: My Northstar topped out at ONLY 107 mph???? Suggestions needed please.

DTS_BOI
03-21-09, 01:38 AM
My previous DTS would run hard all the way up to 130 mph before hitting the speed limiter.

Well, on a secluded highway section in Mexico (cough, cough) I stomped on my new V-8 STS and once I hit 107, it cut out and the LCD display read "Top speed reached". I am very very very very very very very pissed. 107 is much too slow for this car. Hell, it was barely even coasting at only 107. There are tons more power left in my car. HOW CAN I REMOVE THIS LIMITER? Is there any tuner support for Northstar speed limiter removal? Im not looking for any racing tune or anything. I would love to keep all the factory tuning the same, and simply remove the speed limiter.

What should I do or where should I look?

P.S. I read somewhere on here the if I turn off the traction control, the car will keep going past 107. Is this true?

Benjamin Simon
03-21-09, 04:04 AM
My previous DTS would run hard all the way up to 130 mph before hitting the speed limiter.

Well, on a secluded highway section in Mexico (cough, cough) I stomped on my new V-8 STS and once I hit 107, it cut out and the LCD display read "Top speed reached". I am very very very very very very very pissed. 107 is much too slow for this car. Hell, it was barely even coasting at only 107. There are tons more power left in my car. HOW CAN I REMOVE THIS LIMITER? Is there any tuner support for Northstar speed limiter removal? Im not looking for any racing tune or anything. I would love to keep all the factory tuning the same, and simply remove the speed limiter.

P.S. I read somewhere on here the if I turn off the traction control, the car will keep going past 107. Is this true?

I do not have an answer to your question. My STS does not have a speed limiter.
However, my question is where are you driving??

c5 rv
03-21-09, 08:13 AM
Do a search for posts by SuperJim in the DTS forum. He had his 06 DTS Performance tuned and raised the speed limiter:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-dts-forum-2006-through-2011/160748-2009-dts-top-speed.html

Also, contact Butch Brochu, the U.S. distributer for Wester's custom tunes to see if he has one for the STS Northstar:

http://www.westersales.com/

Superjim
03-21-09, 09:36 AM

Well, on a secluded highway section in Mexico (cough, cough) I stomped on my new V-8 STS and once I hit 107, it cut out and the LCD display read "Top speed reached". I am very very very very very very very pissed. 107 is much too slow for this car.

HOW CAN I REMOVE THIS LIMITER?
Is there any tuner support for Northstar speed limiter removal? Im not looking for any racing tune or anything. I would love to keep all the factory tuning the same, and simply remove the speed limiter.

What year is your STS?
I had my DTS tuned in person by Justin @ http://www.blackbearperformance.com/
I would say to contact him and see what he may be able to do for you.
Tell him the guy in Fort Worth with the Cadillac told you to call. :)

My first DTS would hit the speed limiter at 130 which was kinda OK. :)
My second DTS would hit it at 123 which sucked. :confused:

Now, since I had it tuned, I love it.
It runs better, shifts better, is more fun to drive..etc..etc.
When I first had it tuned, he set the speed limiter to 150. :)
But about three months later, I had a chance to GET ON IT and ran it up to 143 real easy. :)

It was still pulling pretty hard at 143 and if I ever got a chance to see what it REALLY CAN DO...I didn't want to hit the darn limiter again at 150. :tisk:

So... the next time I saw Justin, I had him raise it to 180, just for the heck of it. :) :)

I will probably never get a chance to really top it out, but if I do...at least now I know I won't be limited by what some idiot gov bureaucrat says I am allowed to do. :)
I will be limited only by HP and aerodynamics. :) :) :)

I am thinking of buying the complete software package to put on my laptop so I can tweak it a little more whenever it needs it but the software is kinda pricey.

