: Just When I Started to Really Like the Car

jey
03-21-09, 02:39 PM
Just when I really started to like the Fleetwood, this morning a lady makes an illegal U-turn in the middle of a 5-lane road. Guess who got to run into her...

http://www.jeyping.com/crash.jpg

I managed to haul it down to probably around 5-10 mph before striking the corner of her Trailblazer. But it looks like the downside to the massive braking is that instead of the bumper taking the damage, the hood and radiator support took the blow :banghead:

caddeville89
03-21-09, 07:07 PM
Hey could be worse man. insurance will probably total it anyway. Good luck!

DopeStar 156
03-21-09, 07:58 PM
Shit dude. Well now that it's known that you're alive and uninjured we can talk about how much that shit still blows. I hope you somehow manage to find a way to fix the Fleetwood.....

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-22-09, 01:32 AM
Hey, look on the bright side. You are safe and it wasn't your fault. At least the only thing that got damaged was the hood and radiator. Both are relatively cheap and easy to come by compared to something like a fender.

jey
03-22-09, 02:15 AM
If they total it out I'm going back to get at least the wheels, tires, and struts. I JUST got those on last weekend - that's what pisses me off the most.

I'm starting to wonder if the radiator is probably fine too - it wasn't leaking from what I could tell, but the mechanical fan was making a hell of a noise so I assume the radiator got pushed back. But now that I think of it it could be just the shroud that's all bent up.

Cadillac_Fan
03-22-09, 03:02 AM
What a pisser. Glad you're ok. Just an observation, yet it appears to me the nicer the car one drives, it screams "hit me" as a magnet for the careless motorists of the world.

Hope her insurance pays and not yours; you shouldn't have to suffer with the increased premiums. And if her insurance refuses to pay-up, you might remark to them you're beginning to feel some latent head & neck pains (at which point I'd guarantee their check would be in the mail to you in less than a week.)

mjs182004
03-22-09, 10:47 AM
wow man, glad your ok. hopefully they don't total it. you got a nice looking ride.

DopeStar 156
03-22-09, 11:32 AM
Don't you have a say in them totaling it? Can't you be like, "Ok **** it gimme back my car?" This is why I never let anyone tow my car away from an accident except me......

jayoldschool
03-22-09, 01:10 PM
Hood, grille, rad and likely rad support. That got bent back, pushing the rad into the fan. Easy fix. If they total it, buy it back and fix it to keep or flip.

arivera
03-22-09, 01:46 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you're ok. I wonder how much the check will be if they total it. Sometimes you have the option to buy the car back from them. Something like that, I think. My sister in law is an ins agent.

jey
03-22-09, 08:11 PM
Don't you have a say in them totaling it? Can't you be like, "Ok **** it gimme back my car?" This is why I never let anyone tow my car away from an accident except me......

I thought about telling them to tow it back to my house but as much as I like wrenching on cars I admit that I am not a body shop either. Besides it would just make me angry to have it sit in my driveway like that. The place where it is being stored is actually across the street from where I live so I'm not concerned.

And yes, you do usually have two options if they total it. They can cut you the check for the value of the car, or they can cut you a check minus the "buyback amount" and you get to keep the car and some money.

That happened to me when they totaled out my Cavalier. They cut me a check for $1400 with a $100 buyback option. I said :lol: I'll take the $1300 and keep the car - the new tires on it were worth $300 alone.

At this point I just hope they get the ball rolling so I can get a rental car. This ordeal is going to take days, and I don't have rental coverage on my policy, but since it's her fault I should be getting a rental I think!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-22-09, 09:34 PM
What a pisser. Glad you're ok. Just an observation, yet it appears to me the nicer the car one drives, it screams "hit me" as a magnet for the careless motorists of the world.

You may have something there. I had a '95 DeVille with 57K miles, mint (not even swirl marks in the paint) with a fresh tranny rebuild and new tires that I got for $4k. Two months after getting it I got t-boned by a driver that ran a red light. It has been about 9 months since that fateful night and I still miss the car. :crying2:

96Fleetwood
03-23-09, 12:42 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about the accident. At least you are ok.

If they total it out, buy this one:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?p=2019376#post2019376

jey
03-23-09, 01:43 PM
Thanks everyone - you're right at least everyone is ok, and it's Spring Break here right now so of all the weeks to be down 1 vehicle it's not the worst situation. I'll be happy once they get the lady's story and determine liability, etc.

As much as I'd like to upgrade to LT1 powah, another Brougham is already lined up, and I'll be getting it regardless of whether or not they total this one out I think. So I'm trying to look at this all on the bright side now.

