: oil

oldworld
03-22-09, 10:14 PM
Never really have done synthetic oil.........
now, as I learn more about it, I would like to switch.
Question..............is it ok to start using synthetic oil after always using conventional oil?
THANKS as always

obxdiver
03-22-09, 10:23 PM
I have had mine 05 ESV for 4000 miles now. The previous owner always ran the Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30
I am due for the 1st oil change and I am switching to Amsoil 5W30 synthetic with the Amsoil EA filter.
I ran Amsoil in my former Yukon Denali. It is only available through a distributor
They make some of the best lubricants available.

Rolex
03-22-09, 10:32 PM
No problem with it. Higher mileage vehicles may (on occasion) develop small oil leaks when you switch to synthetic.

oldworld
03-22-09, 11:06 PM
what is considered high mileage.....

digitalcaddie
03-22-09, 11:19 PM
High mileage might be 100k, might be 75k...it just depends. If you have no leaks with conventional, but develop some with synthetic, just keep the oil topped up until your next change and then go back to conventional. Or tighten up/fix whatever is leaking. I just switched over to syn...pretty sure the previous owner used conventional and I think the engine runs quieter on synthetic. No leaks though with 66k on the clock.

oldworld
03-22-09, 11:31 PM
Thats what I heard about the synthetic...maybe leaks become evident.
what is it about synthetic that makes that happen?

fierodough
03-23-09, 10:00 AM
The sludge or varnish that regular oil leaves behind actually blocks some small leaks. When you switch to synthetic, the sludge / varnish starts to get washed away. This is a good thing for your engine but allows the oil to seep through the small faults in your gaskets.

oldworld
03-23-09, 11:52 AM
Assuming that as fact.............should I then add some sort of additive to help with preventing the leaking? Someone suggested using lucan oil additive.
Any other suggestions or thoughts on this?

THANKS

fierodough
03-23-09, 12:25 PM
I would say no. If varnish is blocking an oil leak, this is only a band aid at best and could lead to a major sudden oil leak in the future. If you do get an oil leak, just replace the responsible gasket or tighten the bolts and solve the actual problem.

If your truck is properly maintained, you should have nothing to worry about really.

oldworld
03-23-09, 12:31 PM
I will go ahead and switch at next oil change.....why use amsoil filter? Are they to work symbioticly?

obxdiver
03-23-09, 02:35 PM
I will go ahead and switch at next oil change.....why use amsoil filter? Are they to work symbioticly?

AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters (EaO) have the best efficiency rating in the industry. EaO Filters provide a filtering efficiency in accordance with industry standard ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 15 microns, while competitive filters containing conventional cellulose medias range from 40 to 80 percent efficiency.

If used in conjunction with AMSOIL Motor Oil that is being changed at intervals less than 25,000 miles, the EaO Filter should be changed at the same time. AMSOIL EaO Filters are not guaranteed for 25,000 miles when used with any oil other than AMSOIL Motor Oil and should be changed according to vehicle OEM recommendations.

Read more here
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx

And here
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx

oldworld
03-23-09, 03:10 PM
THANKS FOR THAT INFO AND LINKS.....very helpful.

KrazyKeith
03-23-09, 06:32 PM
95k on my 03' Lade

I use mobil 1, 5w30 and mobil 1 oil filter, no leaks at all under the truck...

Here's a question though, how many miles does the oil life indicator go for, or is it completly based off my driving habits ?

Can I let it go til it says change engine oil because I'm using mobil 1?

I wouldnt ever go over 5,000 miles with it anyways....

whats the average you guys are changing the syn oil out?

oldworld
03-23-09, 07:06 PM
I believe that the oil meter will read it as though it is conventional oil. You would need to reset it, and go another round.....I guess if you change at every 5k, go for it every 5k and forget the oil meter.
Hope that helps.....if I stand corrected, please let me know...
THANKS

obxdiver
03-23-09, 07:27 PM
95k on my 03' Lade

Here's a question though, how many miles does the oil life indicator go for, or is it completly based off my driving habits ?

Can I let it go til it says change engine oil because I'm using mobil 1?

The oil life monitor in your truck is based off of regular oil at a 3,000 mile change interval. Some people have said that when they are using Synthetic, they just reset the oil monitor once it hits zero the 1st time and change the oil once the monitor hits 0 for the second or third time.

oldworld
03-23-09, 10:42 PM
Does $7.75 qt for the amsoil 5w 30 sound like a legit price?
Filter from amsoil $12.75?
Never bought either product before and wanted to know price range?

Rolex
03-23-09, 11:55 PM
The cost of Amsoil and the fact that I can't pick it up at a local store (pay shipping) is the reason I don't use it. I know several users here swear by it. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic and Wix filters. Stay away from Wal Mart junk filters (Fram, etc).

CAD-E!
03-24-09, 02:43 AM
use amsoil signature series 0-30. thats what im using in my 03.

obxdiver
03-24-09, 07:01 AM
Does $7.75 qt for the amsoil 5w 30 sound like a legit price?
Filter from amsoil $12.75?
Never bought either product before and wanted to know price range?

