: oil consumption

peeegeee1234
03-28-09, 12:13 PM
Recently purchased my first Cadillac (SRX...V6...AWD). With about 4500 miles since purchase, and at 74% of oil life remaining, the dipstick shows oil is down a little more than a quart (full at time of purchase). Is this "normal"?

c5 rv
03-28-09, 12:48 PM
On some units, yes, this is normal. You don't have to look too hard to find a number of threads on this. The next time I buy a Cadillac, I'm going to make sure I get the optional 4-cycle engine.

jpettit
03-28-09, 09:31 PM
1 quart in 4,500 miles is good for many cars. At that rate you will spend a whopping $100 for oil consumption over the life of the car.

On a serious note, keep track of the oil consumption, the oil change indicator and how full it really is for any possible warranty issue. Check it the same way each time--cold or warm and on level ground. Mine holds 6 1/2 quarts, except the sump probably reads full after 6. The AWD version may have a different sump, but the same dipstick. Many oil change centers only put in 5 quarts because the synthetic is relatively expensive, so you start low. There is also a check valve which keeps all the oil from draining back down to the sump, so sometimes more oil than you thought is caught up in the engine.

Good luck.

peeegeee1234
03-29-09, 11:42 AM
Thanks to all. I'll keep an eye on it.

Paulie Walnuts
04-03-09, 05:36 PM
The next time I buy a Cadillac, I'm going to make sure I get the optional 4-cycle engine.

OK - I don't care WHO you are............that's funny.

And BTW, next time, me too!

King3244
04-05-09, 03:00 AM
They have an optional 4 cycle engine??....wow....who knew.

peeegeee1234
04-07-09, 03:20 PM
Wrote a week or so ago about being down a quart of oil...I've been checking the dipstick every time I drive the car, and getting an accurate oil level has been very difficult. Today I looked, and the level on the stick was OVER by a lot! I took the car into my local cadillac dealer, where they determined that the car had too much oil, so they drained 4+ quarts. The dipstick now indicates the proper level, and I will continue to monitor the oil level. OH BOY, I OWN A CADILLAC!

peeegeee1234
04-10-09, 05:15 PM
Just got back from the dealer after an oil change. The tech drained 5 3/4 qts (after draining 4+ qts Tuesday). Can't wait to see what kind of problems this causes down the road.

c5 rv
04-10-09, 09:21 PM
I've noticed you DON'T want to check the oil when getting gas. Oil must be held up in the engine and the dipstick will read about a 1/2 quart low. I wait until I get home and the car sits for at least an hour before checking the oil.

peeegeee1234
04-13-09, 12:32 PM
I always check my oil cold and on a flat surface.