: Help! Dealer wants $$ for recall fuel rail!

ernie50
07-08-04, 01:12 PM
I dropped off my 97' SLS to Val Ward Caddy in Fort Myers. My fuel rail was broke and I read here that it's a recalled item. Dealership told me that since they haven't gotten in the new stainless fuel rails yet, I was going to have to pay for the old plastic one. His reasoning is that the recall is not official if the new parts aren't in yet.
Do I really have to pay $700 bucks for this defective part?

Thanks, Ernie

Sandy
07-08-04, 01:26 PM
Yes & no. Yes, if you want the ones he has, and No - if you are willing to wait for the warranteed replacement.

HOWEVER.....Call Cadillac's ZONE OFFICE in your area! Speak with someone of authority there, and EXPLAIN the situation. They have the authority to contact that dealer, and OKAY usage of the currently in stock replacement! If the dealer goes ahead, and puts in what he has (not the COPRRECT replacement part) THEN HE DOES NOT GET RE-IMBURSED, so somebodies gotta pay, in THAT case, you are the somebody. Zone Office has the authority to "Ok" that the dealer gets paid, under this situation.....

Ranger
07-08-04, 08:09 PM
If that fails, save your receipt. When the SS rails come in and you get the recall notice you can present the bill and get reembursed.

Logandiagnostic
07-13-04, 08:13 PM
The recall on the Cadillacs will start in July. Here is a link to the GM documents per the NHTSA website. They are PDF files so you will need Adobe reader to see the documents.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/RepositoryFiles.cfm?module=RECALLS&IfsDocId=04V110

Logan Diagnostic
www.airbagcrash.com
www.crashdatainfo.com
www.logandiagnostic.com