: Gas Tank Noise

houfek
03-30-09, 12:33 PM
2007 SRX 6 cylinder. I notice when I take the gas cap off to fill the tank, I can hear a "clicking" or "ticking" coming from the filler opening. Any ideas ??

c5 rv
03-30-09, 08:00 PM
I'll have to check this out in the driveway sometime because the gas stations use have too much traffic noise. I believe there is a return fuel line. That may have something to do with the noise.

On the lighter side of noises, tick - good; Boom - bad.

houfek
03-31-09, 02:50 PM
Be interested to know what you hear......I should add that the motor was running at the time.....probably obvious, but....

Don73
03-31-09, 09:00 PM
I've also heard it, and believe it's the fuel pump. I only hear it when the tank is on the empty side. After I fill up, I can no longer hear it.

houfek
04-01-09, 11:42 AM
Hmmmmm........I hear it when the tank is full also.......given the motor is running, I am thinking it is some part or the tank of filler neck vibrating......or maybe the fuel pump as you note....??

c5 rv
04-01-09, 01:32 PM
Be interested to know what you hear......I should add that the motor was running at the time.....probably obvious, but....

No, that wasn't obvious to me. I've never removed the gas cap when the engine was running. Do you get a check engine light like you do if the gas cap is left off when you start the car?

houfek
04-01-09, 02:16 PM
Hmmm....never looked at the check engine light when getting gas....will check that tonight.....I know the accepted principal is to shut down the engine when refueling.....probably not the smartest thing to do, but have been doing it this way for a lot of years as have many other people that I know.....knock on wood....

c5 rv
04-01-09, 08:40 PM
I grew up around boats. My dad stressed having everything off when fueling and then running the bilge blowers before starting.

If you leave your car running while getting gas around Detroit, you don't have a car when you're done.

houfek
04-02-09, 10:03 AM
Well, I didn't want this to turn into a forum on the relative wisdom of refueling with the motor running....and since I don't leave the SRX when doing so, I haven't worried too much about theft at the pump.

Anyway, getting back to the issue at hand, I removed the gas cap with the motor running and there was no 'check engine" light....I waited several minutes and saw no such indication on the instrument cluster. Also, I hear no sound when the motor is turned off.

GMJim
04-02-09, 08:40 PM
I would smoke a cig, and talk on your cell phone while your at it.

it's the fuel pump..........

Jza
04-03-09, 01:03 AM
Well, I didn't want this to turn into a forum on the relative wisdom of refueling with the motor running....and since I don't leave the SRX when doing so, I haven't worried too much about theft at the pump.

Anyway, getting back to the issue at hand, I removed the gas cap with the motor running and there was no 'check engine" light....I waited several minutes and saw no such indication on the instrument cluster. Also, I hear no sound when the motor is turned off.

There should be a CEL as the fuel system is depressurized when the gas cap is open.

houfek
04-03-09, 10:10 AM
Ok....so it would appear that I need them to check the CEL and replace the fuel pump....
Many thanks to all for the assistance....

Oh, and about the cig and the cell......I might be dumb, but I'm hopefully not stupid....

:-)