Thinking of playing with an ECONOMY TUNE for road trips even tho it does get better mileage now that it is tuned. :)

Texas Jim

c5 rv
03-21-09, 10:04 AM
... I will be limited only by HP, aerodynamics, and that puckering feeling in my butt. ...

Fixed it for you.

Submariner409
03-21-09, 10:18 AM
Don't forget the tire speed ratings. On the door sticker. If you have S tires (112 mph rated) or T tires (118 mph) and get to 135 - 140 and a tire comes apart, you are very dead.

Superjim
03-21-09, 10:32 AM
Fixed it for you.

Agreed...that puckering feeling will tend to slow you down some.

Superjim
03-21-09, 10:35 AM
Don't forget the tire speed ratings. On the door sticker. If you have S tires (112 mph rated) or T tires (118 mph) and get to 135 - 140 and a tire comes apart, you are very dead.

It has "H" rated tires...good for 130 mph sustained driving.
I would thing that the built in safety factor, should be good for just a few seconds above the 130 rating.

When they get replaced, I will probably go with "Z" rated tires if I can find some I like.

Texas Jim

hugo
03-23-09, 10:32 AM
Just out of nosieness, I have a 2008 STS DI AWD. Has anyone opened one of these up?

lreddiablo
03-23-09, 04:26 PM
hey Jim, I c that you are in Texas and black bear is in Nor Cal, at least 530 area code is. Did you have this done in person and where? And how much did it end up costing you? If you did it yourself by mail can you explain what you ended up having to do. I am in southern california so I could take a drive up north I guess if neccessary to get the best tune on my '05 STS4 V8.

Superjim
03-23-09, 08:18 PM
hey Jim, I c that you are in Texas and black bear is in Nor Cal, at least 530 area code is. Did you have this done in person and where? And how much did it end up costing you? If you did it yourself by mail can you explain what you ended up having to do. I am in southern california so I could take a drive up north I guess if neccessary to get the best tune on my '05 STS4 V8.

Yep..I am in Texas.
Blackbear is in Northern Virginia...not Northern California.

I had it done in person, by Justin, here in Ft. Worth.
He was in town for three days, to tune about 30 Chevy and GMC pickups. :)

Contact him about a LOGGED TUNE.
He sends a data logger for your car...then you send it back to him and tell him what you want done. he then programs the ECM and TCM.

I just noticed you have a 2005...contact him and see if he can do a 2005.
On the DTS he only does 2006 and newer...something to do with the encryption of the ECM on the DTS.

Texas Jim

cnotesonly
03-24-09, 08:08 PM

I guess you already know that you bought a rental car. I drove a 2008 rental from the dealer and it topped out at 107mph...I am sorry for your loss! Here is a thought, take it back to the dealer and tell them to remove the governor. That car should do 142.5 off the show room floor. That is what you were expecting, right?

Superjim
03-24-09, 09:47 PM
I guess you already know that you bought a rental car. I drove a 2008 rental from the dealer and it topped out at 107mph...I am sorry for your loss! Here is a thought, take it back to the dealer and tell them to remove the governor. That car should do 142.5 off the show room floor. That is what you were expecting, right?

Dealer WILL NOT remove the governor... No way..no how.

If they did that and you had a high speed accident, your heirs would OWN that dealership.

His car is not necessarily a rental.
I have drove several from Enterprise that would do 112 mph.
Had a CTS rental a while back...I quit at 125...it was still pulling.
Had a DTS from Avis that would also do 112.

I would explore the possibility that the ECM is mis-programmed.

Texas Jim

c5 rv
03-24-09, 10:00 PM
... I have drove several from Enterprise that would do 112 mph.

I sense a pattern here. I know! You're the guy on Top Gear who's always in a racing suit and full face helmet.

Superjim
03-24-09, 10:11 PM
I sense a pattern here. I know! You're the guy on Top Gear who's always in a racing suit and full face helmet.

