: Watch beatter than rolex ?

Stoneage_Caddy
07-08-04, 10:50 PM
well at least for mildly paranoid people such as myself :

http://www.gammawatch.com/

back to covering all the walls in my room with tin foil :hide:

Vesicant
07-08-04, 11:28 PM
Well, not sure about it being better. But have you ever heard of a Rolex being able to detect radiation? :coolgleam

Stoneage_Caddy
07-08-04, 11:36 PM
It would be a good feature wouldnt it ?

Always thought about getting a geiger counter , im curious as to whats out there .

Vesicant
07-09-04, 12:20 AM
Yeah, me too. Ive been thinking about getting an old civil defense one, from the cold war days. :D

Heres a list of natural radioactive stuff:

http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/natural.htm (scroll down)

You can buy hand held digital ones for less than the watch.. lol

http://www.geigercounters.com/

That ticking/static sound still freaks me out. :suspense:

Ralph
07-09-04, 02:18 AM
That's a neat toy, but I'd rather have one of those Timex watches that tell you your pulse rate. It might come in handy while picking my next Natty avatar. :p

daacon
07-09-04, 08:52 AM
ummm definetly marketing to a "Target Audience"

"More and more ordinary citizens are interested in personal radiation protection"
No ordinary citizens I know have expressed this concern (maybe in the 50's at the hieght of the home bomb shelter building days) - then again I may not know many "oridnary" citizens :D

"The GammaMaster alarms when user defined limits of dose rate or cumulative dose are reached" - hahaha then what ask Scotty to Beam you up ?

T_Dogg8
07-09-04, 09:00 AM
ummm definetly marketing to a "Target Audience"

"More and more ordinary citizens are interested in personal radiation protection"
No ordinary citizens I know have expressed this concern (maybe in the 50's at the hieght of the home bomb shelter building days) - then again I may not know many "oridnary" citizens :D

"The GammaMaster alarms when user defined limits of dose rate or cumulative dose are reached" - hahaha then what ask Scotty to Beam you up ?
better ask quick. poor scotty has parkinsons and alzheimer's.

Blackout
07-09-04, 09:29 AM
Any watch is better then a rolex. Rolex are ugly overpriced pieces of shit. I've never been a fan of them and I never will be a fan of them. A rolex does the same thing that a 25 cent watch I can get out of a bubblegum machine at the super market does.

Rolex
07-09-04, 11:31 AM
Any watch is better then a rolex. Rolex are ugly overpriced pieces of shit. I've never been a fan of them and I never will be a fan of them. A rolex does the same thing that a 25 cent watch I can get out of a bubblegum machine at the super market does.
This put a smile on my face when I read it. When have you ever worn a Rolex watch? Have you ever heard the story about sour grapes??? :histeric:

daacon
07-09-04, 11:45 AM
Could always do a "Krammer" and go by the position of the Sun and Moon - he even said he is accurate within 3 -4 hours :bonkers:

T_Dogg8
07-09-04, 11:51 AM
This put a smile on my face when I read it. When have you ever worn a Rolex watch? Have you ever heard the story about sour grapes??? :histeric:
i was thinking the same thing. overpriced?? you could make that arguement. but to say every rolex is ugly is an argument you will never win.

Blackout
07-09-04, 02:36 PM
but to say every rolex is ugly is an argument you will never win.I need to argue my opinions now? :rolleyes2 And yes I've worn a few Rolex's and they feel the same as my other watches that I own. So wtf does wearing the watch have to do with anything? I have Kenneth Cole, Timex, Casio G Shocks, Mossimo's, Guess, Swatch, Relic, and Citizen. So I could really careless about Rolex because it looks pretty with its diamonds and whatnot. So I have enclosed the following picture

edit: This is a PG-rated site. Image removed.

