: K&N filters

Rafman60
07-08-04, 10:13 AM
In my efforts to inmprove gas mileage, I cant find a K&N air filter for my car. I dont think GM released the specs for My caddy to K&N. Would anyone know which universal filter I should get for the 4.6L Northstar (for a 97 Eldorado) or any other type of performance filter I should seek.

JohnnyO
07-08-04, 10:31 AM
:coolgleam I'd say just get out a tape measure, I'm sure K&N makes one that will fit. That said, I put one in my truck and it didn't make any difference.

Rafman60
07-08-04, 11:26 AM
So buying a K&N filter is a waste of my money and time?

JSMeloche
07-08-04, 11:41 AM
I doesnt make much difference but its a bit louder. Personnaly i love that. Check on CaddyInfo.com for the part number, thats where i found the part number for my 95 STS. On the K&N website it is NOT listed as a Seville filter but it will fit perfectly.

JSMeloche
07-08-04, 11:51 AM
100$ CAN K&N 33-2086 this is a direct fit for the STS even tough it is not listed on K&N site.

JohnnyO
07-08-04, 02:55 PM
So buying a K&N filter is a waste of my money and time?
:coolgleam Not totally, you can clean it and reuse it pretty much forever and never buy another one. I clean mine once a year. Also on some cars (I'm more familiar with Fords) too much oil on the filter can muck up the Mass Airflow Sensor. N* is a nice engine but remember it's still only 280 cu.in. or so, and doesn't need as much airflow as the 502 cube big-blocks in Hot Rod Magazine. The stock paper filter has a lot of square inches of filter area. AC and NAPA Gold are good stuff. All I'm saying is that I did not get any noticable improvement in performance or mpg in my 4.0 Ranger. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't bother.

Ranger
07-08-04, 09:24 PM
"So buying a K&N filter is a waste of my money and time?"
Yes. You can buy a lot of $3-$4 air filters for the price of a K & N.
http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchives/default.asp?id=caddymb-12158

Randy_W
07-09-04, 01:52 PM
"So buying a K&N filter is a waste of my money and time?"
Yes. You can buy a lot of $3-$4 air filters for the price of a K & N.
http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchives/default.asp?id=caddymb-12158
I haven't seen a quality air filter for $4 in a long time!

The K&N for a '90's Bonneville is a direct replacement for your's.