: Northstar Engine Gets Gummy?

twarriner
03-24-09, 10:45 PM
I am thinking of buying a 1994 Cadillac Seville STS, but my mechanic says many of the northstar v8's in them are gummy, due to people not running them hard once in a while. Is this true?

delatorre1986
03-24-09, 10:49 PM
yep its true throttle plate get covered with oil and gunk if its a higher mileage northstar I would just clean it with throttle body spray and a tooth brush and avoid wotting it, it has been covered many times.

twarriner
03-24-09, 10:57 PM
It's not too expensive to remedy??

twarriner
03-24-09, 11:12 PM
and what does "wotting" mean?

codewize
03-24-09, 11:29 PM
They just get carboned up. I've never seen the term WOT'ing used before but I'm sure it refers to the N* treatment of WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

This is a documented procedure that should be followed. Yes GM tells you to go run the car to keep it in good health. BUT you can't just take it out and drive like hell. Well you can but that's not what this procedure is about.

Do some searching and learn the WOT procedure. also cleaning the throttle plate and TB area should clear up any so called gumming. It's the cost of a can or carb cleaner and 20 minutes of your time.

There are many other things to check out with a pre 2000 N*. A gummy throttle body is the least of potential issues.

Submariner409
03-25-09, 10:30 AM
Go to the top of the page, in the black bar, and read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive, including the article "Occasional wide open throttle is good for your engine" or close.......

IF you feel the need to clean the throttlebody, use only Throttlebody Cleaner: different solvent formula than choke cleaner. Read up on the procedure first - it's all in the search tab up in the blue bar.

Ranger
03-25-09, 11:26 AM
Not exactly sure what your mechanic means by "gummy". If he is talking about carbon in the cylinders, then some careful WOT will help as suggested. If he is talking about the TB getting carboned and "gummy", that will happen to any car.