: port the supercharger?

surgin
03-30-09, 11:17 PM
i was talking to the owner of speedsouth, a speed shop near birmingham about possible mods and among other things he recommended sending the supercharger off to have it "ported to remove casting flash" any recommendations on this?

Florian
03-30-09, 11:22 PM
there wont be any 'flash' left from the casting process...what will be left over is parting lines and casting roughness....both of which can be polished for smoother airflow.

F

Submariner409
03-30-09, 11:22 PM
Sure......Jump in there with a Dremel tool and some carbide bits and open that sucker up to the max. The GM engineers have absolutely no idea what they're doing.......you can always make it better.

surgin
03-30-09, 11:29 PM
i guess some master of the dremel could get marginally better air flow but does anyone think it would be worth the effort?

sizquik
03-30-09, 11:36 PM
Sure......Jump in there with a Dremel tool and some carbide bits and open that sucker up to the max. The GM engineers have absolutely no idea what they're doing.......you can always make it better.

I agree 100%. I don't get the mod thing with this car. The vast majority of owners can't even extract the performance potential the car has stock. Driving school is the best mod for this vehicle.

wait4me
03-30-09, 11:45 PM
The gain to be had is if someone makes a TALLER supercharger roof that allows the intercooler more room for flow. It is VERY close to the top of the current case, and is very restrictive as all the boost has to squeeze past that one small outlet. Taller, like say in inch would do wonders... That would also allow for the intercooler core to be alot better used. As it is now, i dont see the center of the core being used at higher boost as it would find the edges the shortest way to point B.

RapidRob
03-30-09, 11:47 PM
I agree 100%. I don't get the mod thing with this car. The vast majority of owners can't even extract the performance potential the car has stock. Driving school is the best mod for this vehicle.

:yeah: LOL!

Rob

surgin
03-31-09, 12:11 AM
had 3 1/2 hours on the barber track this weekend. :thumbsup:seems my rotors are warped now and i didnt do my rear differential any favors!:mad:

sizquik
03-31-09, 12:21 AM
had 3 1/2 hours on the barber track this weekend. :thumbsup:seems my rotors are warped now and i didnt do my rear differential any favors!:mad:
Jeez, sorry to hear. Do you have the upgraded brakes?

dvandentop
03-31-09, 01:11 AM
i am more guessing pad material smear and not warped rotors. check them or post pics on here.

they still havent released the rear diff kit?

musclesbmf
03-31-09, 11:05 AM
And back in '03 when the SC Cobra first came out they started porting Eaton blowers and got marginal gains. Over the years they "perfected" it so much they were getting gains of over 40RWHP. Better flow, more cfm, more power.

I believe Steigmeir was the company name that was doing the porting.

As for mods vs no mods... some people enjoy it and some people don't. No need to bash a guy for it. Too many haters on this board.

musclesbmf
03-31-09, 11:07 AM
Also after reading W4M post, I'm interested to see if he comes up with a solution that he was describing above. Also I keep waiting to hear when he puts on the bigger ZR1 blower (2.3L). Love to see those results.

Ketzer
03-31-09, 01:18 PM
Also after reading W4M post, I'm interested to see if he comes up with a solution that he was describing above. Also I keep waiting to hear when he puts on the bigger ZR1 blower (2.3L). Love to see those results.

I bet the main thing holding the mad scientist of Vs back is lack of access to reasonably priced spare parts. Although... complete ZR1 crate motors are available, I think...:Poke:

Jeff-

Florian
03-31-09, 03:37 PM
I bet the main thing holding the mad scientist of Vs back is lack of access to reasonably priced spare parts. Although... complete ZR1 crate motors are available, I think...:Poke:

Jeff-

they are....21K please.

