: Starting Problem

SRT ACE
03-31-09, 04:47 PM
My wife had a starting problem on Sunday that I could not replicate (entirely) upon returning home.

She told me the car would not start, that it sounded like it was turning over but not starting. I asked her to leave it alone and I would look at it later.

About two hours passed and I arrived home. I grabbed her keys and tried to fire her up. The car indeed turned over a couple times and seemed like it was starved for fuel/spark. I was just about to move my foot from the brake to the gas when it fired up. I left the car running for a few minutes and didn't detect any problems, throw any codes, or prompt any DIC messages.

Since then it has started okay roughly ten times. Has anyone had this or a similar problem with a known cause/fix?

Any other tests I can run?

Thanks!
ACE

david1
04-01-09, 09:09 AM
If you start the car then immediately shut it off. It will wash down the cylinders with fuel and in essence flood. Car cranks like the timing chain broke.

I held my foot on the pedal like the old days to air it out.

05awdupstater
04-01-09, 10:02 AM
My '05 V6 failed to start twice in the past two years. Both times was in the cold weather and the car had been run for less than a minute then shut off. It sat for several days and when cranking sounded like no compression. Of course the dealer never heard of the problem and could not duplicate the customers concern. I no longer shut off the car upon cold start for at least 5minutes.

cadillacroadside
04-01-09, 03:51 PM
ive run across this many times on roadside, it it usually happens when someone moves the car just a few feet and shuts it off, essentially like its flooded. not sure what causes this condition

SRT ACE
04-01-09, 10:37 PM
Hmm. Now that you mention it, the last time it was driven (Saturday evening) I started the car, moved it forward 10 feet, shut it off, started it 20 minutes later, and moved it back 10 feet.

Sounds like it ties in to what you all are saying...