: Bought 06 V series and exhaust drones on highway

1999STSguy
03-28-09, 05:56 PM
I just bought an 06 V series XLR from an original owners wife (the owner is now deceased) but she remembers him doing something with the exhaust. (It drones at highway speeds). At idle it also has a very deep sound to the exhaust note. Its still original, but she thinks he altered it somewhere. Does the exhaust have and electronic bypass valve that opens under acceleration? I'm thinking if this is the case, the previous owner may have somehow programed it to always be open. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

vixapphire
03-29-09, 12:23 AM
from what i've read, the exhaust has some kind of bypass that opens on heavy pedal, providing the sound effects that people buy v8 cars to hear!

harrower
03-29-09, 10:53 AM
The V's have a controller in the drivers side rear trunk compartment. Make sure all of the wires are plugged in. You will get a terrible drone at highway speeds. You can look in the exhaust tips and see the flap open. If the white wire on the controller is unplugged, the flap stays open. You can get a Mid-to-Wild controller that allows you to open and close using your visor buttons. Do a search on this forum for more info.

rangerxlrv
03-30-09, 03:34 PM
Definitely sounds like the butterfly valves are open. The previous owner may have just cut the wire that controls the exhaust. If he added a mild2wild switch you can find it in the left rear hatch. Look inside the center seat console and see if you find a barrel switch mounted in there. Some V owners have spliced into the wire that controls the baffles and use a switch to turn them on and off.

I use the mild2wild wireless switch to control my baffles. I leave the baffles on my car open most of the time, but when on the interstate I usually turn them back on to stop the drone you talk about.