: 2000 Seville with Bose System RDS ?

ThumperPup
03-30-09, 12:40 PM
I was wondering i have a 2000 Seville with the Bose System but i cant get the RDS to work or anyting like that
shouldnt the RDS give me names of the radio station or the song that is playing if they transmit using those options ?
i know in my dad 2007 chrysler the same channel i listen to do that becouse they show up in his van
but they wont show in my system
in the Seville also
isnt it suposed to show names of songs and the name of the CD that is playing ?

BestTimesNow
03-30-09, 02:11 PM
No, I have a '99 Seville with the same system. The headunit is a computer that talks to your car. The RDS suff and all that is essentially security and accessory stuff (I know, it's stupid...). It is not an HD or digital radio. That's what the newer models are doing. If you want this feature cheaply you can buy a Zune player, they will tell you the name of songs and stations over the radio like your father's car...

iowasevillests
03-30-09, 02:21 PM
About all the RDS on my 03 will do is allow you to sync time with a radiostation that is broadcasting it(handy a couple weeks ago) and sometimes it will show DJ info or station info if you press the button.

ThumperPup
03-30-09, 05:31 PM
im confused so even though the radio has the RDS button and option i do not get to see the radion info for if they are broadcasting that info
?

ryannel2003
03-30-09, 08:38 PM
To use the RDS, press the yellow button on the right hand lower side of the head unit, and the bottom row of preset buttons will light up. Then press preset number 1, and that will allow you to read RDS information from radio stations.

This system will not read information from CD's. It's too old to do this.

ThumperPup
03-30-09, 09:09 PM
To use the RDS, press the yellow button on the right hand lower side of the head unit, and the bottom row of preset buttons will light up. Then press preset number 1, and that will allow you to read RDS information from radio stations.

im confused bottom row of the preset buttons will light there is only one row of presets i think
and light up ?
i would think for it to light up i would have to be in the dark to see the light up on that im confused :(

ryannel2003
03-30-09, 09:24 PM
The preset buttons have letters written under them.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/ryannel2003/Cadillac%20Seville%20STS/IMG_0457.jpg

Press the yellow button (on the farthest right of the unit), and that will allow the preset buttons to be used differently. Press preset button 1, and that will allow the radio to enter RDS mode.

ThumperPup
03-30-09, 10:32 PM
ok cool thanks

BestTimesNow
03-31-09, 12:41 AM

I learn something new every day. Thanks.

ThumperPup
03-31-09, 10:39 AM
ok one other off topic ? here
not that i smoke becosue i dont but just wondering where the hell is the ashtray is there one and a light for this car i cant find it
the only thing i see is the power plug for the front on the pasnager side and the one in the back
but i dont see a lighter or a ahstray for this car anywhere is there one ?

derone
03-31-09, 04:45 PM
The ash tray and lighter were an option to replace the box behind the door under the radio. I have the part number somewhere.

ThumperPup
03-31-09, 06:21 PM
thanks for the help i got the RDS to work today and i like it ;)

thanks for the info ont he ashtray and light being an option
i dont smoke but i was curiouse about the lighter could always use an extra thing to plug somthing into

Does anyone know if the Navi units that came as an option in 2000 was any good
I was thinking about getting a unit from a junk yard to add into the Car
but not sure if they are any good or not and do i have to do any customizing to get it to foot or just work my ass of to wire it up and make sure i get all the parts i need from a bone yard ?

ryannel2003
03-31-09, 06:28 PM
The Nav units for the 2000 model year were tiny, CD-ROM based units. They weren't particularly good. The best thing to do would be to look for 2002+ unit as they are DVD based. CadillacSTS2003 sells the Nav's along with the necessary connectors to get it working. I would contact him to see what is necessary to get one.

ThumperPup
03-31-09, 07:00 PM
The Nav units for the 2000 model year were tiny, CD-ROM based units. They weren't particularly good. The best thing to do would be to look for 2002+ unit as they are DVD based. CadillacSTS2003 sells the Nav's along with the necessary connectors to get it working. I would contact him to see what is necessary to get one.

cool thanks will do that

iowasevillests
03-31-09, 08:15 PM
Just a heads up, you're going to drop about 800 to 1k to get a 02+ Nav unit into your car, and I believe Jason(cadillacSTS2003) has stopped selling the units, will only make the cables now.

ThumperPup
03-31-09, 08:34 PM
Just a heads up, you're going to drop about 800 to 1k to get a 02+ Nav unit into your car, and I believe Jason(cadillacSTS2003) has stopped selling the units, will only make the cables now.

i can pick up the unit from carparts.com or a junk yard for probably like 600 i was thinking maybe a little less then still have to get the wires and what ever els i cant get with the junk yard becouse who knows what all parts they have

but i would drop like 1500 for a nice in dash Pioneer unit anyways but would rather had the factory look than the flip out

iowasevillests
03-31-09, 10:39 PM
Make sure you've got a warranty against the unit be DOA before you shell out that much cash on it, not sure how complicated the install is, I know its been done quite a few times. You'll also need to go to a dealership to have it programmed with a Tech II due to it being in a vehicle other then its original one, not sure how much the programming generally runs or how long it takes, do a bit of searching around and you'll be able to get a better idea of what you'll need to tell the dealership and how much it normally runs.

ThumperPup
04-01-09, 08:30 AM
oh man hate dealerships they wanted 40 bucks jsut to hook up there tech 2 and give me a part number for the dash cluster