: Drivin' a V ain't cheap!

creedogg
03-21-09, 02:22 PM
I'm geting soaked $860 for all four pads and front rotors new. It makes me sick to my stomach, but I simply don't have the equipment to do it myself. I got 35,000 miles from mostly in- town driving, the front pads are shredded and front rotors have a helluva lip on them. Back rotors are ok, but put pads on 'cause they would be needed soon anyways. But on the upside, I'm driving a V and that's priceless.

ccextra1976
03-21-09, 02:25 PM
I'm geting soaked $860 for all four pads and front rotors new. It makes me sick to my stomach, but I simply don't have the equipment to do it myself. I got 35,000 miles from mostly in- town driving, the front pads are shredded and front rotors have a helluva lip on them. Back rotors are ok, but put pads on 'cause they would be needed soon anyways. But on the upside, I'm driving a V and that's priceless.

seriously? for that money you can buy a floor jack and tools required to do the job yourself...and then you own them for next time!!! plus you can get HPS+ pads

MauiV
03-21-09, 02:28 PM
My rotors did the same thing, I replaced with GM Performance cross drilled and Hawk pads all the way around. The V has possibly the easiest pads EVER to change yourself. The rotors are not a big deal either. Me and a buddy put mine on 4 jackstands and knocked all 4 out in about an hour.

creedogg
03-21-09, 02:34 PM
My rotors did the same thing, I replaced with GM Performance cross drilled and Hawk pads all the way around. The V has possibly the easiest pads EVER to change yourself. The rotors are not a big deal either. Me and a buddy put mine on 4 jackstands and knocked all 4 out in about an hour.
How are them cross drilled treatin' you?

ctsv154
03-21-09, 02:41 PM
With only 35k in town miles. That means not to many slow downs from 160+ like I have on mine:shhh: you should have been fine with just new pads and a proper bed in. My stock rotors lasted to at least 50k and I drive entirely to fast. They wouldn't turn them so I bought 2 new front knuckles off ebay for 300. That included new rotors, new wheel bearings, new pads, new calipers! I only used the rotors and pads, everything else is for just in case now.

Just because the rotors have a slight lip doesn't mean they are junk. I'm sure they had at least another pad change in em.

814V
03-21-09, 03:36 PM
seriously? for that money you can buy a floor jack and tools required to do the job yourself...and then you own them for next time!!! plus you can get HPS+ pads

+1 on this!

MauiV
03-21-09, 04:37 PM
I havent tracked my car so the cross drilled are mainly just for the look. And I like the way they look.

Cowan480
03-21-09, 04:42 PM
Looks like someone needs to help you find some better pricing.. I know they're not cheat but it can be cheaper than the quote above!!

fstshrk
03-21-09, 06:15 PM
Get a brake disc thickness gauge and measure. Having a lip does not mean you need new discs. You don't even need to turn the discs unless you have pulsing when you brake. Just get new pads and bed them in accordingly, assuming that the rotors are over the min thickness which is usually stamped on the disc.

On the fixed piston, brembo calipers, a pad change should take about 20 mins per axle, just make sure you push all four pistons in at about the same time.

nmaier2201
03-21-09, 07:20 PM
Yeah our brakes are super easy to change, +1 on buying a jack and some stands. The 1st time I did mine I pulled the whole rotor off and was "what the #)(*$#" then the light dawned..... "you mean I can just pull em out the top" NO FRIGGIN WAY. I have owned plenty of cars, but none with as easy to change brakes as the V..

You can do it man! or for 800 bucks I'll do it for you with Hawk pads :)

creedogg
03-21-09, 07:25 PM
I appreciate all the comments, but the front rotors & pads were gone and I just assumed 2 get the rears done @ the same time. I got all Brembo components again. Bottom line... I'm happy about what I got put on, I just feel that everywhere in Vegas is a rip off! I've gone thru 2 sets of run flats w/ no cost out of pocket & I know I got screwed for a few hundred on the brake job 2day. I'm a firm believer in factory parts. The only thing I'll shell out more dough 4 is the anti- wheel hop. Any suggestions on that?

creedogg
03-21-09, 07:31 PM
...I've dumped 2 rear ends so far, but as you all know, warranty covered both. I want 2 be able 2 lay it down w/o having 2 call roadside after it dumps again!

ccextra1976
03-21-09, 08:15 PM
...I've dumped 2 rear ends so far, but as you all know, warranty covered both. I want 2 be able 2 lay it down w/o having 2 call roadside after it dumps again!

