: Convert 98 SLS motor into STS motor?

bajarails
03-22-09, 12:52 PM
I have a 98 Seville SLS, and I am going to have to take it all apart to fix the head gaskets. I also have access to STS heads, which have less miles, and a STS ECU. Can I convert by changing heads (and therefore cams) and ECU?

chubbyranger
03-22-09, 02:28 PM
IIRC the final drive ratio in the transmissions are different from SLS to STS so it would not buy you much to add the 25 HP. Given the complexity of these cars, trying that conversion could come back to bite you.

zonie77
03-22-09, 04:44 PM
You would lose torque. If you change the differential gears and computer you are OK. If you only change the heads you will be sorry.

bajarails
03-22-09, 07:32 PM
OK, so I can put a STS transmission in also to get the right final gearing, it will work. I have access to the transmission also.

Submariner409
03-22-09, 07:52 PM
Not only the transmission PCM section but also several other vehicle control and security modules have the original VIN in memory. They will have to be programmed to work with a different PCM, or the substitute PCM will have to be reprogrammed to work with the original vehicle controls. It ain't all that easy........and OBD-II isn't as programmer (there aren't any) friendly as OBD-I or later CAN electronics.