: Front License Plate

Hawkeye2
03-24-09, 07:25 AM
I live in Ontario where front plates are mandatory. Has anyone seen an
alternate method of mounting the front plate?

aburd
03-24-09, 11:51 AM
I know t doesn't help but I just won't put one on the front. Just deal with ticket I guess.

neuronbob
03-24-09, 12:07 PM
In Ohio, the front plate is also mandatory. However, on this car, I am choosing to go plateless and I'll deal with the ticket if it comes. No one I know in this area has been ticketed for going front plate-less.

Even so, I am likely to ask one of my local dealers about the front plate mounting hardware....just in case....

jwa999
03-24-09, 12:23 PM
Temporarily jerry-rig the front license plate and take a picture of it.
Here in Texas, you can get the ticket undone by showing them the picture and only pay a $10 fee.

TaVern
03-24-09, 12:24 PM
Here's some ideas the V1 guys came up with, but I'm not sure how well they would work on the '09 front end.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/147936-front-license-plate-options.html

I just bit the bullet and had the front plate bracket installed anyway.

Hawkeye2
03-24-09, 12:42 PM
It is a very popular ticket here. Ever since the funds from traffic tickets go into the local coffers,
more and more of us, with "specialty" cars are getting tickets.

TaVern
03-24-09, 12:50 PM
It is a very popular ticket here.

Same here in Virginia. At first I went no plate for the same reasons... I didn't want holes in my precious new bumper. I got stopped twice in 3 months for no front plate. So I just went with the bracket and have been fine since.

aco
03-24-09, 01:01 PM
Been lurking for a while and thought I'd jump in here. Swift Motorsports sells a hideaway front plate that mounts under the front bumper. Since this is my first post I cannot post a link. Just Google the name above. I have no affiliation, I just think it's a cool product.

readyact
03-24-09, 01:33 PM
Been lurking for a while and thought I'd jump in here. Swift Motorsports sells a hideaway front plate that mounts under the front bumper. Since this is my first post I cannot post a link. Just Google the name above. I have no affiliation, I just think it's a cool product.

Here's the link:

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=3144&osCsid=4b14b7f526830c1d6ebae86be54abc93

Cub Cadet
03-24-09, 02:01 PM
That looks awesome!! I like the motorized one since you could do it after you were pulled over... make the cop think they were crazy. I have wanted something like this for a long time, but just never tried to build one. Here in OH, the front plate law is a problem. I have never run one, and never been bothered until the last three years. I managed to get 2 front plate tickets exactly a year apart in the same spot at Christmas time. Luckily, it wasn't the same cop, however they had me in the system as a repeat offender for that. I didn't know they could flag people that way. Sorry - I got off subject a bit.

Hawkeye2
03-24-09, 04:40 PM
Hey that's cool.

1fstkde
03-24-09, 09:24 PM
its horrible now in California!! with a state that needs money you cant drive two city blocks for them pulling you over for no front plate, or tinted windows! in Redondo beach they are even waiting for you to leave a bar and pulling you over on your BICYCLE, and giving breathalyzer to take you in..

Jon
03-25-09, 09:49 AM
I just leave mine on the dash. Never been bothered. The people that usually get ticketed are ones who don't show a plate at all. At least mine's displayed.

http://www.jon04ctsv.com/ctsv_album30/img_2190_std.jpg

Hawkeye2
03-25-09, 10:28 AM
You're lucky. Locally that won't do. It's still a violation of the law. I had a Jeep CJ like that, and got stopped on 401. The OPP
was lenient and made me wire the plate to the front bumper instead of writing me a ticket.

Jon
03-25-09, 10:45 AM
You're lucky. Locally that won't do. It's still a violation of the law. I had a Jeep CJ like that, and got stopped on 401. The OPP
was lenient and made me wire the plate to the front bumper instead of writing me a ticket.
Maybe it depends on the area. I've seen a lot of police check out my car while in traffic. It's loud, really loud, so I'm sure they notice it.

