: Smell Coolant after Driving??

cady97dev
04-01-09, 12:41 PM
Hello I own a 97 Deville that just turned 100k. When driving you can smell coolant evaporating from the engine bay. I checked my coolant over flow and its full. It's not my heater core. I took the engine cover of and noticed a wet spot on the top left side of motor. The wet spot is located above heater pipes right behind the egr valve. Looks like a metal housing that mates to the side of the Head. You can see a black rubber gasket between the metal housing and the head. Any solutions on how to fix? Name of housing?

Also what is the Normal operating temp?? I know N* motors run hotter than mustangs i am use to working on.

My Deville reaches around 226 while in traffic then it kicks down to 223ish. I a worried about warping aluminum parts!!! Or blow a Gasket!!!

George

Submariner409
04-01-09, 03:18 PM
Your car could go to 225 in traffic when the fans go to slow. If any A/C compressor function is commanded the fans run constantly, so you should never see more than about 204......196-208 is normal.

Check your coolant COLD only, then 1/2 way up in the tank. The airspace allows the entire system coolant to expand, build pressure to 16 psi (which raises the boil point of 50/50 coolant to about 260), and not overflow the surge tank.

If there's too much coolant in the tank, there's no place for it to go as it expands, so it blows out the vent in the cap.

If you have a weeping or pinhole in one of the heater or crossover coolant pipes or fittings, the fix is tedious contortion. The metal coolant pipes which run behind the engine are dealer items. You might have a leak in the (earlier) heated throttlebody gasket or casting.

cady97dev
04-01-09, 03:28 PM
Thanks Sub... I am having a problem with my AC system also. Get message "Service AC System" and "AC Compressor Off". I was thinking that had a part to my problems. Because I can here the AC Clutch ingage or try to and the temp drops right after that. I am replacing the compressor very soon. Hopefully that will help with some of the problems.

If I post a pic would you be able to tell which part I have to order?? I dont want to remove part then go searching dealers for part.

Submariner409
04-01-09, 03:42 PM
Sure........post a couple of pics with decent lighting. There are a lot of mid-90's Northstar owners here who will understand the throttlebody area.

cady97dev
04-01-09, 04:01 PM
I just saw a pic from the Service Manual someone had a link too on the forum here. It looks like it is the Water Pump Assembly Housing....is weeping right behind the EGR Valve where it mates with the head..Doeas this sound right??? I am mechanically inclined just so we are on the same page. Just need to know name of part so i can get gaskets or i will just use rtv sealant. If it is ok to use on caddy motors???

Ranger
04-01-09, 04:33 PM
Yeah, that's the right part aka crossover manifold. It is a real PITA to change though.

FWIW, my '97 ran a consistent 205-215.

Submariner409
04-01-09, 06:49 PM
EGR valve back by the firewall side or A.I.R. valve just in front of the water pump/belt assembly, next to the "lower" radiator hose??

Makes a difference, because the water pump and thermostat housing are a breeze compared to the water crossover manifold, a screaming, all day royal PITA.

Ranger
04-01-09, 10:24 PM
Wait a minute Sub. Isn't the water pump housed in the crossover manifold, thus water pump housing and crossover manifold are one in the same.

Submariner409
04-01-09, 10:46 PM
Pulling the water pump and/or the thermostat housing are a breeze compared to pulling the entire crossover..................the water pump twists CW out of the crossover recess.

Water pump cover and thermostat housing ???

Ranger
04-01-09, 10:53 PM
water pump twists CW out of the crossover recess.
That is what I'm saying. The water pump housing and the crossover are one in the same, right?

Submariner409
04-01-09, 11:01 PM
Thermostat housing...................coolant crossover.

Flat plate with hose tit............nasty big casting across the back of the engine.

Ranger
04-01-09, 11:08 PM
This is making less and less sense with each post. I'm saying that the crossover manifold and the water pump housing are two different terms for the same thing. You you agree or disagree?

JimD
04-01-09, 11:12 PM
In the words of Abbott and Costello;

Who's on 1st?

Submariner409
04-01-09, 11:23 PM
T-H-E-R-M-O-S-T-A-T housing. Coolant crossover.

Pulling the water pump (itself) and (removing) the thermostat housing are a breeze compared to (removing) the coolant crossover.

Back to Post 7. (water pump) - (thermostat housing).....breeze compared to........

Are we near a full moon ??? Yes, Easter is just ahead..........

Ranger
04-01-09, 11:31 PM
T-H-E-R-M-O-S-T-A-T housing. Coolant crossover.

Pulling the water pump (itself) and (removing) the thermostat housing are a breeze compared to (removing) the coolant crossover.

Back to Post 7. (water pump) - (thermostat housing).....breeze compared to........

Are we near a full moon ??? Yes, Easter is just ahead..........
Sub, you've been reading too many AJ posts. PLEASE just answer the question in post #12 and tell me we are talking about the same thing.

Submariner409
04-01-09, 11:40 PM
Yes, the coolant crossover and water pump housing are one casting. The thermostat housing bolts to the crossover casting outside of the water pump capsule.

Ranger
04-01-09, 11:47 PM
Yes, the coolant crossover and water pump housing are one casting. The thermostat housing bolts to the crossover casting outside of the water pump capsule.
Thank you. Your earlier post made it sound (to me) like you where saying that they where separate. I could not for the life of me figure out how we could disagree on this.

cady97dev
04-02-09, 11:14 AM
Well thanks guys for all that info....lol....I will have to tackle this one weekend.. It is getting nicer here in Boston so i will be get to this quick.. Whike i am in there i will change all the following beacuse they have to come out anyways....
Can I get these gaskets at local parts or dealer parts???
Do you guys recomended any particular ttpe of gasket sealant???
Looks like a royal PITA beacause it is very tight and lots of goodies need to be moved to access the crossover, water pump assembly, etc...........

cady97dev
04-02-09, 11:17 AM
Yeah, that's the right part aka crossover manifold. It is a real PITA to change though.

FWIW, my '97 ran a consistent 205-215.

Yes I have read they run hotter than normal.. But mine hits 226 regularly at that gets me nervious being aluminum and all..