Prices on the Amsoil web site don't reflect what prices from local distributors can get.
I have a friend (dive buddy) who is a distributor, and I get a much cheaper price than what you saw.
Rolex is right however, it is not cheap and it is not in a store.

oldworld
03-24-09, 10:27 AM
I was quoted a shipped price with an amsoil filter.............$62.00
That came I am assuming direct.
I was told that it was the dealer cost...........the cost that a distributor would pay.
Remember, that includes the shipping.

How much then would 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5w 30 and a wix filter cost in comparison? Where can you purchae wix filters??

Told by e-mail that the oil is changed at approx every 25K with the filter.
Is the Mobil 1 the same? Half?
THANKS

obxdiver
03-24-09, 11:23 AM
I would check the Mobil1 web site for those answers.
Yes, the Amsoil Oil with Amsoil EA filter is guaranteed for 25,000 miles (or 1 year)
I will change my oil at 15,000 (or every year whichever comes 1st) after I put the Amsoil in this weekend
In the long run, the price is not that bad.

oldworld
03-24-09, 11:55 AM
Seems you are right about the pricing.
Mobil one looks like approx 7500 Miles.
So with being able to extend that to 15000 or more, the savings of not having to do it twice...with a new filter is really economical in the long run.

I will be ordering the amsoil today. Was the price listed above about where it should be?

THANKS

digitalcaddie
03-24-09, 12:23 PM
While we're on the topic of oil changes, Mobil 1 is offering a $10 mail-in-rebate on the purchase of a 5qt jug if you go to their website (www.mobil1.com) and print out the rebate form. In the current economic situation and with the cost of synthetic oil, saving 10 bucks on an oil change is a pretty good deal. Last time I did mine, I can't remember if I put in Valvoline Syn or Mobil1 (it was the only 5W-30 syn Wally World had in stock at the time so that's what I went with), but this rebate is good for any purchase between April 1 and Aug 31 so looks like Mobil1 will be going in at the next change. BTW I've used Fram filters for a long time and never had a problem. I did purchase one that had a large dent in it probably from shipping that I took back to the store, but I've never had any issues. Small tip for the novices, check your filter for physical damage like dents before purchase...if you see something you don't like, reach a little further back on the shelf and grab a different filter.

oldworld
03-24-09, 12:28 PM
Not knowing the cost of a Mobil 1 6 quart oil change and fram filter, hard to say if the amsoil and filter is the way to go.
Can you tell us what a Mobil 1 and filter change costs you?
THANKS

Povich
03-24-09, 12:33 PM
Not knowing the cost of a Mobil 1 6 quart oil change and fram filter, hard to say if the amsoil and filter is the way to go.
Can you tell us what a Mobil 1 and filter change costs you?
THANKS

Use this in mine and just did about 2 months ago, if i recall was around 75-80$! Give or take a few! Oldworld tried to pm your Mailbox is full!

obxdiver
03-24-09, 12:40 PM
I am picking up a case (12 qts) and 2 EA032 filters tonight from my Amsoil dude.
I will give you my price breakdown later this evening.
I remember $5.95/qt for the 5W-30 oil and $9.50 for the EA filter when I had my Denali
I will let you know later tonight

digitalcaddie
03-24-09, 01:06 PM
A qt of Mobil 1 syn is $7 at AZ, times 6 = $42. If you use a Fram/Delco filter, add 5 bucks, if you use a Mobil filter or something more exotic, add 10-15 bucks. If you can find the 5qt jugs, take off a couple bucks (my AZ doesn't stock those). Take off 10 bucks with the rebate...gets you down to $37+tax for oil and a filter if you go with the cheaper filter. That's not a bad deal...

obxdiver
03-24-09, 02:13 PM
I emailed my Amsoil dude.
I am paying $123.55 (this includes shipping and tax) for 12 qts of 5W30 and 2 EA032 filters
That's $61.77 for each oil change that will last up to 25,000 miles each.
But as I said, I will change it at 15,000

oldworld
03-24-09, 02:51 PM
My guy here quoted me $61.60 plus tax..............shipped.
So I guess thats a good price............especially with the longer change span.

coralreef35mm
03-24-09, 08:22 PM
I use amsoil 5w30 , with amsoil air filter, and amsoil in front and rear diff..I'm a preferred customer, so I save a bit...
oil is one of those things where you get what you pay for..I do use the corvette gold oil filter though..that thing is awesome.
I also run a bottle of techron, or vpower throught the engine on the tank before change..I change at about 4500 to 5k

oldworld
03-24-09, 09:35 PM
Curious...why change your oil so often when amsoil suggests 25 k miles??

obxdiver
03-24-09, 09:59 PM
In my Denali, I let it go 23,000 and my gas mileage started going down. After I changed the oil, it went back to normal.
So, now I do it between 15-20K.
That's once every 12-15 months for me.

oldworld
03-24-09, 10:14 PM
I will go with the 20K interval