Hmmm...need to watch that a time or two.
May be my evil twin brother. :D :D

But seriously ...out here in Texas...once you get away from town...especially if you are heading west on I-20...a lot of the time regular traffic is running around 85.. sometimes a little more. Part of the interstates speed limits are 75mph but nobody pays any attention to them.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to run up to 100/110 or so every once in a while. You ain't going THAT much faster than everybody else. :cloud9:

Texas Jim

mapmaker
03-25-09, 08:14 AM
I need to move to Texas.

lreddiablo
03-25-09, 01:50 PM
Texas? I drove through Texas on I-20 and noticed everyone was doing the speedlimit, shoulda taken a hint, a cop got me coming from the opposite direction, when I saw him pull in the grass I knew he got me. This was outside Midland, maybe something to do with Bushy! but maybe cops are all over in that area but not so much outside ft worth. Anyway the 107 is the standard governer for most GM vehicles, had an Olds and a grand prix, both 107. Havent tested my STS really except for that it goes more than 107. Eventually I may find out!

cnotesonly
03-25-09, 03:31 PM
Dealer WILL NOT remove the governor... No way..no how.

If they did that and you had a high speed accident, your heirs would OWN that dealership.

His car is not necessarily a rental.
I have drove several from Enterprise that would do 112 mph.

I would explore the possibility that the ECM is mis-programmed.

Texas Jim
You misunderstood my post. My STS is at the dealer and the dealer has special rental cars for Gold Customers. The Dealer governs the speed for liability reasons unlike a car rental company where you the driver are responsible for the consequences. A rental car company only carries the liability if you buy their insurance. You are kind of camparing apples to oranges here. In any case, why not let him try? The worst that can happen is they say no. If you buy one off the showroom floor untampered, it will surely hit top speed. This gentleman has been governed against his will and has the right to enjoy, kill, mame, or mutilate himself on a US highway...ha! Just don't hit me!

WillySTS
03-26-09, 03:09 PM
Hmmm...need to watch that a time or two.
May be my evil twin brother. :D :D

But seriously ...out here in Texas...once you get away from town...especially if you are heading west on I-20...a lot of the time regular traffic is running around 85.. sometimes a little more. Part of the interstates speed limits are 75mph but nobody pays any attention to them.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to run up to 100/110 or so every once in a while. You ain't going THAT much faster than everybody else. :cloud9:

Texas Jim

Hmmm...maybe thats what my problem is...I was born in Texas...could be why I have NO TROUBLE exceeding 100-120, even the wife does from time to time.

Superjim
03-26-09, 07:57 PM
Hmmm...maybe thats what my problem is...I was born in Texas...could be why I have NO TROUBLE exceeding 100-120, even the wife does from time to time.

Yep...that could be your problem. :)

I have noticed over the years, that speeds tend to go up as you travel from the NE area of the US to the SW area of the US. Seems like the fastest drivers are in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and the freeways EAST of the coastal cities of California.

That has been my observations anyway. :) :stirpot:

I hate going to the east coast.
Everybody is usually just poking along at 60 or 65.
It takes FOREVER to get anywhere... :)...or you risk getting tickets. :)

Texas Jim

lreddiablo
03-27-09, 04:23 PM
ya, speed limits are typically 75 the further west, and 65 in the east, but only 70 in the CA desert. One note, everyone is slow and stupid in LA, but in San Diego people tend to be smarter, and may actually get out of your way if they r slow in the left lane. Also I can often be in the flow of traffic in SD 80-90mph. Hard for that to happen in LA with all the people who think they must drive in the left no matter how slow they r going. Not to sound racist or anything but with immigration now spreading around the country I noticed on a recent cross-country drive typically if I saw some slow dumbass cruising in the left lane who would not yield they were typically Mexican. Makes sense cuz even though SD is closer to the border, a lot more Mexicans in LA. Weird though that this is the case because I know they have yield laws in Mexico, drive down the toll-road and there are signs in Spanish telling slow drivers to move right, but then again, mostly see US plates on those roads.

