: 78 Sedan DeVille Project

jebfrank
03-31-09, 10:02 PM
So about 4 years ago my uncle gave me his 78 Deville. I was pretty motivated back then to a complete restore, but had other priorities to take car of first. So 4 years later I am ready to fix her up. First off I suck at body work and have found a guy local to do the work for a decent price. He is also going to cut out the rust and replace it with metal! My question is I notice there are a few bad spots on my rear doors and I think I want to replace them over repairing them. Are there any good sources to find rear doors? I believe only 77, 78, 79 parts interchange. Also I am looking for a rear bumper which I believe has to be of the mention years. My plans are to have the body fixed, painted, and refresh the motor. Down to road I may get into do some interior work. My goal is to keep it as close to original looking as possible. I plan on posting pictures of this process step by step, can't wait to have it complete.:bouncy:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=603&pictureid=2937

bicentennialcadillac
03-31-09, 10:23 PM
Nice car, is it a d'Elegance?

77CDV
03-31-09, 11:12 PM
If you're looking to replace the doors completely, you'd have to go the j-yard route. There are salvage yards in the south and southwest that specialize in rust-free sheet metal and body parts. Check Hemmings and the internet. Best of luck with your resto.

Craig

jebfrank
04-01-09, 04:21 PM
Nice car, is it a d'Elegance?

I wish, I want to say it's as plan as they come, with the exception of the vinyl top.

jebfrank
04-01-09, 04:22 PM
If you're looking to replace the doors completely, you'd have to go the j-yard route. There are salvage yards in the south and southwest that specialize in rust-free sheet metal and body parts. Check Hemmings and the internet. Best of luck with your resto.

Craig

Thanks for the tip, I will be JY shopping all weekend, I checked on line and the local yard has a 77, 78, 79. Surely I should be able to get some parts of them.

bicentennialcadillac
04-01-09, 06:35 PM
I wish, I want to say it's as plan as they come, with the exception of the vinyl top.

Heh, she's loaded compared to mine - no vinyl top, no passenger side mirror.

How many miles does she have?

jebfrank
04-01-09, 08:29 PM
I will have to check, but I think it is sitting around 107k

gillesbd44
04-04-09, 06:55 PM
yes, nice car!!!