: 2006 Both Catalytic converter's replaced at 40k

marcwsu
04-03-09, 11:37 AM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post this because I'm wondering if there is an overall problem here in these vehicles.. We have 40k on our srx and over the weekend, beer cans were rumbling under the car.. you would of thought we just got married :cool2:

just picked it up today and they replaced both converters as they went bad. They said they found no other issues when I asked how both went bad and at 40k. At least we have our warranty otherwise it would of been pretty costly!

prmanson
05-20-09, 10:22 AM
I just got my 2006 SRX back from the dealership yesterda. Friday I had the same "beer cans under the car" sound that you described (although I couldn't put it into words quite as well as you did!). They replaced only teh right catalytic converter, and with only 2,500 miles left on my warranty, I am now concerned that the left will go just after the warranty is up.

They also replaced the water pump that was leaking (check coolant message came up on Monday when I started the car), and they found the battery was "blackened" at the left lower bracket, and found the positive battery cable was shorting out, and replaced that as well.

I am giving some serious thought to trading in the vehicle on something for a lower payment and better gas mileage, with what I consider to be two major items failing just inside the warranty period. Kind of makes me wonder "what's next". Expensive repairs ontop of a fairly high payment are not conducive with today's economy, at least for me.

TTopJohn
05-20-09, 11:33 AM
Other than some manufacturing flaw in the converter itself, I know of only a few thigns that kill cats - overheating , contamination, and "blunt force trauma" aka something hard hitting the cat and knocking the catalyst material apart.

Both overheating and contamination can happen if your air fuel ratio gets out of whack, say due to leaks that let unmetered air into the engine, or a malfunction in one of the sensors (MAF, 02, etc..) that the engine computer uses to determine how much fuel to add. Usually, but not always, these things will trigger a check engine light long before they melt or clog a cat. Any issues with check engine lights?

Of coruse, it could be that the cat supplier simply made a bad batch. Universal cats from say Magnaflow or Carsound are generally a cheap solution to bad cats once you get out of warranty. Any competent exhaust shop can install.

c5 rv
05-20-09, 11:36 AM
I believe the warranty period for emissions equipment, like the catalytic converters, is 8 yr / 80K miles.

If you want to keep you car, consider a GMPP warranty: http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmpp.htm

Otherwise, trading it in and getting something new or a CPO unit with a 100K bumper-to-bumper warranty is also a good idea.

z32drifter
05-22-09, 10:31 PM
They just replaced the cats on our SRX about 2 months ago (46K mies). Check eng light came on, no noise or other issues.

cfishkin
05-24-09, 12:39 AM
I wonder how abnormal oil usage affects the cats.

drjothen
08-01-09, 08:03 PM
Ours just hit 45k and it appears that at least one of the Cats is bad. Beer cans under the car is a very good description of the noise. I have owned about 19 cars in the past 21 years and never had anything like this. Also just got to replace the waterpump as well!

Superjim
08-02-09, 09:01 PM
Ours just hit 45k and it appears that at least one of the Cats is bad. Beer cans under the car is a very good description of the noise. I have owned about 19 cars in the past 21 years and never had anything like this. Also just got to replace the waterpump as well!

The CATS will be under warranty.
8 years or 100,000 miles.

david1
08-03-09, 10:38 AM
"Beer can" rattle is caused when the fiber matting that wraps the ceramic block has deteriorated and has blown out. Hence the block just desintegrates inside the can.

drjothen
08-11-09, 05:13 PM
Apparently they had a recall on Cats in 05 but mine isn't showing as one of the affected. They are replacing it under the 80k warranty (note 80k not 100k per the dealer). Let's just hope we are done with repairs for awhile.

am6948
08-20-09, 07:39 AM
I had the same issues with my '04, cats were replaced under recall notice and my leaky water pump was replaced at 34K miles.

am6948

inurok
08-20-09, 08:43 AM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post this because I'm wondering if there is an overall problem here in these vehicles.. We have 40k on our srx and over the weekend, beer cans were rumbling under the car.. you would of thought we just got married :cool2:

just picked it up today and they replaced both converters as they went bad. They said they found no other issues when I asked how both went bad and at 40k. At least we have our warranty otherwise it would of been pretty costly!

Same thing happened to mine at 36,000 miles.

nguyendot
09-17-09, 07:59 AM
Happened to my STS at 35.5k, right converter died. I still get the beer can sound only on startup and first acceleration. Once it heats up no problem.