: 2001 Deville getting hot

JohnO2008
03-27-09, 08:42 AM
I have been reading a lot of threads on overheating, but I have not seen my problem.
I have a 2001 Deville base model with 93000 miles.
I have new coolant, oil and trans fluid.
The other day I was passing 2 cars, went from 50mph to 87mph and I think close to 6000 rpm's, during the slow down the car temp went 1 bar above normal and we could smell coolant.
It took about 2 miles for things to return to normal temp, I pulled over and checked under the hood and there was coolant coming out the overflow.
Thought maybe I overfilled so that would explain the overflow, but not the extended cool down time.
A couple of days later I went out to burn the carbon out, 2nd gear WOT up to 6000 rpm. I did this 2 times,slowing down the 2nd time the temp went up to 243 degrees (had a mastertech with). It took about 2 miles to cool down at 45 mph and 40 degree air temp.
I could smell coolant and found a leak coming from the drivers side below the water pump on the block, not 100% sure where yet.
No apparent bubbles or exhaust smell so I hope its not HG
I did pull the radiator out and flush with hot water.
It does not get hot with easy driving and the leak is not apparent, but the odor is there.

Is there any way the crossover or related parts will draw air into the system when slowing down?
Thanks for any input.

Ranger
03-27-09, 12:23 PM
No. Before you put anymore work or parts into it, test the coolant for the presence of exhaust gases. Then go from there.

32vmonte
03-27-09, 05:50 PM
How do you test the coolant for exhaust gases? just curious...

JohnO2008
03-27-09, 09:28 PM
Thanks Ranger, I will get it tested.

Ranger
03-27-09, 11:58 PM
How do you test the coolant for exhaust gases? just curious...

Either have it done at a radiator shop or any repair shop or get the test kit from Napa and follow the instructions. Not exactly sure how to do it as I've never had the need.

Submariner409
03-28-09, 10:10 AM
The exhaust gas test kit is around $50 at NAPA outlets. It functions by attaching a transparent liquid filled chamber to the top of the surge tank or radiator tank and pulling a vacuum on the liquid in the chamber. Chemicals dissolved in the test liquid will change color as bubbles pass through if the air/gas over the surge tank coolant has any exhaust byproduct in it. The test does not use the coolant itself, only the gas/air over the coolant, and will not work properly if fresh coolant has recently been added to the tank. The tank must be at the recommended halfway full level when cold.