F

Richie18
03-31-09, 05:26 PM

Even though the LS9 blower is larger (2.3 L vs 1.9L) the LSA supercharger spins faster.

surgin
03-31-09, 07:09 PM
i am more guessing pad material smear and not warped rotors. check them or post pics on here.

they still havent released the rear diff kit?

what is that?

surgin
03-31-09, 07:13 PM
Jeez, sorry to hear. Do you have the upgraded brakes?

uh oh if there was an upgraded brakes option i missed it. i have not inspected the brakes myself yet. would the dealer repair brakes under warranty since the car has 30000 miles?

dvandentop
03-31-09, 07:47 PM
what is that?

if the stock pads get too hot they will leave smears on the rotors and make them feel like they are warped or out of balance.

post a pic of your rotors on here and we can tell if maybe you just need to have the rotors sanded/turned

Razorecko
03-31-09, 08:22 PM
How can you tell you worked your rear end that hard ?

surgin
03-31-09, 08:51 PM
i will post some pics. they definitely vibrate/pulse and make a noise like warped rotors do,but i realize it could be what you say.

about the rear end:the idiot message appeared that said"rear differential is hot reduce speed" i then scrooled through the info screens and the temp was 215-220. this happened every session after 15 minutes of driving.

Razorecko
03-31-09, 09:30 PM
What sucks is because the V-unit was disbanded its a high probability that we'll never see that rear diff cooler...:(

Florian
04-01-09, 01:01 AM
How can you tell you worked your rear end that hard ?

twice in 2 threads, Razor....:thepan:

F

musclesbmf
04-01-09, 11:12 AM
Even though the LS9 blower is larger (2.3 L vs 1.9L) the LSA supercharger spins faster.

SPinning a blower faster is not better. Airflow CFM is what is important. If you can get the same CFM at lower blower speeds, the blower will be running more efficiently. More efficient means cooler temps which means more power. Also, to spin the larger blower faster, put on a smaller blower snout pulley, or larger blower crank pulley.

Mark

Hawkeye2
04-01-09, 11:22 AM
What sucks is because the V-unit was disbanded its a high probability that we'll never see that rear diff cooler...:(

I got a price and a part number since it is installed on the cars exported
to Europe. Ready..............................over $7,000 Cdn installed for
the Diff cooler!:eek:

Richie18
04-01-09, 11:35 AM
SPinning a blower faster is not better. Airflow CFM is what is important. If you can get the same CFM at lower blower speeds, the blower will be running more efficiently. More efficient means cooler temps which means more power. Also, to spin the larger blower faster, put on a smaller blower snout pulley, or larger blower crank pulley.

Mark

I was just simply stating the facts.

Hogg
04-01-09, 01:17 PM
they are....21K please.

F

The original 5.7 DOHC LT5 ZR1 engines used from 90-95 in the C4 went for $23,000 back in the mid 90's. The newer blown LS9 and LSA engines are no wheres near the complexity, but make a heck of a lot more power, for less money.
A C6 Zr1 is another $35,000 more than a C4 ZR1 however.

Do these Eaton blowers have teflon sealed rotors? There was a company that would "strip" the flon from the rotors so it didnt do so on its own. I would think the teflon bits would impede flow through the I/C in short order once it starts to flake off the blower rotors.

The copany was Stiegler or something like that, they woudl strip teh rotors and port the blower. Some though it was great, some thought it was snake oil.

peace
Hog

Hogg
04-01-09, 01:19 PM
I got a price and a part number since it is installed on the cars exported
to Europe. Ready..............................over $7,000 Cdn installed for
the Diff cooler!:eek:

That cooler is a nice piece. I dont think its $7000 nice though.

peace
hog

Luna.
04-01-09, 05:18 PM

I don't disagree at all that driving school would be a tremendous thing for most owners to do.

But don't tell me, for even one second, that I won't be able to handle another 100 rwhp/rwtq... :nono:

CadV
04-01-09, 05:45 PM
I like the quick in easy mods nowadays. Don't get me wrong when I was younger I tweaked every inch and it usually created a lot more problems. I just don't have the time to pull heads, cam, port stuff anymore but I wish I did. Be cool to have a shop and work on cars all day.

surgin
04-01-09, 05:45 PM
i'm with you luna. i could keep up with the turbo porsche lap after lap but that was by outbraking him and keeping up in the turns. unless i really hit the apex perfectly, he would gap me on the long straights. now if i had another 100hp that would have been different! then again he could have been an even worse driver than me.:D