T_Dogg8
07-09-04, 04:19 PM
I need to argue my opinions now? :rolleyes2 And yes I've worn a few Rolex's and they feel the same as my other watches that I own. So wtf does wearing the watch have to do with anything? I have Kenneth Cole, Timex, Casio G Shocks, Mossimo's, Guess, Swatch, Relic, and Citizen. So I could really careless about Rolex because it looks pretty with its diamonds and whatnot. So I have enclosed the following picture
someone seems a bit bitter about something. you don't have to argue anything, i could care less. but to say every rolex is ugly doesn't make sense, especially when you have watches with the same style in your pic. so apparently you do like that style, just don't think it's worth the money.

Elvis
07-09-04, 06:35 PM
There are better watches. But for the past 20 years, I haven't worn much else, unless I'm working on something dangerous or messy.

elwesso
07-09-04, 08:50 PM
I just got a citizen eco drive and I love it to death... Ill post a picture in a litlte while..... Its golden, and never needs a new battery!

Msilva954
07-09-04, 09:02 PM
OT...but Elvis, is that the one and only PUDGE R.....who happens to still belong on the Florida Marlins.....I knew he would regret it too....he still gets teary eyed.

RERM
07-09-04, 09:06 PM
Patek Philippe.

Ralph
07-10-04, 02:41 AM
I just got a citizen eco drive and I love it to death... Ill post a picture in a litlte while..... Its golden, and never needs a new battery!

I bought an Eco Drive for myslelf a couple of years ago, but then I gave it to my Dad. It was running a minute fast per month, not good quartz accuracy! It was black face, black leather strap, round silver bezel, with day-date feature. They use a lithium ion battery which will supposedly have to be replaced around 10 years or so.

Ralph
07-10-04, 02:50 AM

Ahhh, the 25 cent watch MAY be more accurate (there are exceptions) but it wasn't assembled by Swiss horologists containing over 200 moving parts that have to be tested and oiled perfectly and pass 15 days of COSC testing. ;)(1,000 hours of testing for JLC) The beauty of a fine mechanical watch is in the movement. Something watch guys understand. A quartz watch is a process of industrialization and not hand-made, and is also thrown away when the circut dies. Mechanical watches are not effected by magnetic fields, or EMP from a nucleur warhead. :p Mechanicals like Rolex, Tissot, Omega can be kept running for generations with proper maintenance and an occasional overhaul of gear trains. I've got my Dad's 1962 Swiss Bulova with 17 jewelled movement, and it still runs to within a second per day! How cool is having 400 year old technology on your wrist that never has to be wound, or reliant on a battery. Very! :worship:

Here is a pic off the net that's the same model as my Tissot. (Omega movement) I'm not sure what the number before the date is, it could be some sort of prototype? Otherwise identical.

Jesda
07-10-04, 07:31 AM
Its just a timepiece! Get a Timex!

El Dobro
07-10-04, 09:59 AM
I'm still using my 13 year old Timex Indiglo and it took a licking and is still ticking.

Elvis
07-10-04, 10:51 PM
OT...but Elvis, is that the one and only PUDGE R.....who happens to still belong on the Florida Marlins.....I knew he would regret it too....he still gets teary eyed.

Yes Msilva, that IS the one and only Pudge Rodriguez, the best catcher in the game today, who not only leads the AL in batting average, but also will be the starting catcher in the All-Star Game next week.

And no, I don't think he regrets it @ $11 million a year. Plus, he still gets to kiss Ugueth Urbina after every save. He's not homesick at all!

http://www.mlb.com/images/2003/10/25/byf4WvT4.jpg

:canttalk: (not that there's anything WRONG with that...)

D148L0
07-11-04, 12:08 AM
Any watch is better then a rolex. Rolex are ugly overpriced pieces of shit. I've never been a fan of them and I never will be a fan of them. A rolex does the same thing that a 25 cent watch I can get out of a bubblegum machine at the super market does.Ouch.
I can't argue with the ugly part, even if I don't share it, there's a watch for every taste.
But I can say that a Kia does the same thing as a Cadillac, and I wouldn't agree if somebody calls a caddy an overpriced piece of shit. Even if I wouldn't take my rolex daytona to any formal event, I enjoy every time I wear it. ;)

Vesicant
07-11-04, 12:19 AM
I find that fake rolex's from accross the border in Mexico are very satisfying...:p

Use to have one until the band broke, not the watch itself but the band... bah

Stoneage_Caddy
07-11-04, 05:15 PM
rolex daytona ?

is this the watch they give to the driver that wins the 24? thatd be the only rolex i would ever be interested in ....

