: To sunroof, or not to sunroof. That is the ?

Razorecko
03-24-09, 07:26 PM
I'm curious if any of you V owners regret getting a sunroof or are completely satisfied with it. Do you use it often ? Does it make any noise ? How is the wind noise on the highway at 80mph ?

Dick's06Vee
03-24-09, 07:48 PM
Razor....If I had ordered my car, I would have not done the sunroof. Having said that, I bought mine with a dealer trade. The only option the car had was the roof. I really like it actually. I love the double panel and the electric screen is very nice. Plenty of light allowed in the interior and overall, barely noticeable with my black raven. I can't speak to the wind noise as I've only had it cracked around town. Dick

TaVern
03-24-09, 08:04 PM
Guys!!! Please search for these topics before creating new threads!

I think I've exceeded my bandwidth for the day reading multiple threads on the same subject...

tedcmiller
03-24-09, 08:08 PM
I ordered and received a 2009 CTS-V with no sun roof. I happily did not have one on my 2004 CTS-V and I did have one on my 2005 CTS-V. The 2005 had it because it was on the car on the lot. I opened it once to see if it worked. The sun roof on the 2009 CTS-V is about twice as large as on the V1 and the screen is not totally opaque like the V1. As far as I am concerned it is another useless option that might rattle and/or leak. I will never have one again on any air conditioned car that I own.

CVP33
03-24-09, 08:15 PM
Sunroofs are a complete waste in a car like this. Why sacrifice the head room, add weight and reduce torsional rigidity? It ruins a great car!!!

And then you open it on the first sunny day cruising down the blueridge parkway with the dogwoods blooming and wonder how you ever lived without one. :histeric:Damnit, I am a girl! :nono:

Razorecko
03-24-09, 08:37 PM
Guys!!! Please search for these topics before creating new threads!

I think I've exceeded my bandwidth for the day reading multiple threads on the same subject...

I didnt see any threads for the v2 sunroof minus the one about heat generation. The reason i'm asking is because on my jeep I literally used the thing like 3 times in 2 years. It probally has to do with the fact that i live in the chicago area and its either too darn cold or too darn hot/humid to use it.

OldRoadDawg
03-24-09, 09:25 PM
I like a sunroof. My '04 V has one.
BUT... if I get a V2 it will not have one. I hate the loss of headroom.

I'm kind of long through the upper torso, so my head has about a 1/2" clearance, even with the seat all the way down and tilted backwards to the point where my arms are almost straight (I wish the V1 had a telescoping column).
On a track day, with helmet, I have to tilt my head sideways, which really sucks.

When I drove the V2 at Monticello I had the same problem and the steering wheel has a lot more adjustment vs my V1.
No more roofs for me.

TaVern
03-24-09, 09:31 PM
I didnt see any threads for the v2 sunroof minus the one about heat generation. The reason i'm asking is because on my jeep I literally used the thing like 3 times in 2 years. It probally has to do with the fact that i live in the chicago area and its either too darn cold or too darn hot/humid to use it.

I can understand that. I just think you would get more answers to your sunroof question in a thread with several people already discussing sunroofs. Just a suggestion.

BTW I love my sunroof in my '06 V :D

musclesbmf
03-24-09, 09:35 PM
sunroof in my V2 was a must. I love it.
i think it depends on where you live and if you'll get use out of it.
BTW, no noise issues or sealing issues.

Mark

neuronbob
03-24-09, 10:17 PM
I love sunroofs, worth the extra weight to me. My two-year-old LOVES the Ultraview as he can now look out of the ceiling.

I'm even willing to risk taking it to a car wash just to make the kid happy. He LOVES car washes.

proexpert
03-24-09, 10:30 PM
Smokers like the sunroof too.

edsuski
03-25-09, 12:26 AM
Imagine how much it would cost you to remove 100 Lbs from the V.

What would you do? Light weight wheels "might" remove about 30 Lbs total (albeit rotational) and might cost as much as $15K. You could opt for a titanium exhaust system saving, lets say 40 Lbs and costing, letís say $1,800. Then you could opt for a carbon fiber drive shaft and save about 22 Lbs and costing $1,100.

Or you could simply check a box and remove nearly 100 Lbs from the very top of the car and let GM save you $800.00. Was there really a question here? :)

Razorecko
03-25-09, 01:35 AM
Imagine how much it would cost you to remove 100 Lbs from the V.

What would you do? Light weight wheels "might" remove about 30 Lbs total (albeit rotational) and might cost as much as $15K. You could opt for a titanium exhaust system saving, lets say 40 Lbs and costing, letís say $1,800. Then you could opt for a carbon fiber drive shaft and save about 22 Lbs and costing $1,100.

Or you could simply check a box and remove nearly 100 Lbs from the very top of the car and let GM save you $800.00. Was there really a question here? :)

Actually the sunroof only takes up around 37lbs. I asked Scott from superior about that. NOW if you really want to make a weight difference than you'll get a manual instead of an auto and save a 100lbs. Than you could get a braille lightweight car battery and save another 15-20lbs

mr.algaz
03-25-09, 02:05 AM
If you ask me, i would definitely get it. I got it on mine and i am so happy with it. It adds the luxury factor. You got nice sunlight coming in from it. It is very well done. My friend has a Mercedes C63 AMG and he said i wish if it came with the same sunroof on my car.

I have used the sunroof a lot of times like almost everyday. And i only had it for 3 weeks till now.

Well it is a matter of choice and people wouldn't get because they might not want to pay more but on a 68K+ another luxury factor like that shouldn't be a choice. It changes the whole look inside the car and outside and you will benefit from it.

Just my .02 :thumbsup:

Wish you luck with your purchase

Jon
03-25-09, 08:43 AM
I never bought into the whole sunroof thing. Always thought "why would I pay someone to put a hole in my roof?"