My car came with the bracket on the bumper. I couldn't live with it and had a bodyshop fill and repaint the bumper. The ticket is $110... Seriously, how many times can they ticket me in a year?

If you're going to put the plate on the bumper you might as well just drill the holes into the bumper and use the factory bracket. Because honestly, when are you ever going to take it off? It's not like you'll ever see the holes/rivets if you've decided to put the plate on.

Hawkeye2
03-25-09, 11:50 AM
Wow, Is it drilled into the bumper? I thought it would be like my Z06 and just be a stick on. I bought an
aftermarket one for the Vette and I don't mind it that much.

Jon
03-25-09, 11:53 AM
Wow, Is it drilled into the bumper? I thought it would be like my Z06 and just be a stick on. I bought an
aftermarket one for the Vette and I don't mind it that much.
The factory bracket is riveted into the bumper, unlike the Vettes :(

TaVern
03-25-09, 04:51 PM
Good God, Jon... Has your V ever been dirty?!

Jon
03-25-09, 06:35 PM
Good God, Jon... Has your V ever been dirty?!
How could you even think such a thing????? LOL

2007cts-v
06-09-09, 09:23 PM
Yeah, the license plate problem is very real here in the NY too. I've gotten a few of them now....when they used to be only 50 with a 25 surcharge.....now, they're 90 plus surcharge. I've passed several officers today with no problem, and got eyed-up by one of them, but didn't come out after me. The holes in the bumper are no big deal to me, but I am definitely thinking of the flip-up one mentioned on here, as well as the motorized one. 2 tickets would make it worth purchasing the motorized one.

allklr
06-09-09, 10:56 PM
I live in Chicago, I never put front plates on, I even have special plates for legalized tints. Crazy thing is I still get pulled over since most of these police dont know what my plate means, Than the hassle me for no front plate. So I finally broke down and put it on, Looks terrible with it on and I try not to think about it.

cts-me
06-10-09, 03:00 AM
Yeah, the license plate problem is very real here in the NY too. I've gotten a few of them now....when they used to be only 50 with a 25 surcharge.....now, they're 90 plus surcharge. I've passed several officers today with no problem, and got eyed-up by one of them, but didn't come out after me. The holes in the bumper are no big deal to me, but I am definitely thinking of the flip-up one mentioned on here, as well as the motorized one. 2 tickets would make it worth purchasing the motorized one.

Im in NY and i just got my plates, but i have ohio plates so im hoping the outa state plates will throw the cops off enough that they wont ticket me. And if i do get pulled over, ill say its legal in ohio, and im just a innocent ohioian visiting my brother.

vperl
06-10-09, 04:47 AM
Has anyone ever put a hideaway plate system on the V2 ?
Motorsports has one and some of them are motorized.... BUT has anyone actually put a hideaway device for the front plate on a V2 ?

This is good time for me to find out..... dumb bunny I am

Hawkeye2
06-10-09, 07:29 AM
That's my plan once my V arrives. I bought the hideaway one, just waiting and waiting and waiting.............

Luna.
06-10-09, 04:57 PM
Here's the link:

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=3144&osCsid=4b14b7f526830c1d6ebae86be54abc93

I just called and spoke to them live. Apparently, this was initially designed with the Vette and CTS-V in mind, as no "good" solution existed. I'm ordering it now & we'll see how it goes

vperl
06-10-09, 05:17 PM
I just called and spoke to them live. Apparently, this was initially designed with the Vette and CTS-V in mind, as no "good" solution existed. I'm ordering it now & we'll see how it goes

88******************

please let us know the results.
That is the 60 buck manual pull out one right?
I will do the deed if you can post a picture or two..... thanks

This model fits on the V2 ?

Vlakaz
06-10-09, 05:39 PM
It would be interesting to see one on the V2... I am also in Ontario and I gave in and had the front plate put on. So even if I remove it now I'll have to plug the holes with something... hmm maybe front parking sensors in the holes that would already be there.

