: CTS-V Friendly Shop in SF Bay Area

fstshrk
03-21-09, 06:01 PM
Any recommendations for a good shop in SF Bay Area (near SJC) that can competently install a few aftermarket goodies like a short shifter etc, without requiring multiple trips and also can advise on suspension, alignment etc.

Any for factory warranty work, which of the Cadillac dealers are good? I read the reviews on St Claire and it seems like they should be avoided like the plague.

Thanks

shredder
03-21-09, 07:48 PM
I'm going to be taking mine into Stewart Cadillac in Daly City for a host of things. I'll let ya know how that goes if you don't find a place soon.

fstshrk
03-21-09, 07:53 PM
I'm going to be taking mine into Stewart Cadillac in Daly City for a host of things. I'll let ya know how that goes if you don't find a place soon.

Thanks, my 07 :v: was a leftover purchased brand new in Dec 08, so I have a lot of warranty left. :bouncy:

CTSV_Rob
03-21-09, 08:02 PM
I haven't had St clair do any mods for me yet but I am happy with the service department for some of the warranty work I have done.

rgd also had good luck with a Caddy dealer in Fremont. He would always bring his car there becuase they never questioned him on warranty claims even though he was modded.

CTSV_Rob
03-21-09, 08:02 PM
BTW, Weather is getting nice again, maybe time for another meet.

fstshrk
03-21-09, 08:10 PM
I haven't had St clair do any mods for me yet but I am happy with the service department for some of the warranty work I have done.

rgd also had good luck with a Caddy dealer in Fremont. He would always bring his car there becuase they never questioned him on warranty claims even though he was modded.

I have low expectations of any car dealer. As long as they can change the oil without denting my car, curbing the wheels or cross-threading the oil drain plug, I am usually happy. :bighead:

CTSV_Rob
03-21-09, 08:14 PM
:lol:

I feel the same way.

Avoid the Dealer in Gilroy. They screwed up one of my wheels and when I called them on it they said there was no way there tech's could have done it. They have lost my business for good.

The Boss V
03-21-09, 08:39 PM

Car show next weekend....... I use a Crown Cadillac for my work in Dublin and have always done a good job make sure to talk to Rick Enos he is the man. The recently have moved to a cad/hummer dealer down the street.
Here is there #
(925)-828-6500

Also that short throw is pretty easy to install if you have acsess to a lift.

Joe

fstshrk
03-21-09, 08:57 PM
:lol:

I feel the same way.

Avoid the Dealer in Gilroy. They screwed up one of my wheels and when I called them on it they said there was no way there tech's could have done it. They have lost my business for good.

I bought my :v: there. Very nice buying experience. It probably helped that the entire time I was there on a Saturday, I was the only buyer in the dealership.

CTSV_Rob
03-21-09, 09:21 PM
I bought mine there as well but the Service manager (Joe Cassisi (sp?)) is a douche nozzle.

CTSV_Rob
03-21-09, 09:21 PM
Car show next weekend....... I use a Crown Cadillac for my work in Dublin and have always done a good job make sure to talk to Rick Enos he is the man. The recently have moved to a cad/hummer dealer down the street.
Here is there #
(925)-828-6500

Also that short throw is pretty easy to install if you have acsess to a lift.

Joe

Rick the sales guy there is my brother-in-law. :lol:

rand49er
03-21-09, 09:30 PM
Rick the sales guy there is my brother-in-law. :lol:That's a good one, Rob. :histeric: At least he didn't call him a douchebag.

thebigjimsho
03-21-09, 10:53 PM
I need to throw out a recommendation for Griffin Motorwerks in Berkeley.

http://g-werke.com/service.cfm

I had just bought my V in '04 and had it for only a little over 2 months before driving a cross country trip. On the way, I got to hear the parade clunk for the first time. I was so nervous about it, I called these guys when I was out there since the Caddy dealer didn't want to touch it(After taking 6 hours and almost botching everything, the Caddy dealer finally got my oil temp reflash done).

They specialize in foreign cars but their reputation is excellent. When I got there, they really wanted to help with the problem. They put the V on their alignment lift had a tech in the car engaging the clutch while in the air, trying to replicate the problem. We figured out where it was coming from and they did extensive testing to make sure it was nothing more than noise and not a fatal problem.

