: Filler Recomends?

kentuckygent
03-30-09, 12:37 AM
Well the 79 Coupe is gone to the body shop for paint. I have found several places online that sell the fillers for the rear of the car. Does anyone have any recomendations or bewares of some of these sellers? Thanks

jayoldschool
03-30-09, 09:13 AM
I haven't used them, but every report I have encountered about the aftermarket fillers hasn't been good. They need a lot of prep work to fit properly. Get a set of good originals.

cadillac_al
03-30-09, 01:15 PM
I have never seen any good originals for sale. I was planning to buy these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4578426119&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

but I would also like to know if there are any better deals.

bicentennialcadillac
03-30-09, 01:37 PM
Stay away from the fiberglass examples ... the ABS plastics are the best.

I have dealt with this company and have no complaints.

Musselman Distributing
Houston, Texas
713-974-9022

arnauts
03-30-09, 10:44 PM
I bought a set of ABS plastic fillers for my '79 from bumperfillers.com. Installation was an absolutley huge PITA. The metal retainer brackets did not fit into the filler, and had to be trimmed extensively.. It was just a huge headache.

drmenard
03-31-09, 05:44 PM
I guess its the luck of the draw... I bought some ABS pieces and they fit real bad and could not be made right.. And just got some fiberglass pieces for a eldo off the same guy a few posts up and they took a little work but were way better than the abs ones... It all boils down to not what they are made of.. rather who is making them....

kentuckygent
04-01-09, 01:03 AM
I was told that when using the aftermarket extensions that the mounting plate/bracket should be left out?

arnauts
04-01-09, 01:53 AM
I was told that when using the aftermarket extensions that the mounting plate/bracket should be left out?

Probably a good idea. If you just use fasteners instead of the bracket, you will not have allignment issues with the pre-drilled holes. I wish I had thought of this when I was installing mine.
Time to drop the tailights again..

Aron9000
04-02-09, 03:55 AM
Bumperfillers.com sucks ass in my book. I have the piece that fits under the rear plate on my car. The fit is horrible, and it isn't even made to the same dimensions the orginal piece was.

cadillac_al
04-02-09, 07:22 AM
Good info, thanks guys

rvan800
06-01-09, 10:18 AM
I just did a complete filler replacement and I too had trouble with the fillers that I bought from bumperfiller.com. All of the panels had to be worked to remove the mold dimples and body filler was needed to smooth out edge roughness. The worst was the plate that fits into the bumper under the gas filler. To fit my '92 Brougham, I had to cut notches in the leading edge, redrilled the mounting holes and shaved down the thickness of the plate. I put my overpriced Fien Multimaster to good use.