Seriously though, whats the point of the front plate... its not like the cops will actually be able to get ahead of you ;)

vperl
06-11-09, 02:47 PM
Called SwiftMotor Sports they have sold several to V2 owners they claim with no returns.

If so, is there a FORUM member that has this from SwiftMotor Sports

Tell us your experience

McRat
06-11-09, 02:59 PM
Front plates useful for photo-radar, speed traps, toll roads, and if you hit a pedestrian so hard that it leaves an imprint. J/K on #4 of course.

I would be very surprised if you took a vote, that the general population agrees with paying more money for these "benefits". Just more proof our elected officials seldom care about the average Joe.

Although it does make me wonder how many gallons of fuel are wasted every year by putting a flat board on the front of cars that spent hundreds of hours in wind-tunnels to avoid wasting fuel in that manner.

Hawkeye2
06-11-09, 04:55 PM
Called SwiftMotor Sports they have sold several to V2 owners they claim with no returns.

Tell us your experience

I bought one, but still don't have the car to put it on. I shall post when
I can!

Luna.
06-11-09, 05:07 PM
88******************

please let us know the results.
That is the 60 buck manual pull out one right?
I will do the deed if you can post a picture or two..... thanks

This model fits on the V2 ?

Correct. I didn't see the need for the $150 mechanical one.

Tell us your experience

Mid-next week I'll post about the install. I believe it ships tomorrow

KatMcRat
06-11-09, 08:23 PM
In Ohio, the front plate is also mandatory. However, on this car, I am choosing to go plateless and I'll deal with the ticket if it comes. No one I know in this area has been ticketed for going front plate-less.

Even so, I am likely to ask one of my local dealers about the front plate mounting hardware....just in case....

I'm going plateless also.... If I get stopped I'm going to try the dumb blonde thing:bouncy: I will put the plate and bracket in my trunk and tell the nice officer I have it in there and was going to see if the dealer could install it for me when I brought it for an oil change next week.

Then if I still get a fix it ticket. I will figure out a way to install it even if it's with zip-ties to get the ticket signed off. Then drive back home and cut it off ;)

aco
06-11-09, 11:12 PM
Correct. I didn't see the need for the $150 mechanical one.

This is if you get pulled over and your state requires a front plate. You flip the switch and your plate appears. Otherwise, all the reasons stated by McRat, plus it looks better without the front plate, still apply.

jwa999
06-12-09, 12:29 AM
I'm going plateless also.... If I get stopped I'm going to try the dumb blonde thing:bouncy: I will put the plate and bracket in my trunk and tell the nice officer I have it in there and was going to see if the dealer could install it for me when I brought it for an oil change next week.

Then if I still get a fix it ticket. I will figure out a way to install it even if it's with zip-ties to get the ticket signed off. Then drive back home and cut it off ;)

I got a ticket here in TX for no front license plate. All I had to do was take a picture of the car with the license plate on it and play the $10 processing fee. Ticked was dismissed.
So, take a picture once and be done with it! :)

Hans.

chopmeat
06-12-09, 03:13 PM
It's the law in NY also, but I ain't doing it!!!

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/knihc_photo/Lingenfelter2.jpg

Hawkeye2
07-03-09, 06:22 AM
I installed the mechanical flip one. I used my own method so there was no drilling. I bought 2 lengths of galvanized
metal strapping from the hardware store and made my own mounting brackets that uses exisiting bolts under the
front end. I'll try and post some photos this weekend.

Bottom line, it can be done with the Swiftmotorsports bracket with no drilling. Installation is easy. Just some
ramps to get the front end safely up in the air.

aco
07-03-09, 01:29 PM
Looking forward to your install pics! May I ask why you went with the manual vs. the automatic plate? Do you know if there is much difference in installed clearance?

Hawkeye2
07-03-09, 03:02 PM
Here are some photos,

Hard to see the bracket I made without getting it back in the air, but you
can get the idea. I can help anyone who really wants to know. Just
PM me and I can call you.

Brian.

