the lock pick, you might want to look into Parrot or Motorola kit like the IHF1000.

The BlueSTAR kit kind of combines these two functions together(aftermarket hands free kit and radio mute functionality aka Lock pick), at the cost of removing the onstar. Plus it allows you to use existing hardware including mic, keypad and steering wheel controls, none of which can be done with an external aftermarket approach.

It seems both solutions are a compromise. Hence the reason I bought some On Star minutes to hold me over until I can decide what's more important. Pity GM didn’t include Bluetooth in the newer SRX’s.

Thanks for the accurate response.