Then I got my '04 V which came with the sunroof. I love it. My car never sees rain so everytime I drive it I have it popped. I do a lot of weekly cruises with the Vette guys in the summer. Nothing like having the sunroof open and windows down in a convoy of really loud cars. :D

trukk
03-25-09, 04:58 PM
Actually the sunroof only takes up around 37lbs. I asked Scott from superior about that. NOW if you really want to make a weight difference than you'll get a manual instead of an auto and save a 100lbs. Than you could get a braille lightweight car battery and save another 15-20lbs

How would Scott know what the sunroof weighs? I would be very hesitent to take what he has to say without a very big grain of salt when it comes to tech specs like this.

The roof in the V1 weighs about 50 lbs. I can't see those HUGE pieces of glass weighing less.

I'd be way more inclined to beileve 100 lbs instead of 37.

My $0.02,

Chris

Vlakaz
03-25-09, 10:44 PM
Maybe he means it weighs 37lbs more with the sunroof in vs with the roof all metal/intact.

I need to go on a diet and lose a few lbs. I'm 170lbs now, If I lose 10lbs thats like freeing up horsepower ;)

Sunroof weight is insignificant in this car...

my 2 Canadian cents (which is about 1.6 cents USD) ;)

Jon
03-25-09, 10:46 PM
Maybe he means it weighs 37lbs more with the sunroof in vs with the roof all metal/intact.

I need to go on a diet and lose a few lbs. I'm 170lbs now, If I lose 10lbs thats like freeing up horsepower ;)

Sunroof weight is insignificant in this car...

my 2 Canadian cents (which is about 1.6 cents USD) ;)
lol, our dollar blows again.

tedcmiller
03-25-09, 11:25 PM
OK. Some people like a sun roof and some don't. If you never open it and never have any noise or leaks (that would be me in my 2005 CTS-V), why have it at all?

edsuski
03-26-09, 01:00 AM

Everything I have read (save what "Scott" is reported to have said) claims the sunroof adds 100 Lbs. The extra weight at the very top of the car simply can not help handling....

nc09v2
03-26-09, 09:56 AM
I've had no sunroof problems at all, and find that having the open view top really lightens up the interior; my kids love riding in the Caddy because of it. The shade is also pretty neat, and heat has not been a concern at all. Opening the roof is nice too, but mostly optional, for me anyway. Adding 37 or 50 lbs to a 4200 lbs car is pretty negligable too.

Everyone should get their car their way, but IMHO the small added cost of the Ultraview Roof now will likely pay dividends in desirability and resale value down the road, especially in warmer climates.

Razorecko
03-26-09, 10:35 AM
there is no way that sunroof adds more than 50lbs.

chris1268
03-26-09, 10:45 AM
I'm curious if any of you V owners regret getting a sunroof or are completely satisfied with it. Do you use it often ? Does it make any noise ? How is the wind noise on the highway at 80mph ?

I have had no issues to speak of, but have only had it open 3 times so far. At 100mph it is rather loud inside the car with it open. The wind guard on it produces quite a loud noise at high speeds and I can only imagine the drag it produces on the car itself.

Razorecko
03-26-09, 10:52 AM
seems like the thing to do would be to throw down a 20% tint on it and just pull back the "linen" and use it as a showpiece mainly.

trukk
03-26-09, 11:36 AM
there is no way that sunroof adds more than 50lbs.

How do you know this? Did you weigh it?

If not, then state your credible source for this info. If you can;t then your's is a guess just like mine. I'll stand by my guess that it is closer to 100 lbs than 37.

Can any GM folks, or those in the know weigh in on this. Scott can you provide info on where you got that 37lb number from?

-Chris

Vrocks
03-26-09, 09:30 PM
I'm not getting a sunroof or the Recaros. I want everything else (minus the engine block heater) + the track brakes, and I'll order the Micro fiber steering wheel through GM parts.

V-Love
03-27-09, 08:25 PM
Unless you plan on rolling it, get it. Cadillac......luxurious. Options good. The car is still a rocket. The weight won't hold you back.
Nothing like having a DVD playing with the sunroof open while flying around the track. Its almost disgusting.

clubho
07-10-09, 03:33 PM
my sun roof is quirky. If i hit the button to open it and don't touch anything else no problem. But if i hit the button to open it then roll down any window it stops opening. Then when closing sometimes it will close and sometimes it will alomst close then just reopen all the way before it closes. Also if while closing it, again if i roll up or down a window it will stop closing. How's that for lame? Anyone else?

eyeballs19
07-10-09, 04:56 PM
Electrics have been flawless. My sunroof has a very minor rubber-sounding creak every once in a while, but it is rare (2K miles). Just ordered some Krytox lube, which supposedly works really well and will give it a shot.

FWIW, I found the sunroof let it too much light for me, after getting used to cars with black headliners and solid sunroof shades. So I had the roof tinted to 15% with Formula One Pinnacle (the windows to 50%). With the shade closed the roof looks almost solid inside and there is zero heat coming through (and I'm in the South, so the sun can be strong). Before, it was too bright for the kids with the shade open. Now they just love it.

Also, the tinting made a noticeable difference in the heat inside. The factory glass seemed to do pretty well, but the Pinnacle stuff makes it perfect for me. Highly recommended.

clubho
07-31-09, 03:13 PM
my sun roof is quirky. If i hit the button to open it and don't touch anything else no problem. But if i hit the button to open it then roll down any window it stops opening. Then when closing sometimes it will close and sometimes it will alomst close then just reopen all the way before it closes. Also if while closing it, again if i roll up or down a window it will stop closing. How's that for lame? Anyone else?

just got it back from the dealer. they had to replace the electronics and the motor for the sunroof and the sun shade. all good now.