: Rustproofing ?

Hawkeye2
03-30-09, 05:55 AM
I know this probably just applies to us northern folk, but has anyone
had their V rustproofed or Oil sprayed? I am planning to use mine
most of the year, and always get my cars done by Oil Gaurd. The
manual suggests none is required, however the dealer tried to
sell me their own protection package. And, they had some electronic
device they tried to sell me that will not allow any part to rust.

Anyone go for rustproofing?

Vlakaz
03-30-09, 11:38 AM
I am picking my V up in 2 weeks, and plan to have the rust electronic module installed. We have it on our STSv and our other car as well and it seems to work.

vperl
03-30-09, 07:33 PM
Ok, I give, just what is the science on that device ?

Vlakaz
03-31-09, 02:15 PM
Ok, I give, just what is the science on that device ?

I'm no science guru but what I've been told is that rust molecules carry a charge, and by running a charge through some magnets placed on the frame of the car the rust will accumulate on the replaceable magnets vs on the frame. This is supposed to prevent the rust from eating away at the car, instead you simply replace the magnets every year.

I don't know if it works or not since both vehicles we have it on are less then 2yrs old, but I do know that the last time we replaced the magnets during the free service inspection, they did have a some rust on them, and the car still looks like new underneath. Again, the cars are really not old enough to know if it will work long term.

The one issue I have read about is that the constant electric current running through the module/magnets, sometimes causes the car electronic system some problems. We haven't noticed any such issues on the STSv yet though, which is why I am having the dealer install this rust module in my new V next week.

atdeneve
03-31-09, 02:28 PM
Galvanizing theory.

fast400@me.com
04-01-09, 02:28 PM
Electric Galvanizing doesn't work well out of water (ie great for boats...not for cars!). I bought a car a few years ago that had one installed with 4 electrodes attached to various body areas. The floor pans were rusted thru completely!
On the other hand a wax(parafin or snake oil) based undercoat will really prevent any rust from starting (no oxygen to the metal=no rust). I've seen quite a few 10+ year old VW's with no rust issues...they started using wax based stuff in mid 90's....I think.