: oil consumption

03-28-09, 11:13 AM
Recently purchased my first Cadillac (SRX...V6...AWD). With about 4500 miles since purchase, and at 74% of oil life remaining, the dipstick shows oil is down a little more than a quart (full at time of purchase). Is this "normal"?

c5 rv
03-28-09, 11:48 AM
On some units, yes, this is normal. You don't have to look too hard to find a number of threads on this. The next time I buy a Cadillac, I'm going to make sure I get the optional 4-cycle engine.

03-28-09, 08:31 PM
1 quart in 4,500 miles is good for many cars. At that rate you will spend a whopping $100 for oil consumption over the life of the car.

On a serious note, keep track of the oil consumption, the oil change indicator and how full it really is for any possible warranty issue. Check it the same way each time--cold or warm and on level ground. Mine holds 6 1/2 quarts, except the sump probably reads full after 6. The AWD version may have a different sump, but the same dipstick. Many oil change centers only put in 5 quarts because the synthetic is relatively expensive, so you start low. There is also a check valve which keeps all the oil from draining back down to the sump, so sometimes more oil than you thought is caught up in the engine.

Good luck.

03-29-09, 10:42 AM
Thanks to all. I'll keep an eye on it.

Paulie Walnuts
04-03-09, 04:36 PM
The next time I buy a Cadillac, I'm going to make sure I get the optional 4-cycle engine.

OK - I don't care WHO you are............that's funny.

And BTW, next time, me too!

04-05-09, 02:00 AM
They have an optional 4 cycle engine??....wow....who knew.

04-07-09, 02:20 PM
Wrote a week or so ago about being down a quart of oil...I've been checking the dipstick every time I drive the car, and getting an accurate oil level has been very difficult. Today I looked, and the level on the stick was OVER by a lot! I took the car into my local cadillac dealer, where they determined that the car had too much oil, so they drained 4+ quarts. The dipstick now indicates the proper level, and I will continue to monitor the oil level. OH BOY, I OWN A CADILLAC!

04-10-09, 04:15 PM
Just got back from the dealer after an oil change. The tech drained 5 3/4 qts (after draining 4+ qts Tuesday). Can't wait to see what kind of problems this causes down the road.

c5 rv
04-10-09, 08:21 PM
I've noticed you DON'T want to check the oil when getting gas. Oil must be held up in the engine and the dipstick will read about a 1/2 quart low. I wait until I get home and the car sits for at least an hour before checking the oil.

04-13-09, 11:32 AM
I always check my oil cold and on a flat surface.