I'm going to try the combo...bags and $17 washers...everyone that has done each seperate has said good things...so combined it should be a 90% solution I hope....bags orderd today.........

MauiV
03-21-09, 08:34 PM
I'm going to try the combo...bags and $17 washers...everyone that has done each seperate has said good things...so combined it should be a 90% solution I hope....bags orderd today.........

This has my interest very very peaked.

Gonna need lots O' picks and results

ccextra1976
03-21-09, 08:39 PM
This has my interest very very peaked.

Gonna need lots O' picks and results

:thumbsup:

creedogg
03-21-09, 09:12 PM
Thanks brother, I can't stand the wheel hop! When I dumped the 2nd one, they finally told me that was a recalled part... The thing is, GM never has done anything to fix it until you drop one. TYPICAL!!!

rand49er
03-21-09, 09:46 PM
Yeah our brakes are super easy to change, +1 on buying a jack and some stands. The 1st time I did mine I pulled the whole rotor off and was "what the #)(*$#" then the light dawned..... "you mean I can just pull em out the top" NO FRIGGIN WAY. I have owned plenty of cars, but none with as easy to change brakes as the V..

You can do it man! or for 800 bucks I'll do it for you with Hawk pads :)I was flabbergasted, 2. Way 2 easy. 2day's brakes are 2errific!

thebigjimsho
03-21-09, 11:07 PM
I appreciate all the comments, but the front rotors & pads were gone and I just assumed 2 get the rears done @ the same time. I got all Brembo components again. Bottom line... I'm happy about what I got put on, I just feel that everywhere in Vegas is a rip off! I've gone thru 2 sets of run flats w/ no cost out of pocket & I know I got screwed for a few hundred on the brake job 2day. I'm a firm believer in factory parts. The only thing I'll shell out more dough 4 is the anti- wheel hop. Any suggestions on that?You should change your title to Drivin' MY V ain't cheap!

I was so happy that the V was so complete and that I didn't need to change much to be happy. I had spent so much on my SHO and was watching all this new high hp come out. The V has cost me little in mods and repairs.

Now, for the brakes. You got hosed. IF...IF you needed new rotors, Luke sells them as cheap as you can get for stock. Labor on rotors and pads should be for 1 hour, tops. As for rear rotors, you didn't need that. Unless a caliper in back froze and wore down a pad to the metal and gouged a rotor, you didn't need replacements. The rears do so little of the braking, they won't need replacing for well over 100,000 miles.

I've got almost 60k miles of hard driving, auto-X and road racing on my V. 50k on front rotors before changing. The rears are fine for a long time.

smokisnshellz
03-22-09, 01:09 AM
Yeah you gotta do your own work i had taken the V in for some routine work, and they told me i needed all 4 rotors turned out i needed front 2 only. Then the whole rotorworks fiasco.:banghead:But anyway why that kinda charge for brake job is nuts bite the bullett and buy the tools you need or befriend a mechanic.:yup:

ctsv154
03-22-09, 10:44 AM
You have to remember too that these guys see we drive a nice caddy and think oh they have plenty of money! I've already had it happen to me with the wrecker driver when I broke a rod out of town. They will charge you out the ass just because they know you'll pay it.

Civardi
03-22-09, 11:19 AM
You have to remember too that these guys see we drive a nice caddy and think oh they have plenty of money! I've already had it happen to me with the wrecker driver when I broke a rod out of town. They will charge you out the ass just because they know you'll pay it.

The audio shop where my buddy works calls it "a variable a $$ hole tax". Basically levels of tax on how you act and your knowledge of what you are doing. The highest taxed are the BMW owners. :histeric:

thebigjimsho
03-22-09, 07:20 PM
not funny.

smashn808
03-23-09, 04:31 PM

This is almost identical to the quote my dealer gave me when i took the V in to have my radiator replaced under warranty. I have the same mileage as you too(36k). I just replaced the front pads with Hawk HPS from Luke for around $120, with a proper bedding, i was good to go. Some dealers will take the shirt off your back if you let them.