With plate hidden
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Hawkeye2/DSCN0669.jpg

With plate uphttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Hawkeye2/DSCN0670.jpg

With plate 1/2 way up
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Hawkeye2/DSCN0671.jpg

And 2 showing the type of bracket I made
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Hawkeye2/DSCN0672.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Hawkeye2/DSCN0673.jpg

caddyx2
07-04-09, 01:00 AM
I didn't like the idea of making holes in my new V's bumper for the front Ontario plate but liked the idea of getting ticketed even less. Went to the Dealer to install the unsightly bracket and when I voiced my dislike in doing so, the bodyshop guy came to have a look at what could be done.

He suggested that I install the plate (without the bracket) on the lower grill opening, using plastic tie-wraps. The 4 tie-wraps simply fasten onto the mesh work of the grill. We bent the plate slightly in the middle, to fit the contour of the grill and applied two strips of foam to the back side of the plate to prevent chafing of the plate against the grill work.

Now, if I ever want to remove the plate, all I have to do is snip the 4 tie-wraps and off it comes. Re-installing it would simply require 4 new tie-wraps.

I'm told that many guys who do the car show circuit and drive their cars to and from the shows do this all the time. On for the road, off for the show. And no Tickets!!!!!

Hawkeye2
07-04-09, 09:03 AM
I thought of that as well, but was concerned about how much air would be blocked by the plate. Keep me posted if
you notice any over heating issues.

Brian.

Hawkeye2
07-04-09, 09:06 AM
Looking forward to your install pics! May I ask why you went with the manual vs. the automatic plate? Do you know if there is much difference in installed clearance?

Not sure about the clearance. I really did not want to have to
breach the fire wall and run wires for something that I would not
be moving that often. Hmm.....maybe I could put a remote switch
and tie it to the homelink buttons! Oh if I only had more hours in the day....

aco
07-04-09, 01:45 PM
Thanks for pics and explanation Hawkeye2. Very nicely done!

mik2718
07-04-09, 02:54 PM
I thought of that as well, but was concerned about how much air would be blocked by the plate. Keep me posted if

With the stock plate mounting bracket, 2/3 to 3/4 of the plate blocks the opening, so this shouldn't be terribly much worse.

caddyx2
07-07-09, 09:27 PM
Hawkeye2 Re: Front License Plate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian.

I got delivery of my car in November (one of the first 4 in Canada), in Ottawa, and ran it all winter. I took note of the coolant temperature then so I could check for overheating when I attached the front plate. Here we are in July and even on the warmest day with the engine idling (while I the hard drive with music, the temps are the same and rock stable. No fears about overheating whatsoever!

Wilton

Hawkeye2
07-07-09, 10:46 PM
That's good to know - thanks.

I also toyed with the idea of drilling some air holes in the plate then
wire tying it to the grille.

Hmm....Ottawa.... a wild shot, do you know Bill Mason? He has a
C4 and a C6. Used to have a Firehawk, just recently sold it.

Jon
07-09-09, 04:46 AM
Well, after 1 and a half years of no front plate, I got a ticket at 3am tonight. $110 for failure to display two plates, even though my front is secured to my windshield. Honestly, for $110 I'll call it a car tax.

Hawkeye2
07-09-09, 06:27 AM
That's a pretty good run with no plate. As long as they're not looking for you now to keep piling on the
tickets!

vperl
07-10-09, 12:20 AM
Has anyome put on the electric plate hiding system on a V2

Hawkeye2
08-10-09, 01:07 PM
Took a few more photos of the install. Hope they might help some one. Finally got it in the air for direct underneath photos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Hawkeye2/DSCN0723.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Hawkeye2/DSCN0724.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Hawkeye2/DSCN0726.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Hawkeye2/DSCN0725.jpg

So far it is working out great!

thatcoder
08-10-09, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the shots.

nynd
08-10-09, 10:35 PM
FYI: I thought about going plateless (also in Ontario) but why risk the headache. So, instead of riveting the plate holder on, I simply drilled two holes right below the mounting points in the plate holder and then ran a long zip tie through it for each side. It seems to be holding real well so well see how it works out. When you want to remove it, just cut the two zips and clean bumper with no holes! Just offering it up for someone debating that dreaded rivet to go through the front bumper. I looked at it with just fastnening the plate to the lower grille with zips but the plate holder makes it look more professional, especially for a car with this much class!