D148L0
07-12-04, 12:33 AM
I think they do (or did, I might be wrong).

RERM
07-12-04, 01:15 PM
My new watch, it's italian, called Anonimo Power Reserve.

Msilva954
07-12-04, 03:16 PM
Yes Msilva, that IS the one and only Pudge Rodriguez, the best catcher in the game today, who not only leads the AL in batting average, but also will be the starting catcher in the All-Star Game next week.

Yea, he'll be at home with 4 other Marlins at the All Star game.

Elvis
07-12-04, 04:32 PM
Yea, he'll be at home with 4 other Marlins at the All Star game.

My previous post was in error: Pudge is not just leading the AL in batting average, he's leading the entire Major League! The Tigers are only 5-1/2 games out of 1st, and just won 2/3 in NYC against the Yankees, and 3/4 in Minneapolis against the Twinkies. Both teams lead their divisions.

Fasten your seatbelts. If they stay healthy and find some pitching, they might make a run in the 2nd half.

Ralph
07-13-04, 01:48 AM
My new watch, it's italian, called Anonimo Power Reserve.

Very nice. I've never heard of that brand, does it have a see-through-back? How accurate is it? My Tissot is currently running 7-10 secs fast per day, which is good for a non-chronometer. I think a power reserve indicator is a useful device to have, especially if the timepiece has been sitting for awhile.

RERM
07-14-04, 01:22 AM
Very nice. I've never heard of that brand, does it have a see-through-back? How accurate is it? My Tissot is currently running 7-10 secs fast per day, which is good for a non-chronometer. I think a power reserve indicator is a useful device to have, especially if the timepiece has been sitting for awhile.

Check them out: http://www.anonimo.com/

They're a small company, not a huge production run.

RERM
07-14-04, 01:25 AM
And yes, I'm kind of a watch freak. :lildevil:

Ralph
07-14-04, 02:27 AM
And yes, I'm kind of a watch freak. :lildevil:

You too!! Here are some of my favs;

www.jaeger-lecoultre.com

www.blancpain.com

www.ulysse-nardin.com

www.glashuette-original.com

www.tissot.ch

www.omegawatches.com

www.parmigiani.com

RERM
07-14-04, 09:21 AM
Check out :

www.anonimo.com
http://www.bellross.com/
http://www.glycine-watch.ch/
http://www.jeanmarcel.com/en/index.html
http://www.limeswatches-us.com/
http://www.muehle-uhren.com/english/
http://www.zenowatchbasel.com/index.htm

and I still own my first watch, a Tissot PR 50.

Check out my little collection:

RERM
07-14-04, 09:22 AM
Oops! how'd a picture of my car get there??? :lildevil:

Ralph
07-15-04, 03:30 AM
Nice collection, into chronographs I see. I've got a few, no more quartz for me, I am fascinated by mechanicals now. :devil: If only I could get a see-through back for my Seastar. I've got a W.German quartz that I bought in 1991 called "SEQUEL." It's gold plated, complications include moon phase, day- date, secs. I still cannot find ANY information on this watch, and I've been to all the major Forums on the subject! Ever heard of it?? I normally don't like anything over 36 mm in diameter, too big and clunky. I like the Rolex mid-size line.

PR 50, that's quartz, right? Supposedly Bill Gates bought a T-Touch and wears it daily.