They even put me in contact with different vendors who do custom fab work on trailing arms and end links and the like. Even though they had never worked on the V, they were sincerely interested in it and weren't closed minded. And they refused to take any money for the time. Now, their rates aren't cheap from what I've seen, but the reputation is worth it.

If I lived in the Bay Area, I'd go to them with all my suspension and alignment work, no question...

camnet
03-22-09, 01:53 AM
I have had great service from St. Claire. The assistant service manager, Tom Sacco is a cart racer and V lover. He did a oil change and safety inspection for me last month the day before a Thunderhill track day and then I brought it back with a bad diff bushing the following Monday (imagine that). No complaints from Tom on it being a warranty issue. Great guy. Total Performance Solutions (TPS) in Campbell is a great shop for doing mods (they specialize in Vettes and Mustangs) like shifters, maggies, engine mods, suspension, brakes, etc. Mike is the owner. He just did my stainless steel brake lines and lent me his personal car to get home when he couldn't get the lines back on in time. They do a barbecue for gearheads on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays during spring and summer. Might be a place for a future afternoon meet. http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/

Kurlee Daddee
03-24-09, 11:38 AM
BTW, Weather is getting nice again, maybe time for another meet.

This time at Hooter's in Campbell. I live only 3 blocks away from there now :)

thebigjimsho
03-24-09, 01:13 PM
you get work done at Hooters? :hmm:

JimmyH
03-24-09, 01:16 PM
Didnt L5 say he had a pretty good place that works on his car? Or was that in LA?

thebigjimsho
03-24-09, 01:50 PM
He stops in Bakersfield...

JimmyH
03-24-09, 02:51 PM
I am assuming your not talking about Bakersfield NJ?

thebigjimsho
03-24-09, 03:57 PM
there's a Bakersfield, NJ??

JimmyH
03-24-09, 04:24 PM
I guess not. Oh well.

thebigjimsho
03-24-09, 05:06 PM
hmm...

CTSV_Rob
03-24-09, 07:27 PM
This time at Hooter's in Campbell. I live only 3 blocks away from there now :)

Works for me, I work in south SJ and live in Morgan hill.

SFBayV
03-24-09, 08:58 PM

Be a bit cautious when dealing with Stewart. The service advisor Art is great, but my concern is with the mechanics/technicians misdiagnosing issues, not performing complete repairs and physically damaging the car. All of which resulted in multiple return trips.

CTSV_Rob
03-24-09, 10:41 PM
^^ Sounds like Gilroy.

fstshrk
03-24-09, 10:56 PM
I would be up for a meet at this place and actually go have lunch/etc at a decent local place.

I have had great service from St. Claire. The assistant service manager, Tom Sacco is a cart racer and V lover. He did a oil change and safety inspection for me last month the day before a Thunderhill track day and then I brought it back with a bad diff bushing the following Monday (imagine that). No complaints from Tom on it being a warranty issue. Great guy. Total Performance Solutions (TPS) in Campbell is a great shop for doing mods (they specialize in Vettes and Mustangs) like shifters, maggies, engine mods, suspension, brakes, etc. Mike is the owner. He just did my stainless steel brake lines and lent me his personal car to get home when he couldn't get the lines back on in time. They do a barbecue for gearheads on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays during spring and summer. Might be a place for a future afternoon meet. http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/

thebigjimsho
03-24-09, 11:46 PM
I need to throw out a recommendation for Griffin Motorwerks in Berkeley.

http://g-werke.com/service.cfm

I had just bought my V in '04 and had it for only a little over 2 months before driving a cross country trip. On the way, I got to hear the parade clunk for the first time. I was so nervous about it, I called these guys when I was out there since the Caddy dealer didn't want to touch it(After taking 6 hours and almost botching everything, the Caddy dealer finally got my oil temp reflash done).

They specialize in foreign cars but their reputation is excellent. When I got there, they really wanted to help with the problem. They put the V on their alignment lift had a tech in the car engaging the clutch while in the air, trying to replicate the problem. We figured out where it was coming from and they did extensive testing to make sure it was nothing more than noise and not a fatal problem.

They even put me in contact with different vendors who do custom fab work on trailing arms and end links and the like. Even though they had never worked on the V, they were sincerely interested in it and weren't closed minded. And they refused to take any money for the time. Now, their rates aren't cheap from what I've seen, but the reputation is worth it.

If I lived in the Bay Area, I'd go to them with all my suspension and alignment work, no question...Bay Bridge was the dealer I went to for the reflash. They got it done but I wasn't instilled with confidence. They did give me a loaner for the afternoon when they were having issues so that was nice...