Jon
08-14-09, 01:45 PM
FYI: I thought about going plateless (also in Ontario) but why risk the headache. So, instead of riveting the plate holder on, I simply drilled two holes right below the mounting points in the plate holder and then ran a long zip tie through it for each side. It seems to be holding real well so well see how it works out. When you want to remove it, just cut the two zips and clean bumper with no holes! Just offering it up for someone debating that dreaded rivet to go through the front bumper. I looked at it with just fastnening the plate to the lower grille with zips but the plate holder makes it look more professional, especially for a car with this much class!
Never really understood that. If you're going to carry the plate anyways, why not just rivet it in? When would you take the plate off anyways?

Good to see another Ontario owner though! :)

nynd
08-15-09, 01:04 PM
LOL - For days when I feel like taking the plate off... and risking the attention! The rivets just "hurt" to much to put through the bumper! LOL!
I can see what your saying... just gives you a choice I guess, especially if you ever sell it later and the person wants no front plate.

neuronbob
08-15-09, 01:43 PM
Hey Hawkeye, how much drilling did you have to do to install those brackets? Thanks so much for the pictures. Thinking of doing this.

Bob

JackB
08-23-09, 12:53 PM
Has anyone installed the standard front CTS plate holder upside down? I would like comfort prior to drilling holes in bumper. This seems to be a good compromise as it moves the plate from in front of the top grill.
Hawkeye2, that is a pretty slick idea but what happens when the panel needs to be removed for an oil change?

Hawkeye2
08-23-09, 02:52 PM
I did not drill any holes. I used existing holes, just need two longer screws that I picked up at Home Hardware.

You do not need to remove anything for an oil change. It works great. Just took a trip to PA. I flipped the
plate down the whole time in the U.S. I just blend in on the Interstates. I always feel that with the front
tag you are a mark for the state troopers looking for a cash grab from out of staters.

1BlinkGone
08-24-09, 03:53 PM
That front plate requirement in some states is nothing more and nothing less than to have something for the police to focus their radar gun on, and get a bounce-back. That's it.

If it was really THAT important for any other reason, they'd also require it to be illuminated, just like the rear one.

Razorecko
08-24-09, 04:28 PM
This is the thread about what i did to my jeep front plate....

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2989&highlight=Razorecko+plate+mod

Some heavy duty suction cups gorilla glued to the back of the plate. Glued a frame on it to make it look legit and it never failed. Through auto car washes, snow storms, all of it.

BlueyedCaptain
08-24-09, 04:40 PM

Well, I have a 1992 Cadi Eldorado that the front plate keeps getting ripped off of the car at the car wash here in MD where we are required to have a front plate....so I have gone plateless for about 10 years and have been pulled over, warned, ticketed and inspection required about 8 times. Been to court twice about it to get fine reduced. Just a heads up to others who do it. Other than that, I have a clean driving record. Must be a slow day for these guys! I have even twice had cops pass me on the other side of the road, turn around somewhere and catch back up with me MANY MANY miles further down the road. At court, one cop had 15 cases of no front tags. He even pulled a guy out of a funeral procession!!

Baxman
11-04-09, 02:18 AM
Here in WA, like other states, revenues are down and enforcement is up. I drove my pre-V car for 7 years w/o a front plate, but in the past 9 months was pulled over twice. But who wants to disfigure such a handsome face with a front plate? I worked out this compromise, but I'm certain it will still get me a ticket, and I'm not sure of the look. There is good clearance between the plate and the radiator, so I doubt that cooling will be compromised. What do you think?

http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-site/services/doc/4858:374246678703/jpeg/BG

Hawkeye2
11-05-09, 12:31 PM
All I see is a Red X??

Jon
11-05-09, 01:33 PM
I can't see the picture, but...