WillySTS
03-27-09, 06:55 PM
My track experience trains me to get close enough to let them know I want to get around, then just go around them...I don't have time to train them.

lreddiablo
03-27-09, 07:38 PM
I go around them as soon as I can of course, ya people who just stay on your ass when they can go around are annoying too. It's just annoying if anyone is just cruising in the left, sometimes they may be holding up the lane when there isnt an opening to get around. Left lane is for passing only and thats all I use it then I get over (however I pass often!)

EChas3
03-27-09, 08:17 PM
ya, speed limits are typically 75 the further west, and 65 in the east, but only 70 in the CA desert. One note, everyone is slow and stupid in LA, but in San Diego people tend to be smarter, and may actually get out of your way if they r slow in the left lane. Also I can often be in the flow of traffic in SD 80-90mph. Hard for that to happen in LA with all the people who think they must drive in the left no matter how slow they r going. Not to sound racist or anything but with immigration now spreading around the country I noticed on a recent cross-country drive typically if I saw some slow dumbass cruising in the left lane who would not yield they were typically Mexican. Makes sense cuz even though SD is closer to the border, a lot more Mexicans in LA. Weird though that this is the case because I know they have yield laws in Mexico, drive down the toll-road and there are signs in Spanish telling slow drivers to move right, but then again, mostly see US plates on those roads.

Wisconsin plates! This state has as bad road manners as I've ever seen.:crybaby:

Boy, do I love ACC!:thumbsup:

amgqmp1
03-30-09, 10:30 PM
You guys would love driving here in Iowa...I pass people like they're standing still when I'm going 60.

So, what is the governor on the STS? I recall my old '94 SLS (N*) topped out just north of 110...it offered a brief lecture too...something about excessive speed... ;)

DTS_BOI
03-31-09, 11:41 AM
Well, I went back to the deserted highway in Mexico..... Turned off the traction control and the car hit 120. It runs like a bat out of hell, and really 110-120 is no problem for this car. It is barely breaking a sweat. I killed at Chrysler 300C the other day on the freeway, but the car hit a brick wall at 120 and shut down. 120 is better than 107..... I guess.

I still want that damn limiter removed. Im looking into how to get it removed, but I guess it isn't my top priority. I SERIOUSLY HATE IT THOUGH!!!!

Btw - My moms 2007 V-6 SRX can hit 130. It gets there slooowly, but it will get there.

WillySTS
03-31-09, 11:51 AM
I still want that damn limiter removed. Im looking into how to get it removed, but I guess it isn't my top priority. I SERIOUSLY HATE IT THOUGH!!!!

Jesse at Wait-4-me Performance can take care of that and he is reasonably priced. He is somewhere on this board.

Superjim
03-31-09, 08:27 PM

Have you contacted Justin at BlackBear Performance?
He is the one who did the tune on mine.
I really like it.
Torque management removed.
Timing and fuel tables adjusted.
Transmission Line pressure increased.
RPM limit raised.
Shift points raised and firmed up.
Speed Limiter raised to 180.
And a bunch of other stuff.

Texas Jim

DTS_BOI
04-02-09, 12:33 PM
Jesse at Wait-4-me Performance can take care of that and he is reasonably priced. He is somewhere on this board.

Have you contacted Justin at BlackBear Performance?
He is the one who did the tune on mine.
I really like it.
Torque management removed.
Timing and fuel tables adjusted.
Transmission Line pressure increased.
RPM limit raised.
Shift points raised and firmed up.
Speed Limiter raised to 180.
And a bunch of other stuff.

Texas Jim

Thank you both for your responses. Can you please give me contact information for Jesse at "Wait-4-me Performance" and Justin at "Blackbear" Performance? I really really really want to talk to these gentlemen!

