: DIY - Seat Bottom/Seat Heater Replacement

Scott in Milwaukee
03-26-09, 10:34 PM
I replaced the passenger front bottom seat heater. Here is the procedure.

Wasn't that difficult. I did not have to unplug any of the wire connectors under the seat.

> Move the seat back and remove the two front bolts attaching the seat frame to the floor
> Move the seat forward and remove the rear frame bolts
> Remove the phillips screws that hold the power seat controls in place.
> Carefully pull the switch plate out and disconnect the wires
> Rock the whole seat back to expose the underside
> The leather seat bottom cover is retained by four long plastic clips and 4 smaller ones. Unhook the clips. If just replacing the heater, only unkook the front plus the two large side clips.
> Now the seat cover can be peeled back. It is retained by velcro so it sounds like you're ripping it.
> If replacing the heater, look for a black wire that starts at the rear corner of the heating pad. Follow that wire under the seat and unplug the green connector.
> Peel off the defective heater pad.
> Reverse the procedure to install.

Good luck guys. Feel free to PM me for assistanceh

trijeep
04-17-09, 01:00 PM
Hi,

I've got a couple questions for you about the seat heater replacement. How did you know your heater went bad? (Besides the fact that it wouldn't heat). Were there any blown fuses, blinking lights, noises? Also, where did you buy the new heating element?

Thanks!

Ghost Deany
04-17-09, 07:09 PM
theres no hog rings holding the bottom on? just velcro?

luxurylife33
11-13-09, 05:08 PM
I'm probably going to get a lot of gripe for this since i wrote the "freshen up your seat" thread, but I did state it wouldnt make the seat PERFECT. Although the seats looked better, I got sick of the creases. So I bought the driver side cover and installed it. Took some pictures of what it looks like underneath. The black strips are the velcro. To change the cover, I wasn't able to take the seat out since there was a special bolt there, sorta like a wheel lock. (I guess GM was smart enough to realize thieves would steal the seats). So I just unbolted the bottom part of the seat. Move the seat back and just remove the bolts holding the seat bottom on in the front. The rest of the bottom part of the seat will slide forward and lift out after unclipping a few wires. It was a pain in the ass to wrap the leather around the foam, but I eventually got it. I plan on doing the passenger side soon.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/luxurylife33/seat11.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/luxurylife33/seat10.jpg

The color looks a little off in the picture but in person the color is perfect.

$214.99 shipped per seat cover on eBay. Bit expensive but made the interior 10x nicer.

LAC_STS
11-13-09, 05:17 PM
It was $214 for just the bottom cover or the whole seat?

I have been looking for a couple seat covers for a while for my STS. Can you please provide a link to the item you bought or to the seller or the sellers name?

Thank You so much

luxurylife33
11-13-09, 05:36 PM
Item number: 110454935556 (copy/paste the item # into the search box)

$205 for the seat bottom ONLY + shipping (top section is also $205 but mine is OK)

He doesn't have STS covers on his website or eBay store :(

Ghost Deany
11-13-09, 07:35 PM
i wish they had the covers for the rear captains, my fronts are not bad, but the captains are getting kind of crappy

luxurylife33
11-13-09, 07:56 PM
They aren't the same as the fronts? (sorry I have an EXT, im clueless)

Ghost Deany
11-14-09, 05:47 PM
i think the captains seat bottoms are not the same as the front driver and passenger seats. does anyone know for sure?

luxurylife33
11-14-09, 07:36 PM
I checked pics on eBay... they dont really look the same. The seat belt area looks different. The place where the controls are on the front seat dont matter because the new cover does not have a hole already cut for them. So it looks like the only problem area would be the seat belt area. I would take some measurements and see if its do-able.

http://photos.mydealerbiz.com/kmtv0PW/70560/gyCDM_640480.jpg

luxurylife33
11-14-09, 07:53 PM
I did a little research and found out www.gmpartdirect.com has the right side seat bottom for $111.02 and left side covers for $185.20 + shipping. (weird)

I COULD OF GOT AN OEM COVER FOR CHEAPER.... IM MAD :( GUESS EVERYONE ELSE CAN GET A BETTER DEAL AT LEAST AND MY PASSENGER SIDE WILL COME FROM GM PARTS DIRECT.

nathanjax
11-15-09, 06:04 AM
I did a little research and found out www.gmpartdirect.com has the right side seat bottom for $111.02 and left side covers for $185.20 + shipping. (weird)

I COULD OF GOT AN OEM COVER FOR CHEAPER.... IM MAD :( GUESS EVERYONE ELSE CAN GET A BETTER DEAL AT LEAST AND MY PASSENGER SIDE WILL COME FROM GM PARTS DIRECT.

do you have part #'s for each (driver & Passenger) that you could share?

shore
11-15-09, 10:48 AM
The only difference bwteen the two are the seat belt sides.....BS they almost double it for demand.

luxurylife33
11-15-09, 02:28 PM
The only difference bwteen the two are the seat belt sides.....BS they almost double it for demand.

Yeah they DEF did it to make more $$$$ :annoyed:

luxurylife33
11-15-09, 02:32 PM
do you have part #'s for each (driver & Passenger) that you could share?

wow I just checked again and the prices are different today?!?!?! The driver side is $1 more and the passenger side is over $170 more than it was yesterday... WTF? BTW, the site doesn't list part numbers.

The site is www.gmpartsdirect.com I screwed it up in my last post^

EDIT: checked again and the prices are back to what it was yesterday... keep refreshing it i guess

sk7
11-15-09, 07:43 PM
Great info! Need to replace the passenger side front on my 02. Its got a huge hole in it... Unfortunately gmpartsdirect don't ship to Canada.

Ghost Deany
02-04-10, 04:05 PM
anyone know which covers they are on gmpartsdirect? http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/86c39fcad6.jpg

theres 2 COVER bucket seat driver sides? ones 150 and the other 250? then theres SHALE right SHALE left bucket seat passenger and driver that are 200 and 300?

tomikem
02-04-10, 05:58 PM
Were the lower portions of the Ebay seat cover vinyl or leather?

Ghost Deany
02-04-10, 06:13 PM
yea im curious of that too, how are the quality of the ebay cover compared to the oem?

luxurylife33
02-04-10, 06:51 PM
When I removed the OEM seat covers, they were the same exact material. I am convinced its a synthetic leather. The ebay seat covers are a little softer than the OEM ones so I think they would wear less easy. The OEM covers were very hard (dont know if that has to do with the age)

Ghost Deany
02-04-10, 07:45 PM
When I removed the OEM seat covers, they were the same exact material. I am convinced its a synthetic leather. The ebay seat covers are a little softer than the OEM ones so I think they would wear less easy. The OEM covers were very hard (dont know if that has to do with the age)

maybe ill just go with the ebay covers, are they exact in color match? and how are they holding up wear and tear wise so far?

luxurylife33
02-04-10, 08:47 PM
Excellent... I do however condition the leather every 2 weeks on the driver seat and once every 4-6 weeks on the passenger. Make sure you get a new foam piece too (I got it from GM parts direct). Color match is 100%.