I worked out this compromise, but I'm certain it will still get me a ticket, and I'm not sure of the look.

Then what's the point? You're destroying the front end and you'll still get tickets.

Baxman
11-05-09, 01:35 PM
My HTML code knowledge is weak.

If you still can't see it, try this link:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=916383988703%3A1191680560

Jon
11-05-09, 01:42 PM
My HTML code knowledge is weak.

If you still can't see it, try this link:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=916383988703%3A1191680560
You'd have a better chance on your dashboard and suctioned cup to the windshield. That's what I do.

You're probably standing 10 feet away from the car when you took that picture and it's hardly readable.

CTSV4now
11-05-09, 01:57 PM
I looked at the picture. it is difficult to see the numbers/letters on the plate. Will the cops still pull you over?

allklr
11-05-09, 02:26 PM
I m getting my grill painted today, While they have it apart im getting the holes fixed......Hope I don't get to many tickets

Hawkeye2
11-05-09, 04:52 PM
I've thought about that - as well as just wire tying to the outside of the grille, and drilling some some small holes in the plate to help
with the air flow.

Let us know if you get stopped - it really is tough to read in the photo.

nynd
11-05-09, 08:10 PM
Isn't there something in the highway traffic act that states it should be unobstructed and in plain view? Wouldn't that be obstructed? Nice idea although I say make a colour photocopy and just stick in the windshield when driving.

FROM ANOTHER FORUM*****************************************
Ok I found some info regarding Permits and Licence Plates.

Permit requirements

7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or

(ii) number plates described in subsection (7.2) if the vehicle is an historic vehicle and the Ministry has issued a currently validated permit for it; and

(c) evidence of the current validation of the permit is affixed, in the prescribed manner, to,

(i) one of the number plates mentioned in subclause (b) (i) displayed on the vehicle, or

(ii) to a mini-plate attached to the number plate exposed on the rear of the vehicle, if number plates described in subsection (7.2) are displayed on the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (1); 2000, c. 29, s. 1 (1).

- In a prescribed manner - this might be referring to how the MTO prescribes where to put your plate on the vehicle.

Jon
11-05-09, 08:20 PM
Isn't there something in the highway traffic act that states it should be unobstructed and in plain view? Wouldn't that be obstructed? Nice idea although I say make a colour photocopy and just stick in the windshield when driving.

FROM ANOTHER FORUM*****************************************
Ok I found some info regarding Permits and Licence Plates.

Permit requirements

7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or

(ii) number plates described in subsection (7.2) if the vehicle is an historic vehicle and the Ministry has issued a currently validated permit for it; and

(c) evidence of the current validation of the permit is affixed, in the prescribed manner, to,

(i) one of the number plates mentioned in subclause (b) (i) displayed on the vehicle, or

(ii) to a mini-plate attached to the number plate exposed on the rear of the vehicle, if number plates described in subsection (7.2) are displayed on the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (1); 2000, c. 29, s. 1 (1).

- In a prescribed manner - this might be referring to how the MTO prescribes where to put your plate on the vehicle.

A photocopy will get you in even more trouble because that's displaying a fake plate. Same as those guys running with vinyl stickers of their plate on their front bumper. If the cop wants to charge you he can get you in a lot of trouble for that. Same goes for people that trim/fold the plate; that qualifies as defacing government property (the plate is property of the government, even if you have a personalized plate.)

When I got my ticket, I was given a ticket for HTA 7(i)b(i). So " there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner."

It is absolutely up to the police officer. The law states the plate has to be displayed on the front of my vehicle. It does not say the ABSOLUTE front, or the front bumper. Behind my FRONT windshield is still the FRONT of my vehicle IMO. I've had 3 cops ask me about the plate and 1 ticket. The ticket was at 3am in the morning in Scarborough; I know they just used that as an excuse to stop me and see who I was and what I was up to.

One time I was coming back from the track and got stopped at a highway roadside inspection. Cop asked me about the plate and didn't even tell me to put it on the bumper. I'm not trying to hide the plate, it's there on the dash.

