: Headrest dvd system

oldworld
03-24-09, 09:54 PM
Question:
Is it a major pain to install headrest dvd's?
I found on the web recently an exact shale match with the cadillac crest headrsts with built in independent DVD's with remotes, headsets, and a way to wirelessly use the speakers in the bose to listen to them.

Are they a headache to install yourself?? Anyone ever tried this before?
BY the way, they are $750 for the pair...new

KrazyKeith
03-25-09, 10:31 AM
Can you post the link ?

I've got the same color and would love to do this !

oldworld
03-25-09, 10:46 AM
Now has them listed at $599.oo and I believe the shipping is free.
I saw it last night.
I will post the link sometimes today.

Does anyone know anything about the install on these? Is it a do it yourself project?

oldworld
03-25-09, 11:04 AM
It is listed on Ebay Keith.
SEARCH item number 150324647780
$599.00 shipped. Exact leather and headrest match for 03-06 with the caddy logo, which I have yet to see anywhere other than $1500 sets.
Guy has 100% feedback....
Let me know what you think...
Art

KrazyKeith
03-25-09, 12:28 PM
Seems like a nice set to me if your looking to keep that I'm stock look.

whosurpopi
03-25-09, 01:27 PM
I saw them too. I dont know if its the same guy, but a few months ago they were $499. I did some research on how to hook them up, but what I saw doesnt connect them to the sound system of the truck. The tvs have their own speakers and come with headphones. (why would you want them through the truck speakers, you cant watch while your driving).

oldworld
03-25-09, 03:11 PM
From what I can see by the description, you can indeed play the sound through the vehicles bose system using an IR signal.
While not being able to see the picture, sometimes hearing the soundtrack is pretty cool as well.
If you have a factory nav in your truck, you can run the signal from the headrest dvd's to your nav, and watch the dvd right on that same screen.
Thats what I am planning on doing anyway.
I would also think you would need to install an a/v box along with a 12 volt inverter somewhere under the seats so my kids can bring an xbox 360 and play in the vehicel as well.
Is that much of an issue? Anyone here install a 12 volt inverter? If so easy??
Location so its out of the way....cost? What to look for?
THANKS

oldworld
03-25-09, 03:12 PM
Maybe if we pool an order, we can get them for $500 each shipped????

ratbike1
03-25-09, 04:05 PM
Maybe if we pool an order, we can get them for $500 each shipped????

I'd be interested in a group buy, are you going to approach him?

oldworld
03-25-09, 09:03 PM
I will inquire. I will have to wait though until I see about how many people might be interested.

I want one for sure.

oldworld
03-27-09, 09:01 PM
Is nayone else interested in these? I am going to contact him late next week for a better price on a group order.
Please let me know if you have a SERIOUS interest.
THANKS

ESCALADOR
03-27-09, 09:27 PM
I'd be in

oldworld
03-27-09, 11:22 PM
Hey Keith................you in?
Listen, please..............only let me know guys if you are really interested, want it soon, and have the money.
The last thing I want to do is approach him with a multiple order, and no one but me comes across. on't want to look................or fell like an ass.

If you say yes................please mean yes.
THANKS

mbovinet
03-28-09, 01:35 AM
Would there be a way to have these screens play the same dvd that's in the factory dvd player? Also to have this play on the factory nav screen. Having a Platinum seriers and these 2 screens would make a nice 5 screen setup.

oldworld
03-28-09, 09:38 AM
:DI do beieve there are a/v output, so you can indeed play them on the factory DVD. There are also parts that would allow you to watch the dvd as well on the factory nav.
I have seen them on ebay...with hundreds of +++++++ ratings, I think that part was around $200 if my memory is working this morning.
So answer to your question is YES/YES

I have seen these exact pieces in my local audio shop, and with install, they wanted $1800.
I also plan on doing the same thing with playing through the factory NAV.
I emailed a few people who have purchased from the same guy on e-bay who sells the Nav module, all having escalades, and they ALL said they were very happy with it.
So I am going that route.
I believe you need to install a switch to turn off the nav and allow the signal from the dvd to enter the unit. Then shut it off when you want to use the nav.
On that setup I think the audio is hardwired with a harness that goes right int the bose system.
The headrest dvd set up uses a wirelss set up to use the factory bose.