RERM
07-16-04, 02:45 AM
Nice collection, into chronographs I see. I've got a few, no more quartz for me, I am fascinated by mechanicals now. :devil: If only I could get a see-through back for my Seastar. I've got a W.German quartz that I bought in 1991 called "SEQUEL." It's gold plated, complications include moon phase, day- date, secs. I still cannot find ANY information on this watch, and I've been to all the major Forums on the subject! Ever heard of it?? I normally don't like anything over 36 mm in diameter, too big and clunky. I like the Rolex mid-size line.

PR 50, that's quartz, right? Supposedly Bill Gates bought a T-Touch and wears it daily.

PR 50 is quartz, btw all of them (except the Anonimo and the Tissot) are see through...I know what you mean about the mechanicals, it's facinating when you start to really look at them.

RERM
08-19-04, 11:43 PM
Ok, so I need help deciding on my next watch, I like these three but can't seem to make up my mind!!!

Ralph
08-19-04, 11:46 PM
Ok, so I need help deciding on my next watch, I like these three but can't seem to make up my mind!!!

What 3?

RERM
08-19-04, 11:51 PM
What 3?

Sorry, pictures didn't quite come out. These:

Ralph
08-20-04, 12:02 AM
I've seen those Tag Targa's, they are based on the 1951-53 race in Sicily, by race driver Juan-Manual Fangio. They cost about $4500 cdn, or $34.00 U.S. ;) Very Retro, but I prefer the Monza without chrono.

I can't make out the second model, and the third seems a smaller diameter like around 36 mm? (My choice) What are you leaning towards, I know you like chrographs.

What brands are the last two??? Are they Italian?

illumina
08-20-04, 12:05 AM
000[5].jpg

this watch works well for me. the "belt buckle" does too... :lildevil:

Ralph
08-20-04, 12:10 AM
000[5].jpg

this watch works well for me. the "belt buckle" does too... :lildevil:
Sony is a good brand. :) I have to wind up my alarm clock, but I don't mind because the ticking helps me sleep. :hmm:

Did you know they had the nerve to make brass knuckles illegal in Canada?! And your avatar gives me nightmares! :hide:

RERM
08-20-04, 12:12 AM
The second one is a Girard-Perregaux, swiss:

the third one is an italian Anonimo.

Ralph
08-20-04, 12:20 AM
The second one is a Girard-Perregaux, swiss:

the third one is an italian Anonimo.

Well if you're serious and want my opinion, go with the GP if you can afford it. Swiss/18k/chrono's will hold their value and actually appreciate in value if cared for. Personally I don't care for Italian tickers because the respect still lies with the Swiss.

Tags are good, but they use modified ETA movements, and even my mid-line Tissot has a good ETA engine. Go with GP. What do you think?

illumina
08-20-04, 12:38 AM
there you go, i toned the avatar down a little. :D

RERM
08-20-04, 12:41 AM
Well if you're serious and want my opinion, go with the GP if you can afford it. Swiss/18k/chrono's will hold their value and actually appreciate in value if cared for. Personally I don't care for Italian tickers because the respect still lies with the Swiss.

Tags are good, but they use modified ETA movements, and even my mid-line Tissot has a good ETA engine. Go with GP. What do you think?

I'm leaning towards the GP, however the Tag is the watch that originally got me going this time around. I'm really into the classic Chrono look. The Anonimo is nice, but you are correct, the Swiss still rule the watchmaking industry, for good reason.

Ralph
08-20-04, 12:59 AM
I'm leaning towards the GP

See, watch guys think alike. :halo: I love the Tags too, but it's not as much an investiment as the GP, and probably not too much price difference.

I don't want to manipulate this whole conversation, I hope others will contribute as well. :canttalk:

If we were going just by appearance, I prefer the non chronos, and I like that last one, but I would always prefer Swiss. :) My Tissot is still consistent at 7-10 secs fast per day, and I've had it a year in Sept.