Latch
04-22-09, 05:34 PM
What about Corvette shops? Do Corvette owners look down their noses at us V guys? Dublin is a little far for me, but closer to SJC would be awesome.

shredder
04-22-09, 06:06 PM
Be a bit cautious when dealing with Stewart. The service advisor Art is great, but my concern is with the mechanics/technicians misdiagnosing issues, not performing complete repairs and physically damaging the car. All of which resulted in multiple return trips.

Yeah I'm getting that same feeling. Most of my work is upgrades so misdiagnosing shouldn't be an issue. I did find out that I am getting a new tranny though, but on the flipside my car has been there for a month. :bigroll:

CTS-Voodoo
04-22-09, 07:52 PM
Any recommendations for a good shop in SF Bay Area (near SJC) that can competently install a few aftermarket goodies like a short shifter etc, without requiring multiple trips and also can advise on suspension, alignment etc.

Any for factory warranty work, which of the Cadillac dealers are good? I read the reviews on St Claire and it seems like they should be avoided like the plague.

Thanks

Well I would call EFI-Tuning (http://www.efi-tuning.com) out in Pleasanton. Im pretty sure Joe could handle it. He installed the Katech shifter on mine..

SFBayV
04-23-09, 02:41 PM
Yeah I'm getting that same feeling. Most of my work is upgrades so misdiagnosing shouldn't be an issue. I did find out that I am getting a new tranny though, but on the flipside my car has been there for a month. :bigroll:

Is your V silver? I think that I saw it up on a rack when I was down there last week. I saw that the trans was out and Art mentioned something about the owner getting a lightweight flywheel installed. Was that your car?

shredder
04-23-09, 06:18 PM
Is your V silver? I think that I saw it up on a rack when I was down there last week. I saw that the trans was out and Art mentioned something about the owner getting a lightweight flywheel installed. Was that your car?

Yeah thats my car. Got FG2s and UUC mounts put on also. But the car is still there for the tranny.

SFBayV
04-23-09, 07:38 PM
Yeah thats my car. Got FG2s and UUC mounts put on also. But the car is still there for the tranny.

I was out there again on Tuesday and saw them pushing it into a new bay. A quick word of advice. Check your rocker moldings when the repair is done. While they had my car, they twice put it on a lift with no rubber cushions and right on the rocker moldings. They had to replace and paint the driver side front and passenger side rear moldings. Another instance was two hours after I took the car home after they repaired the rear main seal, the trans temp gauge was reading over 220 degrees. It turns out that they had to remove the trans again as they pinched a part of the harness between the bell housing and the block. They're a competent service shop and Art is a good guy. They made some pretty obvious mistakes. But they also took care of the issues they caused.

I was able to have them install a UUC aluminum flywheel and shifter with bushings while they were repairing that rear main. Stock suspension and motor though. Now that the warranty has just expired, a blown LS7 will be going in place of the LS6 I'm looking into Penske coil over's (if I can find some when I'm ready). No body mods though.

shredder
04-23-09, 07:45 PM
I was out there again on Tuesday and saw them pushing it into a new bay. A quick word of advice. Check your rocker moldings when the repair is done. While they had my car, they twice put it on a lift with no rubber cushions and right on the rocker moldings. They had to replace and paint the driver side front and passenger side rear moldings. Another instance was two hours after I took the car home after they repaired the rear main seal, the trans temp gauge was reading over 220 degrees. It turns out that they had to remove the trans again as they pinched a part of the harness between the bell housing and the block. They're a competent service shop and Art is a good guy. They made some pretty obvious mistakes. But they also took care of the issues they caused.

I was able to have them install a UUC aluminum flywheel and shifter with bushings while they were repairing that rear main. Stock suspension and motor though. Now that the warranty has just expired, a blown LS7 will be going in place of the LS6 I'm looking into Penske coil over's (if I can find some when I'm ready). No body mods though.

Cool man thanks for the heads up. That's going to be awesome when you get that LS7 in there.

SFBayV
04-23-09, 07:57 PM
Cool man thanks for the heads up. That's going to be awesome when you get that LS7 in there.

Thanks. I hope so. I was considering an LS9, but I want the most cubes that I can reliably get. So now I'm leaning towards one of the Katech Air Attack motors as opposed to starting from scratch.