: 97 Northstar Oil leak

hendrob
03-28-09, 03:58 PM
Hi Guys, Just bought a 97 Deville 81,000 Miles . Today I see a puddle of oil on the ground. Here's where it appears to be coming from. Underneath where the exhaust pipe goes from the front 4 cylinders round to the back of the motor, there a black cover there to protect the exhaust pipe underneath, well oil is dripping off that black metal cover that cover the exhaust pipe. . Is this a main seal up above this ??? If so , how labor intensive it to fix ?? Thanks ! Bob

hendrob
03-28-09, 07:24 PM
Should have researched the forum 1st. Found LOTS of threads on this oil leak.
Hopefully it gets no worse, I'm just going to try to enjoy the car for a few years as it is.....

sbiehle
04-05-09, 04:55 PM
My 97 Deville has oil pan gasket leak, told by Cadillac dealer this is a $1500 repair job -OUCH. Good luck, you may need it.

99bluedville
06-04-09, 12:33 PM
I have also been living with a pretty good oil leak no longer use our drive or anyone else's. I believe that most of the leak is from the oil filter adapter.
What is the best way to remove the adapter? as space from below is very limited with engine mount right there, would it be best to remove the radiator and attempt this from above? 99 deville

Raze
06-04-09, 12:35 PM
also make sure one of the oil cooler lines over on the passenger side of the radiator side tank isn't loose and leaking, the lower hose has a 50 cent plastic retaining clip that likes to become brittle and loosen the connection leading to some interesting leaks, but yeah, where you described it sounds like the oil filter adapter leak...

tateos
06-04-09, 01:53 PM
Hi Guys, Just bought a 97 Deville 81,000 Miles . Today I see a puddle of oil on the ground. Here's where it appears to be coming from. Underneath where the exhaust pipe goes from the front 4 cylinders round to the back of the motor, there a black cover there to protect the exhaust pipe underneath, well oil is dripping off that black metal cover that cover the exhaust pipe. . Is this a main seal up above this ??? If so , how labor intensive it to fix ?? Thanks ! Bob

Rear main seal - common leak point - requires removal of the engine or trans or both to fix. I suggest you try to live with it until the head gasket(s) blow, and then fix it then, while you have the engine out. Suggest you take it to Jake - in the same province as you