Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Question about an exhaust mod on a '93.

806 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  4cammer 
#1 ·
I'm new to these cars. Just got it last night. Needs a muffler and wondered about the practicality of substituting pipe instead of replacing the muffler. My thought is the cat con and rear resonator would muffle things enough. Might help efficiency and less expensive of course.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Skip

#2 ·
It will work, and it will be LOUD. I did the muffler delete on one of my earlier cars (94 Caprice with an LT1), and it was reasonable at start up, and driving around. Full throttle was ridiculous. A single exhaust will be a little quieter, of course, but still not very "Cadillac"...

#4 ·
Just slap in a Flowmaster 80 series or one of the mufflers made for large displacement pickup trucks and it will greatly reduce the resistance in the exhaust system. It will keep it quiet but add a little bit of grumble to it.

#11 ·
It will be loud with just a cat. When the exhaust rusted away on my Fleetwood I had nothing but a cat on there for a few days and I could barely stand to drive the car. Even with the relatively small 4.5 I have it was almost unbearable to anyone inside the car.

#12 ·
As much as I'm tempted to try this cheap experiment (the shop said $40-$50 to put the pipe in) I'm not sure I want to risk a noisy situation. I thought someone might post who had done it on a '93 FW or a similar year car with single exhaust, cat and resonator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.