: Waterpump reliability

TedElmer
07-07-04, 10:16 PM
I have a 96 Deville with 99,500 miles. I recently replaced the radiator, hoses, belts and fluids. The waterpump was leaking for a short duration. The leak stopped after I added the Cadillac coolant pellets from the dealer. My question is should I replace the waterpump as preventative maintenance? My engine temperature ranges from 195 to 232. The 232 degree temperature occurs only after driving up the steep hill in my neighborhood with a 95 degree outside temperature. The car usually operates around 205. Any advice is welcome.

Ranger
07-07-04, 11:20 PM
My understanding is that the only place a pump will leak from is the shaft seal and the sealant tabs won't help that. So your leak may have been from the cover gasket. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it starts leaking again, do it then. It will not be a catastrophic failure.

BeelzeBob
07-08-04, 12:16 AM
Drive it and forget about it. When the shaft seal starts leaking (if ever) then worry about it. The pumps are very robust and just do not catostrophically fail with no warning.

One nice thing about the 96 was the DexCool coolant which is free of silicates...which means that the water pump seals last much longer on average. The older, green conventional coolant had silicates for corrision protection and the silicates being very abrasive would shorten water pump seal life to some extent.

Possibly you had a pinhole leak from a porosity in a casting, the seals between the water crossover and the block/head, or the water pump cover seal. That is why the sealant pellets are desireable in the system. The engine had them originally from the factory and after 9 years and two coolant changes (you have changed the coolant , right) the sealant/supplement needs to be replaced. It should be added at each coolant service. Possibly the lead or seepage was there all along and the orginal dose of the supplement sealed it all these years and it just finally needed to be replenished. The sealant looses it effectiveness after many miles/years like a lot of things.

TedElmer
07-08-04, 09:01 PM
Replaced coolant with 50/50 distilled water and Dexcool as perscribed by this site. I am very thankful your the advice. I am very impressed with the 96 Deville. I hope to keep the girl running for awhile.

Pjs
07-09-04, 07:08 AM
That is why the sealant pellets are desireable in the system. The engine had them originally from the factory and after 9 years and two coolant changes (you have changed the coolant , right) the sealant/supplement needs to be replaced.

The parts stores in my area do not carry anything but the Bars Leak R-6 Sealer and conditioner (there is a ballon on the bottle that says "Factory Installed") ....when I did my last coolant changed I added that and am wondering if it's ok or should I go to the dealer for the tabs?

Patrick

JimD
07-09-04, 12:12 PM
The parts stores in my area do not carry anything but the Bars Leak R-6 Sealer and conditioner (there is a ballon on the bottle that says "Factory Installed") ....when I did my last coolant changed I added that and am wondering if it's ok or should I go to the dealer for the tabs?

Patrick

I find it at Wal-Mart. You are looking for G12BP or HDC.
http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html

Pjs
07-15-04, 07:03 AM
I find it at Wal-Mart. You are looking for G12BP or HDC.
http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html

I stopped @ my local walmart the other night and sure enough they had the G12BP....and it was only $1.47 a tube...prolly the cheapest thing to buy for the car yet :rolleyes:
Thanks Jim!

Patrick

Noodles
07-16-04, 08:42 AM
My water pump on my 94 Deville was leaking for a bit and I thought it might be a hose so I called the dealer and asked about it. They told me to bring it in and they would check it out. The pump broke as I was pulling into their driveway. When the pump went it caused the serpintine belt to come off and I lost power steering. The car drove like a truck and when I finally got to the service desk it had dumped all of the coolant onto the ground. You might want to think about being in the middle of no place at all and have that pump go South.

OlManRivah
07-16-04, 07:49 PM
I've run quite a few cars, well past 100K and IMHO water pumps are a weak link. If they don't fail, they leak. Quite a few of my cars have never had the valve covers off, but needed water pump repair. My 97 Eldo with 83K and has already gone through one because of leakage.

Just a water cooled thing..........

I really don't know of any preventative maintenance or additive that helps. When it's their time, it's their time.

I do have a Toyota 4x4 with 340K that's on the original water pump. I have no idea why it's OK. I treat it the same as I do engines that went only 65K and lost their water pump.

It's just a water cooled thing.......:drinker

growe3
07-17-04, 09:23 PM
My water pump on my 94 Deville was leaking for a bit and I thought it might be a hose so I called the dealer and asked about it. They told me to bring it in and they would check it out. The pump broke as I was pulling into their driveway. When the pump went it caused the serpintine belt to come off and I lost power steering. The car drove like a truck and when I finally got to the service desk it had dumped all of the coolant onto the ground. You might want to think about being in the middle of no place at all and have that pump go South.

The water pump broke and caused the serpentine belt to come off?

On a Northstar the water pump is on the opposite end of the engine as the serpentine belt. It is driven off of the end of the camshaft by a small ribbed belt. I do not see how it could possibly cause a serpentine belt problem. Even if the water pump locked up and ripped the water pump belt off it would have no effect on a pulley system on the other end of the engine.

It sounds more like a belt tensioner or idler pulley failed and then the serpentine belt could have been guided off the pulleys.

Are you describing a 4.9 engine by chance?

-George

Ranger
07-17-04, 11:17 PM
The water pump broke and caused the serpentine belt to come off?

On a Northstar the water pump is on the opposite end of the engine as the serpentine belt. It is driven off of the end of the camshaft by a small ribbed belt. I do not see how it could possibly cause a serpentine belt problem. Even if the water pump locked up and ripped the water pump belt off it would have no effect on a pulley system on the other end of the engine.

It sounds more like a belt tensioner or idler pulley failed and then the serpentine belt could have been guided off the pulleys.

Are you describing a 4.9 engine by chance?

-George
"Noodles" was talking about a '94. I believe they were 4.9's