: Stress cracks in wood radio trim

amgqmp1
04-01-09, 07:06 PM
Howdy all! Last week I had an FM modulator installed in my '05 STS V8 (non-nav, 8 speaker). The trim piece that goes around the radio (the one that has to be removed to gain access to the radio, it has the two center vents in it) now has a few stress cracks. I figured that would happen, and, it's not a big deal...but, I'd like to order a replacement. I checked GMPartsDirect, but, I couldn't locate that particular part.

Anyone have thoughts on sourcing a replacement?

Alternatively, anyone have thoughts on an aftermarket wood dash trim kit? The only wood in mine is around the radio, the shifter console, and the piece above the glove box...so, it would (potentially) be an upgrade.

ifmracin
04-01-09, 08:01 PM
I would be pissed off and getting whoever cracked it to replace it. That's unacceptable.

I've removed mine without hurting it, you just need to take your time and do it correctly.

prospyder
04-01-09, 08:12 PM
An aftermarket kit is a good idea if the original wood trim cannot be refinsihed.
Use caution if you buy an aftermarket wood trim kit. First, many of the suppliers, especially on eBay, are selling fake wood kits and they look like it. Second, even those who are selling real wood veneer kits are not always selling quality kits: the finish may fade and/or discolor. Check the feedback if you buy from eBay or check for independent customer reviews if you buy from one of the internet sources.

amgqmp1
04-01-09, 08:16 PM
I would be pissed off and getting whoever cracked it to replace it. That's unacceptable.

I've removed mine without hurting it, you just need to take your time and do it correctly.

Actually, I was the first one to remove the trim piece...which I did carefully. The cracks didn't appear immediately...they showed up a couple days later. I'm not worried about placing blame, just trying to solve the problem. :thumbsup:

DTS_BOI
04-02-09, 12:16 PM
DO NOT BUY CHEAP AFTERMARKET... Ebay is your friend. I have just found many used STS wood bezels priced at about 50 - 60 bucks. Good luck!

ifmracin
04-02-09, 12:33 PM
Actually, I was the first one to remove the trim piece...which I did carefully. The cracks didn't appear immediately...they showed up a couple days later. I'm not worried about placing blame, just trying to solve the problem. :thumbsup:

Ahh, that's cool then.