: Check engine soon ! Why ?

Wicho
07-07-04, 10:19 PM
My 97 deville just told me today that I need to check engine soon. There is now reason why it should say this because it has new oil, air filter, gas filter, plugs, FPR and everything else that is involved in a tune up. It just hit 90***k miles and I was wonder what can it be ? Can it be electrical ? Reason is because the cd player in the car was installed "badly" and I think it might have to do with the warning poping up ?? Thanks for anyone who responds. Also, give me a run down on things I should check.

Ranger
07-07-04, 11:27 PM
If the check engine light is on, a DTC (Diagnostic trouble code) was set. Simultaneously press and hold the off & warmer buttons til the DIC (digital instrument cluster) lights up all segments as a segment check. Any trouble codes stored will be displayed at the bottom of the DIC. Write them down and post them. When it is finished displaying them it will say PMC? At that point you can turn the ignition off to exit the diagnostics.

BeelzeBob
07-08-04, 12:23 AM
Ranger is right. The onboard diagnostics system has detected some sort of fault in one of the operating systems of the car. Interagate the onboard diagnostic system or have a shop read out the codes for you with a Tech3 or other scan tool and find out what code(s) are set. Impossible to guess what is wrong causing the light to come on otherwise.

94CaddyConcours
07-08-04, 11:08 PM
Does that apply to my 94 caddy concours.

Why doesnt my Caddy have a RPM gauge? This might be a stupid question :D .

Ranger
07-08-04, 11:20 PM
Does that apply to my 94 caddy concours.

Why doesnt my Caddy have a RPM gauge? This might be a stupid question :D .
Yes, all Cadillacs have onboard diagnostics.
Why does it have a tachometer, just because.

JSMeloche
07-09-04, 12:39 AM
You dont have a tach because yours is not supposed to be fast :lildevil: Just kidding. I think GM has a weird idea of "when" they should put a tach. My old sunbird was standard WITHOUT a tach, but it had the shitty "upshift" flasher. lol any way Get used to it! or buy an aftermarket one. A big one mounted outside on the hood would be nice LOL

94CaddyConcours
07-10-04, 11:05 PM
Even if I get a aftermarket i wouldn't know where the red line is.:)

growe3
07-11-04, 06:17 PM
Even if I get a aftermarket i wouldn't know where the red line is.:)

But the PCM does know when to shift to avoid over reving. Even if you place it in 2nd and floor it when it reaches approximately 6500 RPM it will shift up to third to protect the engine.

Redline is 6500 Rpm.