: Suspension Parts

Klei14
03-21-09, 01:25 PM
The ride on my 06 (almost 90k miles), is nothing like the ride in our 09 (little over 35k miles). My 06 just does not drive great anymore, the car is very bumpy/bouncy over the road. It really drives like crap when you compare the two, even the steering is not that great anymore.

I wanted to know what I should replace on the suspension to get a better ride again, springs? struts? what else? Also is there an aftermarket company that makes better than OEM parts for the SRX. If I can get a better ride with aftermarket part I will go with them, because I'm sure the OEM parts will cost a TON to replace.

I'm not in a big rush to do this, but I would like to get it done sometime over the summer.

Tom

joejbryant
03-21-09, 02:10 PM
If it has a air ride compressor, it maybe bad. I hear/read the same problems on every site concerning the cadillac brand, we could almost predict when to change parts on them just by reading all of the blogs every where, I'm having or have had the SAME problems every one has had, it's a shame to know that your vehicle is not worth more than 100,000 miles. They fixed the engines to last but the other parts are just junk.

Klei14
03-21-09, 05:05 PM
If it has a air ride compressor, it maybe bad. I hear/read the same problems on every site concerning the cadillac brand, we could almost predict when to change parts on them just by reading all of the blogs every where, I'm having or have had the SAME problems every one has had, it's a shame to know that your vehicle is not worth more than 100,000 miles. They fixed the engines to last but the other parts are just junk.
I don't think my car has the air ride suspension, or atleast I hope it does not have it. I would like to get it changed before the car hits 100k miles because I think by then the ride will be horriable.

Northern SRX
03-22-09, 08:42 AM
I thought that all SRXs had an automatic load leveller?

Jake's SRX
03-22-09, 04:44 PM
I support that if it ain't working for you the way it is fix it. if that means after market struts/shocks do it. If you plan on selling after wards that may or may not not factor into things for you. The dealer just had to replace the 2 rear shocks and these are quite pricey, ( I was told $600 each but I never saw a bill) so after market could be a bit easier on the pocket book. So here is where my question on this comes in, I do have Mag Ride(F55 on build sheet), but also has Sport Suspension (FE3), but see nothing on Load Level or Air Ride. I continually hear a rear compressor running but my wife or I don't notice the back changing level. I had Load Level on a past vehicle and felt the shocks raise the back. So does the compressor come with FE3 or Mag Ride?

Klei14
03-22-09, 08:50 PM
I know what an air ride system sounds like, I had it on my navigator. I have not heard any of the air compressor noise on my SRX, so I'm guessing it does not have it. Mabe it only comes with the V8's?

I'm having trouble finding any aftermarket suspension parts for this car, anyone have ideas?

TTopJohn
03-23-09, 01:37 PM
From what I can tell, every SRX came with a self leveling rear suspension. If you have Magnetic Ride (which carries both the FE3 and the F55 RPO codes) you get an air compressor based self leveling setup, and if you have the standard suspension, you get a Sachs Nivomat self leveling system that does not use an air compressor.

I believe the air compressor is located in the left side of the cargo area, which would explain the absence of a left side storage bin on my F55/FE3 SRX.

If the ride has gotten rough, shocks are the most likely suspect. Bushings can wear as well, but they tend to cause clunks, shimmys and rattles rather than a rough ride. I haven't learned the SRX's suspension well enough to tell you what kind of bump stops/jounce bumpers are used, but on many cars they can cause a rough ride when they deteriorate.

n7don_srx
03-23-09, 09:53 PM
This reference was recently posted concerning self-leveling suspension.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/nivomat.html

Klei14
03-23-09, 10:34 PM
Reading this thread is making me think this will not be a cheap fix, I would really like to get something aftermarket if the Cadillac parts are going to cost an arm and a leg.

conedoctor
03-24-09, 06:34 PM
I would just fix it right.

From what I remember you need the self level for the HID lights.

TTopJohn
03-24-09, 07:09 PM
No reason it has to be expensive - shocks/struts don't cost that much so long as you do not have magnetic ride (you haven't indicated whether you do or not).

The steering thing could be as simple as an alignment, which you will need after you pull the front suspension apart to replace the struts anyway. That or something like tie rod ends.

The fact that the ride got bad after 90K miles is not a good reason to go aftermarket instead of OE - 90K miles is well beyond the expected lifetime for any shock absorber.

King3244
03-26-09, 03:28 PM
www.rockauto.com best prices (usually) compared to anyone else. Ship to your door.

n7don_srx
03-26-09, 05:57 PM
www.rockauto.com best prices (usually) compared to anyone else. Ship to your door.

Agree.. in fact I've got a 5% discount code good until sometime next month. Don't recall exact date.

VV_srx
12-06-09, 02:17 PM
Ive seen a company called KYB shocks, apparently they make the OEM shock for GM???

except on gm parts direct its $500, and KYB sells it for about $134 CND.
???

check out, (google)
autopartsway

and check out the KYB site, click on the online catalogue