: 1970 Deville Convertible A/C

SilkyBrown
03-30-09, 11:22 AM
I recently bought a 1970 Deville Convertible last fall. Preparing for a long hot summer. When i picked the car up she didnt have any working a/c. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is.. i think the a/c has been completely removed because the previous owner didnt see the need in a VERT. If i wanted to check for sure if the a/c is still installed where would i find it? Is it hard to locate?

My question is: If i want to get the a/c up a running:

What parts will i need?
How easy is it to replace/rebuild?
What should i consider before the job?
Is it worth adding the a/c at all or is it a waste of money seeing as its a convertible?

Any help would be great thanks.

75sled
03-30-09, 02:30 PM
Well being from the south, I could never tell you an A/C was a waste. I just repaired the system on my 75 coupe, and it was a lot easier than i thought. I even went as far as becoming certified so that I could buy the R12 refrigerant (Freon). Mine was still sealed as if it were new, but my compressor had locked up, so i just replaced the compressor, bought some cleaner that I sorta flushed thru it with compressed air, replaced the desicant (SP) bag and pulled a vacuum on it (with the help of a freinds pump). Charged it with freon and off we go.

As far as the convertible goes, IMO, I think it can be TOO hot to ride with the top down, so I would definitely want my A/C fixed. Good luck.

SilkyBrown
03-30-09, 02:36 PM
Thanks for tha tip Sled. Assuming there is no A/C unit in my car? Would i have to purchase an a/c from the same model and year or could i essentially use another unit from another model or year? Where can i find a replacement a/c unit for a 1970 Deville? Thanks for the help

75sled
03-30-09, 02:43 PM
I will have to defer to someone with a little more experience here since mine was a complete system. However, it would be my guess that you could buy all the parts for your model car just the same. The place that I used was http://www.autoacforum.com/. They were very resonable and very helpful as well.

I think I paid like $130 for my compressor, which i thought was a steal. Do you know what all is missing from the A/C system?

jayoldschool
03-30-09, 03:39 PM
Open your hood and look for this:

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/images/products/medium/3a6compressor.jpg

That is your compressor. Let us know if that is still there, then we can tell you you the next step to get the AC working.

SilkyBrown
03-31-09, 08:41 AM
Ok will do, Assuming that is not there. I found several 1970 AC compressors online for around 130$ US. Along with the compressor what else will i need to buy. I saw somethin called an AC Clutch and a Fan Blower and AC Expansion valvue and Heater Control? Will i need all of these parts?

jayoldschool
03-31-09, 08:45 AM
Just check for the compressor and get back to us before you make the shopping list.

SilkyBrown
04-26-09, 10:50 AM
Hey Guys, I finally got my 70 out of storage and checked to see if my car had the compressor.. Sadly it does not. I'm assuming the original owner never asked for the feature considering its a convertible. At this point in time what do i need to get in order to get a running a/c. If i get the compressor what else will i need? where will the compressor bolt on to? I cant really see a slot for it on the block.

jayoldschool
04-26-09, 11:37 AM
It may have had AC, and someone took the compressor off. What are all the options on the heater control? Pretty sure AC was standard on Cadillacs even in 70...

Of course, if you can post a pic of your engine compartment and/or your heater control, we can tell you fast if that car has AC, and what you will need to get it going again.

PAULSTSMAN1
04-26-09, 01:52 PM
On 4/23 I just recharged an AC system on my 98. Before I attempted it I inquired about having it done professionally and after getting a $170 price quote from Pep Boys Service, I decided to investigate it further. First I found that my system uses R134 refrigerant, it's readily available and I got several canisters at a really good deal. Then I went to AUTO ZONE, and bought the connecting hoses and a really helpful DVD "Diagnosing and Repairing Air Conditioning Systems." The DVD told me a lot I didn't know about Auto AC and much more than I needed to know.

Enough about me here's what you need to know: First of all the Air Conditioning System that was installed with your 1970 Cadillac is obsolete! It uses R12 an enviromentally damaging and banned for non-technical use product in the USA! Any qualified technician will charge you a fortune to work on an R12 system!
I recommend that you evaluate the car for an R134 conversion/retrofit. That means all non-functioning parts must be replaced with new ones; also that would mean evacuation of the existing system (if the old system has any Freon R12) in it (this is required by law). Again this won't be cheap! You must evaluate if the Cadillac is of such a quality that you want to keep it as a collector car (similarly to Boss Hoggs 1970 Deville Convertible).

Because the work can be hazardous and technically involved you might wish consult a A/C Radiator Shop for an estimate/advise.

After I viewed the DVD it gave some inspection techniques that guided me to a successful recharge of my R134a system and the AC is running fine. Caution here is that each system requires different pressures and too much can result in system destruction and require replacement of really expensive parts.
If you have a friend that can guide you or give you retrofit parts information; you may save some major coin on the overall job. I would evaluate what parts are salvageable before I bought any equiptment or gauges.

Best Wishes, let us know what develops!

77CDV
04-26-09, 05:01 PM
Climate Control is optional in 1970. Standard is a heater with vent function.

SilkyBrown
04-28-09, 06:55 PM
Of course, if you can post a pic of your engine compartment and/or your heater control, we can tell you fast if that car has AC, and what you will need to get it going again.

Hey Jay, Snagged a few pics of my engine bay. Dont mind the rusty uglyness i plan on fixing up the engine, i just bought her last fall.

As i said before, i dont think there was a/c because i checked in the shop manual and i would have a climate control knob on my dash if ac was equipped. (Which i dont)

So at this point is it worth while trying to install an ac. How much would it cost and how hard of a job would it be. The previous member poste something about how no ac mechanic would try to install because of environmental issues, is this true?

I know that the compressor would be installed right overtop the rad. I've seen the diagram in my shop manual. U can even see where it would bolt in. Asside from the compressor what else will i need?

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2519/3061/31296530180_large.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2519/3061/31296530181_large.jpg

77CDV
04-28-09, 10:59 PM
Your car was not ordered with AC. It can be retrofitted, but it will cost $$$$$, whether you go with a modern R134 system or try to get a NOS R12 system, which can still be done. You would need a compressor, condensor, dryer, and I think a different pulley on the fan to accommodate the extra belt.

BTW, your air cleaner cover is on upside down.

Brother_B
04-28-09, 11:09 PM
BTW, your air cleaner cover is on upside down.

Heh hah! Isn't that an old trick to produce really cool sounds - WHOOMP - when the downshift kicks in? I used to put mine on upside down too.

jayoldschool
04-29-09, 09:26 AM
Like 77CDV has said, that is a non-air car. Your best bet is to contact Vintage Air and see what they have for you.