At the end of the day the fine is not a moving violation and will not affect your insurance. The cost is a drop in the bucket. I'll pay the $110 every time; the plate stays off the bumper.

Baxman
11-06-09, 01:49 AM
Yes, the plate is hard to read through the grill mesh. That is why I think *some* nice officer will write me up anyway. In this state, a plate in the window will still get you a ticket. My biggest concern is cleaning the road grime and bugs off the plate because it's not easy to get to. If it doesn't work out, I'll remove it and just take my chances. Like Jon said, the fine is relatively cheap, ~$120 here.

wahala
11-06-09, 10:21 AM
I finally put mine on the front, but used tie wraps. Drilled some holes in the factory mounting bracket, connected the tie wraps through the lower mesh, then put the plate on as normal covering the tie wraps. No holes in the bumper, and it can be easily removed if I sell it in 20 years or so.

mpouls1
11-06-09, 02:10 PM
I was curious what the laws regarding this were in Illinois. Did a google on "illinois license front plate laws" and got this:

625 ILCS 5/3-413(b) specifies that: "every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than 5 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position clearly visible and shall be maintained in a condition to be clearly legible, free of any materials that would obstruct the visibility of the plate" 625 ILCS 5/12-610.5 mandates that no glass, plastic or covers can be over the plate.
These regulations make any mounting of the plate inside the vehicle illegal. A plate must be affixed to the front and rear of the car. Your best bet may be to search for an aftermarket mounting bracket for your car that will allow it to mount to your bumper. Check the Internet or your local auto parts store.

Here is the link: http://blogs.suburbanchicagonews.com/trooper/2007/09/front_license_plate_mounting.html

Didn't see anything more updated. I'm just waiting for the trooper that sits just past the bridge on Bypass 20 to pay me a visit. Not aware of any way around it. Roll the dice and just pay and deal with it or deface one of the most beautiful front ends I have ever seen. I'm not even going to go there with the rear...

Tony407
11-07-09, 09:27 PM
Or you could paint it like I did mine. However, I'm sure that a ticket for altering a plate would be more than for simply not having one...

Tony

chopmeat
11-07-09, 09:57 PM
After 9 months I just got a ticket for the front plate...
Today I ordered the motorized plate that's hidden underneath!

pj911
11-08-09, 11:24 AM
How do these hide-a-way plates affect ground clearance? I am curious to know from anyone that has installed these (both manual & motorized) how much overall clearance is lost. The picture that hawkeye2 provided looks like this piece is just begging to be ripped off (especially for those of us driving in the winter/snow). I would like to purchase one of these but this is my main concern.

Hawkeye2
11-08-09, 11:36 AM
No problem with mine - I don't use it in the winter! My driveway has a slope, and I rub the chin spoiler on the Z06 and the V when I
go up and down the drive, but the plate does not hit at all.

aballeh
11-06-12, 03:40 PM
I mounted the motorized hideaway plate, it lasted one week. The first ground strike broke it and now it doesn't work at all.This is a very cheap kit. The first two i bought arrived broken. I just saw the suction cup idea glued to the back of the plate or bracket and am going that route.

dennych
11-06-12, 04:48 PM
Rather than deal with the fix-it tickets I think i'm gonna buy the motorized hideaway plate similar to hawkeye. How difficult is the install? I'm assuming a jack up is required?
Also what's the best place to buy it. Looks like it's being sold in various places but there's no single mfr.

Rule12b
11-07-12, 02:18 AM
D3 makes a mount that goes into the tow hook slot. I actually like the way the plate looks on the car as crazy as it sounds. And, its a quick swap out when I need a tow hoook for the track.

dennych
11-07-12, 04:11 AM
D3 makes a mount that goes into the tow hook slot. I actually like the way the plate looks on the car as crazy as it sounds. And, its a quick swap out when I need a tow hoook for the track.

I pondered that solution. Do you have a shot of it from the side? My brother has a similar setup on his m3 and it looks kind of odd since the steel arm sticks out a bit.

