: 2009 cts-v

CADYSHAK
03-29-09, 07:18 PM
I have a 2009 CTS-V , I read that the break in process is 500 miles and not to exceed 70 mph . Why , I do not know given that the engine would have been dyno'd anyways . What our your thoughts ?

CADYSHAK

Razorecko
03-29-09, 07:32 PM
^ its for the break-in for the drivetrain. Also the best way to break in for those 500 miles is stop and go traffic as you shouldn't run the same speed the whole time/ highway miles.

CADYSHAK
03-29-09, 08:01 PM
Funny enough though , when the magazines test drive these types of cars , they beat the crap out of them right out of the box ! Also Gm recommends not to use the new brakes heavily but experts say to bed them properly get up to high speeds and almost stopping quickly several times is the best way to get longer life out of them .

CADTSHAK

Razorecko
03-29-09, 08:08 PM
well the brakes you can bed at any time. And more than one time. I go by these rules.

1. No wot from a stop
2. Max speed under 80mph
3. 2nd and higher gear wot's with sufficient cool off time after wards.
4. If stick no shifts over 4k to break-in clutch

Flush all fluids at between the first 700-1000 miles. Oil, trans, diff and replace with higher quality.

I give the +200 miles on top of the break-in period to let loose on the car.

62Jeff
03-29-09, 08:39 PM
Although the break-in is less significant for current engine designs - given roller valve trains, and different piston ring construction, the break-in is still important for the transmission and rear gears. The break-in period allows the gears to wear into each other.

When I bought my 07 vette, I went along on the Buyer's tour and rode in the car on the chassis "dyno" as the test engineer ran the car up to 80 MPH with 0 miles on the odometer, as he tested various components - and all of the gears.

OldDrummer55
03-29-09, 10:26 PM
Funny enough though , when the magazines test drive these types of cars , they beat the crap out of them right out of the box ! Also Gm recommends not to use the new brakes heavily but experts say to bed them properly get up to high speeds and almost stopping quickly several times is the best way to get longer life out of them .

CADTSHAK

The car rags don't have to worry about the warranty as they don't own the metal, so they can flog away!

vperl
03-30-09, 12:56 AM
The car rags don't have to worry about the warranty as they don't own the metal, so they can flog away!

go to a competitive auto manufacturer site and compare, many of the sites try to down play the fact the V is better in all areas, one site even said that there was no clock

ericpd
03-30-09, 02:39 AM
Although the break-in is less significant for current engine designs - given roller valve trains, and different piston ring construction, the break-in is still important for the transmission and rear gears. The break-in period allows the gears to wear into each other.

When I bought my 07 vette, I went along on the Buyer's tour and rode in the car on the chassis "dyno" as the test engineer ran the car up to 80 MPH with 0 miles on the odometer, as he tested various components - and all of the gears.

Yeah,... that's just about what I was told by my dealer. The transmission (manual 6 speed) and rear end where the components needing the break-in the most. They did say that I should bring it back at around 1k to get my front end aligned and some other stuff looked at,... at no cost to me. Right now, I'm experiencing some problems with my ultra view. It stops after about an inch or so of travel, sometimes forcing me to continuously pounding on the button to get it to completely close. Completely changing fluids is a good idea,... never thought about that one. I'm still on the oil and lubs that came along with the V, and I just shy of 800 miles. Better quality??? What are you guys using???