: 500 ci. carb question

AZ Dave
07-07-04, 06:44 PM
I just posted on the new members listing then I saw this one.

I was lookin to maybe rebuild the carb on my eldorado when my wife said just get a new one. So since thats a option any suggestions as to what has been working best.
thanks Dave

davesdeville
07-07-04, 11:18 PM
Well a new carb's gonna be probably $400. A professional rebuild is $200 and up. A rebuild kit is $20. If you feel comfortable working with a lot of small parts, try rebuilding it.

Ogier
07-08-04, 12:46 AM
A good rule of thumb is to use the following formula as a guideline:

(Cu/In)*max_rpm/3456=cfm.

Engine = 500cu/in
Max_rpm = 4500

formula looks like 500*4500/3456 = 651cfm carb.

Please note, I have been building engines for over 20 years and this formula is pretty close at all levels. Too much carb will cause you nothing but grief.

Good luck.
Ogier :dance:

Sasquatch
07-08-04, 09:39 AM
I put a brand NEW Edelbrock Performer 1411 carb on my 69 Caddy hearse with a 472 motor. This carb is 750 cfm electric choke and I love it. Easy to install and $298.00 from Advance Discount Auto Parts. If your going new this is a great carb. you will have to buy the adapter plate for an additional $30.00 but it is well worth it. Pulled it out of the box bolted it on and started driving. Didn't need to mess with the carb in anyway as far as adjusting it. Was perfect right out of the box. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/carb_square.html

Imprl59
07-08-04, 04:51 PM
I just posted on the new members listing then I saw this one.

I was lookin to maybe rebuild the carb on my eldorado when my wife said just get a new one. So since thats a option any suggestions as to what has been working best.
thanks Dave
I would use an Edelbrock 600 on it if it were mine. I have used four of these over the last few years and, like another poster here alerady said, you just put them on and drive away. Just be careful and don't fall in to the "bigger is better" thinking that we sometimes fall in to...

Steve B.

Sasquatch
07-08-04, 05:40 PM
In all the searches I did when looking to replace my carb. the 1411 was the suggested carb for the 472 motor. It has nothing to do with thinking bigger is better, this is the carb. recommended when entering the info regarding my vehicle i.e. year make and model. This is from Advance Auto Parts website.

750 cfm Carburetor with square-flange and electric choke

For 402 c.i.d. and larger Performer applications. Lean calibration for maximum fuel economy. Provides excellent fuel economy when used on 454 c.i.d. Chevrolet and 460 c.i.d. Ford Performer applications.

Includes both timed and full vacuum ports for ignition advance.Comes with the following jets, rods and springs: Metering Jets: Primary .110, Secondary .107; Metering Rods: .075 x .047. Step-Up Spring: orange (5" Hg).

As I stated before I love mine. Runs great and have never had a problem. The 472 and 500 cad motors are basically the same motor. So if it works on the 472 I don't see why it wouldn't work equally as well with your application.

Imprl59
07-09-04, 09:20 AM
In all the searches I did when looking to replace my carb. the 1411 was the suggested carb for the 472 motor. It has nothing to do with thinking bigger is better, this is the carb. recommended when entering the info regarding my vehicle i.e. year make and model. This is from Advance Auto Parts website.

I wasn't questioning your carb choice Sasquatch. Personally I would choose the 600 over the 750 but that is just my opinion. My warning against "bigger is better" was meant to let him know to stay away from the over 1000cfm carbs like the Demon racing carbs.

600 cfm is a little bit small and 750 is a little big. I personally like the 600 best because the low end performance is a little better and thats where I drive my cars.. They never get wound out so I would never see the handicap at the top end. Your mileage may vary, tax tag and title extra.

Steve B.

Mystical_Ice
07-09-04, 01:47 PM
don't put a 600 in a 500c.i. engine... i put a 600 cfm edelbrock (model #1400 = electric choke) in my 368c.i. engine... that was what people recommended for it (mechanics i know) and it worked out fine. i can't see it working for an engine that's one third bigger than mine ;)

AZ Dave
07-11-04, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the input so far.
I checked out a Edelbrock #1406 today and it wasn't emmissons legal. I would need the 1400 He did have a Holley that was "pretty much the same thing" and it was legal, but I hadn't really heard to much on there product in this discuisson.

Dave

Imprl59
07-12-04, 12:04 PM
I checked out a Edelbrock #1406 today and it wasn't emmissons legal. I would need the 1400 He did have a Holley that was "pretty much the same thing" and it was legal, but I hadn't really heard to much on there product in this discuisson.

Dave
Sorry Dave I didn't even think about you still needing to pass emissions tests. What is the cut off year in Arizona (if thats where you are)?

I haven't had any experience with the Holley carbs. Hopefully someone familiar with them will chime in soon.

Steve B.

JTraik
07-12-04, 05:55 PM

Dave

You just need some friends at gas stations :D

AZ Dave
07-12-04, 06:17 PM
Sorry Dave I didn't even think about you still needing to pass emissions tests. What is the cut off year in Arizona (if thats where you are)?

I haven't had any experience with the Holley carbs. Hopefully someone familiar with them will chime in soon.

Steve B.

The emisions cut off is '67 in Arizona.
It seemjs that The Edelbrock's come with more assessories and stuff. the Holley I looked at was just the carb.

Dave

lux hauler
07-12-04, 10:22 PM
don't put a 600 in a 500c.i. engine... i put a 600 cfm edelbrock (model #1400 = electric choke) in my 368c.i. engine... that was what people recommended for it (mechanics i know) and it worked out fine. i can't see it working for an engine that's one third bigger than mine ;)I was looking to get a carb for my mild .060 over 500 (514ci). The tech at Demon told me that a 725 Road Demon was all I needed.
95% of the engines out there are way over carbed (percentage just a guess but probably pretty close). A carb that's too big can lower the overall performance of the vehicle.
The formula posted by Ogier will get you really close to what you need.

Sasquatch
07-13-04, 05:24 AM
Took my Hearse out today and that sucka hauls ass. If I'm over carbureted than so be it. No performance loss for me. Just lots of fun and speed.

AZ Dave
07-14-04, 06:35 PM
The formula Ogier posted was quiet helpful and the locals at the parts place agreed with it.

Thanks Dave

AZ Dave
07-28-04, 07:47 PM
So basically I went with the 1411. OH my I had NO clue what I was in for. Install was easy. The new life This thing has brought forth is incredible.
Dave

Sasquatch
07-29-04, 08:36 AM
Glad to hear it!!!! I knew you would love that carb. It made a world of difference on my hearse as well. Enjoy the "new" ride.