Playdrv4me
08-22-04, 01:55 AM
A. Lange and Sohne, Jaeger LeCoultre, PATEK PHILIPPE (quite possibly the best in the world), Ulysse Nardin...

are ALL probably BETTER than Rolex, but to me, nothing quite gives the look and feel of a Rolex but a Rolex. Not to mention its one of the most recognized brands and designs in the world. They are something to aspire to, and alot of people never realize that. One of their commercials I saw recently (in fact the ONLY one Ive seen as long as I can remember) had a picture of the Rolex GMT and simply said "The Rolex GMT...Each one takes a year to produce... almost as long as it takes to deserve one" or some such quote that really hit the point home. Ive owned a Datejust, a Submariner, a GMT, and an Airking, and all of them have had their own little bit of magic that is just hard to describe.

Actually... for the average Joe, there is a TON of GREAT watches under 100 bucks (and alot over 100 bucks too) on the SHOPNBC Television network about three times a week Mon-Wed-Sun nights. They sell quartz and Mechanicals by Invicta, Jaque Lemans, Zeno and other brands and many of the coolest mechanicals are like 80-250.00, a great start for a person who wants to have a nice watch without spending uber bucks

ben72227
08-22-04, 03:35 AM
If I ever get rich enough to buy a watch thats more expensive than a Cadillac :D it would probably be a Jacob & Co. watch:

http://www.jacobandco.com/ftz_fs1.htm

I love the 5 time zone collection. Something about it that draws me to it.

But until that day comes, i will just stick to my timex from j.c. penneys. lol.

Ralph
08-22-04, 04:10 PM
A. Lange and Sohne, Jaeger LeCoultre, PATEK PHILIPPE (quite possibly the best in the world), Ulysse Nardin...

are ALL probably BETTER than Rolex, but to me, nothing quite gives the look and feel of a Rolex but a Rolex. Not to mention its one of the most recognized brands and designs in the world. They are something to aspire to, and alot of people never realize that. One of their commercials I saw recently (in fact the ONLY one Ive seen as long as I can remember) had a picture of the Rolex GMT and simply said "The Rolex GMT...Each one takes a year to produce... almost as long as it takes to deserve one" or some such quote that really hit the point home. Ive owned a Datejust, a Submariner, a GMT, and an Airking, and all of them have had their own little bit of magic that is just hard to describe.

Actually... for the average Joe, there is a TON of GREAT watches under 100 bucks (and alot over 100 bucks too) on the SHOPNBC Television network about three times a week Mon-Wed-Sun nights. They sell quartz and Mechanicals by Invicta, Jaque Lemans, Zeno and other brands and many of the coolest mechanicals are like 80-250.00, a great start for a person who wants to have a nice watch without spending uber bucks

The nice thing about Rolex Ian is the fact that what makes them a true luxury brand is that they also produce all the pieces "inhouse." Meaning they don't buy some parts from elsewhere and put them into their watches. Omega and Ulyssee Nardin are guilty of this, however it doesn't necessarily mean it is an inferior product. Omega usually buys movements from ETA (supply more than 50% of all Swiss movements) and then proceed to modify them to their liking and accuracy standards, etc. There is also something about the term "Swiss Made" that means something at the bottom of the watch. If I recall correctly, it means that at least 50% of the parts and final adjustments/tuning are made and performed in Switzerland. Usually the case and bracelets can be of a cheaper brand, but must pass quality standards of the watch brand. "T Swiss Made T" also means something concerning the percentage of outsourced parts or ?. I'll try to find the link, but in the meantime check this link out guys: (the most complete brand source I've ever found) While there if you want a beautiful, hard cover and expensive book-type brochure FREE, click JLC, Glasshute or Girard-Perregaux. They seem more than happy to mail them to potential customers!

Ben, that thing is HUGE! At 47mm, it's practically the size of a small dog. :D

http://www.watchlinks.net/eng.htm

Ralph
08-22-04, 05:46 PM
Here is the link for what is involved in "Swiss Made." Scroll down to "S"

http://bjsonline.com/watches/glossary/

Looks like Mr. Phelps of the U.S. Olympic Swim team didn't have to buy his Omega Seamaster. :worship:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=897445&rid=0

Elvis
08-22-04, 08:06 PM
Ahhhhhhh........

Cindy :D