Anyway, hope that helps.
MY TWO CENTS

KrazyKeith
03-28-09, 12:09 PM
I'm in.

I dont have a factory dvd player. Are these headrests each a dvd player? If so I'm 100% in !

Watching something on the navi would be nice !

:)

oldworld
03-28-09, 09:16 PM
Keith:
They are indeed two independent dvd's BUT they can also be hooked up so that both can watch the same thing at the same time.

If anyone else is interested, looks like maybe 4 so far....would like to approach with order for at least 5-10, that would almost mean a better price for sure.
Also, if anyone else is interested, I can also approach the gentleman with the interface to watch that dvd signal through the factory nav.
Please let me know ASAP. I will wait until April 5 to get responses and then I will confirm then to make certain BEFORE I contact them.

Thanks guys.

KrazyKeith
03-28-09, 10:01 PM
I would want the interface with my set for sure!

:)

ratbike1
03-30-09, 09:16 AM
I'm in

fierodough
03-30-09, 10:13 AM
From what I can see by the description, you can indeed play the sound through the vehicles bose system using an IR signal.
While not being able to see the picture, sometimes hearing the soundtrack is pretty cool as well.
If you have a factory nav in your truck, you can run the signal from the headrest dvd's to your nav, and watch the dvd right on that same screen.
Thats what I am planning on doing anyway.
I would also think you would need to install an a/v box along with a 12 volt inverter somewhere under the seats so my kids can bring an xbox 360 and play in the vehicle as well.
Is that much of an issue? Anyone here install a 12 volt inverter? If so easy??
Location so its out of the way....cost? What to look for?
THANKS

I don't recommend installing an Box 360 in your truck... They are pigs for power. (You need a very good power inverter wired to the battery and that would cost as much or more then the 360...) and the 360 is prone to scratching discs when moved or shaken. In the truck, this would mean you would be trashing your kids games..

use a PS2, WII, etc.. More then enough fun for kids on the move.

oldworld
03-30-09, 11:58 PM
Somewhere in my travels, I heard that about the XBOX 360. What about a regular xbox?? ANY suggestion on inverter size???

fierodough
03-31-09, 12:07 PM
Somewhere in my travels, I heard that about the XBOX 360. What about a regular xbox?? ANY suggestion on inverter size???

A regular Xbox should be able to work fine on a 400-450W inverter. To be safe, I would bump that to 700W for any spikes. But the 450W should not have any troubles..

oldworld
03-31-09, 09:19 PM
can you buy at radio shack?? Any idea on price?? for the inverter//

jordan00escalade
03-31-09, 09:54 PM
You can get an inverter at radio shack, another store is pep boys or auto zone. I bought a 800 watt inverter at auto zone for like 50 bucks.

XBOX 360.. I tried mine a while back and spikes would give me the 2 red rings of death, after I realized it wasn't the Red Ring of death I haven't hooked it back up in the car since.

PS3.. I tried this with my 800 watt inverter, and I recieved a yellow light.. Didn't want it ruined or anything so I haven't hooked that one back up in the car either. PS2 or XBOX being enough is good advice if you ask me. Probably need more rms watts, I plan on getting a inverter with more watts before our vacation on the 10th.. When I find something I'll give some better info. on the subject

oldworld
04-01-09, 08:07 PM
Thats cheaper than I thought. Did you mount it under the seat. A while back, I saw an escalade that had an ac outlet built into the left passenger side lower pillar, and at the same area were inputs for AV jacks. Pretty nice looking actually.
BTW, does the inverter fan make any noise??? Was wondering if buying any particular brand over another, OR buying a higher end unit, has anything to do with noise quality??

THANKS

jordan00escalade
04-01-09, 10:06 PM
I don't really hear mine at all, unless I turn the truck off and I'm just sitting there with no electronics on. They don't really make that much noise.

I haven't mounted my inverter, it plugs into the cigarette lighter and could sit anywhere.

oldworld
04-03-09, 10:29 AM
Is there any advantage to getting one that gets mounted and hardwired or is the cig plug in type just the same................but convenient???

jordan00escalade
04-03-09, 09:37 PM
I don't know.. cig plug is easier, plug and play. If I purchased a mounted one, I'd have to find someone who could do a clean install.