: $788 To fix P0410 Code

italy62
04-01-09, 05:44 PM
i have a 2002 SLS i know this has been talked about 100 times but when the caddy dealership said my CNA warranty didn't cover this P0410 code for the secondary air pump job and it was going to cost me $788 to fix i was stunned.after reading all the posts i wanted to know if someone with a SLS can walk me trough this job.i am not a mechanic but i do my own brakes,oil and other small repairs and feel i can do it but reading all the other posts i don't see one for a SLS and i am not sure if it is exactly the same.caddy said the parts 19515549 and 88988942 were going to cost me $362 and the rest was labor.the auto zone manager said he could get me the GM parts for $280 and then i saw GMDirect and they were $124.62 and $22.06.so if there is anybody who has the time and knowledge to explain this job to me i would be greatfull,and are these the only 2 parts i need? i also read about check valves and blocked hoses with carbon in them so if i just should bite the bullett and pay the $788 tell me.i just need the steps how to do it and the locations of the parts.

Submariner409
04-01-09, 06:03 PM
The A.I.R. pump is known to fail from water ingestion. Hopefully the rest of the system is OK.

The pump itself is up inside the left front wheelwell. Remove the tire and plastic liner. That part is a simple connector/hose clamp replacement job. Route the air intake hose well away from any splash or direct water exposure possibility.

The rest of it would be murder: the 2 manifold valves and piping.

The system is emissions related, so maybe you could use that for some compensation.

codewize
04-01-09, 06:35 PM
Are you sure the pump has failed? Have you been under the hood lately ?

italy62
04-02-09, 06:58 AM
what do you mean the "rest will be murder"? i really not sure what your saying.and yes i am sure the pump is gone.i was getting this winding noise for awhile when i started it cold and then it turned into this ugly embarrassing noise and then it was gone and the check engin light came on.is there more to this job than i think?

Submariner409
04-02-09, 08:25 AM
The pump and intake hose are removed by jacking up the car, sit it on jackstands under the cradle corners, and remove the wheel and inner plastic fender liner. Not a hard job with basic tools. For any specialized work you'll need a GM Factory service Manual, not one from Chilton's or Haynes (too generic).

The other parts, if necessary, (individual manifold operating valves and hosing) are very difficult to get to and remove/replace.

Call Luke in parts at Lindsay Cadillac over there ------------> and see if he can give you some help on the correct pump and kit. Otherwise, use www.gmotors.com or www.gmpartsdirect.com

italy62
04-02-09, 09:17 AM
individual manifold operating valves and hosing are always part of replaceing the secondary air pump? i am going to go get the car now and the tech said the only problem was the pump GM # 19515549 and the connector hose GM # 88988942. are these other problems directly related to this job? and wouldn't cadillac already know if these also needed to be replaced.i asked cadillac for all the part needed for the fix that was the $788 and those were the only 2 they gave me.you sould like you know alot about this would you be willing to call me on the phone collect?

codewize
04-02-09, 10:48 AM
OK, I was just checking because it's very very easy to knock off a certain vaccum hose that will cause that code.

The last time I looked I think, don't quote me but I think the pump was something between $300 - $400.

Submariner409
04-02-09, 12:29 PM
I believe that I said "if necessary". The individual valves are probably OK. If the dealer and tech gave you no indication other than the pump and hose, then you're good to go with that.

italy62
04-03-09, 10:27 AM
got stressed out and paid the $788.00 car is fixed.

codewize
04-03-09, 10:48 AM
LOL, considering the cost of parts there I think you did OK. I'm not sure what's involved in changing that thing but if you just need it fixed and don't have the time or desire to DIY then you did well.

ktraub
04-03-09, 02:41 PM
Hey Sub 409,

My '03 STS is popping the PO410 every other day and I live in ANP.
Any suggestions for a place to get it fixed other than Fitzgerald, or are they my best bet around here?

-Kev

Submariner409
04-03-09, 03:23 PM
I've never had a problem with Fitzgerald. Some warranty work in '06/'07, some general maintenance in late '07. Parts here and there, BUT I have a trade account. Also, I bought the car there and make it a point to stick my head in the door when I'm across the bridge. That said, dealer labor rates are not cheap.....so that's your call. I moved to the Shore 22 years ago, so all my old car shop contacts over there are gone forever. When I buy another Cadillac I'll get it from Fitzgerald or Lindsay.

ezed1
04-07-09, 10:05 AM
$788.00 the sealer is a robber:gun2:, enron etc.I did an 03 deville awhile back peice of cake i got the part off of ebay for $182.00 shipping included
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04-DEVILLE-SECONDARY-AIR-PUMP-PRO-KIT-GM-3079C_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el111 6QQhashZitem330320383559QQitemZ330320383559QQptZMo torsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
if the pump is totally gone then you will need to change the pump fuse which is one of the large ones in the engine compartment fuse box, also you will have to open the airbox and lift the PCM out of the way to snap in new improved hose which snaps in behind the PCM.The motor mount job is way harder then this and cost less that price is way to much for this type of job

ezed1
04-07-09, 02:55 PM
Delete