Va72mlibu
11-07-12, 01:26 PM
I will put the plate and bracket in my trunk and tell the nice officer I have it in there and was going to see if the dealer could install it for me when I brought it for an oil change next week.
I am absolutely going to do this.

Rule12b
11-07-12, 09:11 PM
I pondered that solution. Do you have a shot of it from the side? My brother has a similar setup on his m3 and it looks kind of odd since the steel arm sticks out a bit.

I'll look around. I know I don't have one from the side but maybe the front. It doesn't stick out very far at all maybe an inch, but I like that it appears to "float" away from the bumper and it doesn't block any grills or intakes. And it is rock solid.

thebigjimsho
11-07-12, 09:40 PM
I am absolutely going to do this.

It's what I've done in MA for the last 8 1/2 years on both of my Vs...

11-09-12, 03:44 PM
after 8 years of no front plate in VA on two cars, I got a ticket last week, in Washington DC. I am disputing it (online) on the grounds that DC has no jurisdiction to enforce VA registration rules. From what I have been told by others who have had the same problem, DC will take the position that they do, in fact, have the right to do that. For the $50 I am not about to go to court to make a constitutional defense, so I will likely pay up.

I am told that the feds and the times are putting pressure on all states to require and enforce rules for two license plates. Photo enforcement, ETC, and everyones favorite, anti-terrorism reasons (so anti-crime street cams are twice as likely to see a license plate) are driving it......

thebigjimsho
11-09-12, 06:13 PM
after 8 years of no front plate in VA on two cars, I got a ticket last week, in Washington DC. I am disputing it (online) on the grounds that DC has no jurisdiction to enforce VA registration rules. From what I have been told by others who have had the same problem, DC will take the position that they do, in fact, have the right to do that. For the $50 I am not about to go to court to make a constitutional defense, so I will likely pay up.

I am told that the feds and the times are putting pressure on all states to require and enforce rules for two license plates. Photo enforcement, ETC, and everyones favorite, anti-terrorism reasons (so anti-crime street cams are twice as likely to see a license plate) are driving it......

Yeah, that's crap...

dennych
11-13-12, 05:56 PM
Just found this old thread
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/228490-rho-plate-mount-now-available-2009-a-3.html

Looks like a great alternative to the D3 one. It's much cheaper! $60 vs $129.
Any thoughts from people who own either or?

Dr. Design
11-13-12, 06:34 PM
Here are a few images from our website:

http://www.d3cadillac.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/d3_plate_holder-05.jpg
http://www.d3cadillac.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/d3_plate_holder-03.jpg

http://www.d3cadillac.com/products/cts-v-license-plate-mount-tow-hook

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

dennych
11-13-12, 10:38 PM
Here are a few images from our website:

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Hey, do you guys have these in stock at your location? I live in the southbay so I'm nearby.

thebigjimsho
11-13-12, 11:43 PM
Just found this old thread
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/228490-rho-plate-mount-now-available-2009-a-3.html

Looks like a great alternative to the D3 one. It's much cheaper! $60 vs $129.
Any thoughts from people who own either or?

I only use it when heading into inspection. But it works well...

Tampa2Dubai
11-14-12, 02:42 AM
The RHO plate is better than the D3 imho, its way cheaper and can be angled so the plate runs flush with the front of the car whereas the D3 is fixed and sticks further out.

I have to mount mine all the time; unfortunately here in Dubai its the law ... fixed speed cameras urrh

mrkool
11-14-12, 07:48 PM
I am not sure where but i saw a front licnese plate that hooked onto the tow hook area you half twist to lock and and then half twist to take it off. When it was off you just pop the magnetic plastic cover back on and everything is stock. not sure if it was a M3 or a CTS-V but cant seem to find it any where now

mrkool
11-15-12, 10:48 AM
found it but it is kinda pricey 169 hmmm

http://www.mfestlab.com/product_p/qckrelichldr.htm

----------

found it but it is kinda pricey 169 hmmm

http://www.mfestlab.com/product_p/qckrelichldr.htm