96Fleetwood
03-23-09, 02:37 PM
Nice, any details on the 'new' Brougham?

thefleetwoodguy
03-23-09, 03:41 PM
Thanks everyone - you're right at least everyone is ok, and it's Spring Break here right now so of all the weeks to be down 1 vehicle it's not the worst situation. I'll be happy once they get the lady's story and determine liability, etc.

As much as I'd like to upgrade to LT1 powah, another Brougham is already lined up, and I'll be getting it regardless of whether or not they total this one out I think. So I'm trying to look at this all on the bright side now.

if you decide to fix her, I have a real nice rad support, may have the rest of what you need as well,
looks to nice to chop up

jey
03-23-09, 03:47 PM
I feel like I'm traveling backwards in time - it's a 90-92 Brougham and my brother-in-law is pretty sure it has the L05! Don't know much else at this point other than that it has the Gold Ornamentation package and looks pretty good...

jey
03-25-09, 10:46 AM
Well I have good news and bad news. Good news is they finally accepted liability for the damages. The bad news is it's a total loss. Missouri has a "buy-back"/retention policy where you can buy the car back and they are putting that at $500. I'm thinking it makes sense to exercise that option...

jey
03-25-09, 11:41 AM
I just went down to the towing/storage place to see the damages really are - I think it's crazy to total it unless the A/C condensing unit is damaged, which I can easily see get really expensive. I took some pictures - looks like I at least would need a new hood and radiator support. I might rip the fan shroud off and run it and see if I can determine the state of the A/C/cooling system.

http://www.jeyping.com/crash1.jpg

http://www.jeyping.com/crash2.jpg

jayoldschool
03-25-09, 11:50 AM
With those pics, I will say that core support can be re-used. Take it out, and straighten it with a few blocks of wood and some careful hammer/sledge blows. It will go back to straight very easily.

Check rockauto.com for the price on the AC condenser. It is probably cheap. Maybe just loosen stuff enough to pry everything away from the fan to see if the AC still has a charge after starting the car?

jey
03-25-09, 11:54 AM
With those pics, I will say that core support can be re-used. Take it out, and straighten it with a few blocks of wood and some careful hammer/sledge blows. It will go back to straight very easily.

Check rockauto.com for the price on the AC condenser. It is probably cheap. Maybe just loosen stuff enough to pry everything away from the fan to see if the AC still has a charge after starting the car?

Good to know - I know people have banged a core support back into place on Subarus but I know our cars are probably more sturdy. I'll give it a try.

I can imagine the AC condenser being reasonable but isn't the old R12 refrigerant expensive? I'm taking my tools down there now to pry away the shroud and start it up and check out the state of the AC.

jey
03-25-09, 12:50 PM
Well it took me all of 60 seconds to unbolt the fan shroud and I was good to go. I ran the A/C for at least a half hour and it seems to be working fine...

jayoldschool
03-25-09, 03:33 PM
You've almost fixed it already! I really think it will be easy to pound that core support back straight (enough). Start looking for a hood and a grille (and a core support in case it is cheap).

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-25-09, 05:08 PM
It is definitely worth buying back and fixing it up. The most expensive part will be getting the new hood painted to match the rest of the car and you are good to go.

jey
03-26-09, 01:55 PM
It is definitely worth buying back and fixing it up. The most expensive part will be getting the new hood painted to match the rest of the car and you are good to go.

No kidding. I just had the body shop call around and there are no recycled hoods available anywhere. Brand new it is $1835.77 for an unpainted hood, $493.96 for the grille! No wonder they totalled it out.

The car drives just fine with no hood, I just drove it all over town today, so it works as transportation. So I'm definitely buying it back - and waiting/looking for a recycled hood to show up somewhere.

75sled
03-26-09, 02:15 PM
go to www.pullapart.com they have about 4 1993 models in different yards. You may find one that will work for you. They sell the hood for about $25 and the grill is about the same. You may have to call them because they don't have pics available, but I am sure they would work with you. Good luck. I am on my way to pic my new 1995 FWB Saturday and I can hardly wait. I can't imagine having to give it up for such minor details.

jey
03-26-09, 02:45 PM
Wow that's nice that pullapart has an online inventory. The Pick & Pull here does not, so you just have to go down there and look every now and then. Even then, I find that many of the cars have had some sort of front end damage that would prevent me from actually using the hood. You're right, I may have to be willing to travel a little bit.

Cadillacboy
03-26-09, 05:37 PM
Sorry to hear about that nasty incident at least you were ok which is nice