Texas Jim, those other improvements sounds terriffic, but I would probably just go for the limiter removed. Although, a little less torque management would be GREAT! hahaha

Superjim
04-02-09, 11:39 PM
Can you please give me contact information for Justin at "Blackbear" Performance? I really really really want to talk to these gentlemen!

Texas Jim, those other improvements sounds terriffic, but I would probably just go for the limiter removed. Although, a little less torque management would be GREAT! hahaha

A "LOT LESS" torque management is even better. :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

You can e-mail Justin at justin@blackbearperformance.com

Texas Jim

bigTYME
04-05-09, 11:42 PM
Just out of nosieness, I have a 2008 STS DI AWD. Has anyone opened one of these up?

I have an 08 STS DI RWD, gotten it to 119 until the limiter kicked in. I was kind of shocked. Thought I would get more out of it. I only have the Lux package too, no Sport package. I wonder if the lux/sport package has a different limit.

WillySTS
04-06-09, 12:05 PM
I have an 08 STS DI RWD, gotten it to 119 until the limiter kicked in. I was kind of shocked. Thought I would get more out of it. I only have the Lux package too, no Sport package. I wonder if the lux/sport package has a different limit.

Tire speed ratings tell the story...S = 118, H = 130, V,W,Y,Z = 155:tisk:

ifmracin
04-06-09, 12:20 PM
Not sure what mine will do, i ran it up to 118 the other day just out of curiosity. It was still going, but I figured that was enough for me.

mbnv992
04-06-09, 03:20 PM
My 2007 STS4 V8 went until about 108 as well, then the car had NO more power. I also had the Traction Control on as well, so if I shut that off it "should" go a bit faster. Not that I hardly ever take it past 80 anyway, just a curiosity thing. This car would definitely bury the speedometer.

ifmracin
04-07-09, 12:11 PM
Ahh, good reminder, mine was with the TC still on.

WillySTS
04-07-09, 08:05 PM
Ahh, good reminder, mine was with the TC still on.

I haven't found that that makes a difference...my last Seville STS - 144 with the t/c on, my V 145 with t/c on, my Firehawk(when I had it)- over 150 with t/c on and so on...:cool2:

DTS_BOI
04-08-09, 10:24 AM
Oddly, I almost hit 120 with the T/C off. I liked that much better than just 107... When I get it removed, I will let everyone know how it goes...

aintmisbehavinn
04-22-09, 08:04 PM
Ok, I got the story on the speed limiter. I had mine removed today and now this STS will do 100K kicks like the rest. Apparently for those that are limited, many 07's and up are limited. The computer tells the air blade in the throttle body to close, choking off the motor at 110. For those of you getting more, some said 120, the blade actually doesn't close completely until 120. Vengenance Racing removed mine. Since they have tuned my GOAT they didn't charge me anything. They called it a "code delete". We took it out on a long stretch of road without any other cars and punched a 100K. Let me tell you, the 4.6 jumped on 130 like lightning. I feel much better knowing the Benz, Bleamer, or Lucxus is going to have a much more difficult time leaving me on the open road. This sedan didn't even begin to break a sweat at 4K, it never shifted into 6th but what a difference on the top side. I'll never understand why the hell a 50K car would be regulated like this. I bought mine from the manufacture with 9K so the whole deal about rentals and so forth not sure if it holds water. I guess the V and Sport may or may not be limited, mine feels like the sport now....do it if you can.

cnotesonly
04-22-09, 08:53 PM
Well. i assumed that the dealer had put the limiter on the 2008 STS loaner car. I had no other explanation as to why my 2005 STS wanted to keep going at 135 and the 2008 STS farted at 107. i didn't have the cajonies to ask the service advisor why i couldn't do 108 in the loaner. ha! I have heard two versions of max speed on the 4.6L, 142.5 and 155, can anyone confirm one or the other? i wet myself a little at 135 and had to let off.
Also, just found out the my left front strut needs replacing (still under warranty), should i fork out the money to replace the right front as well?

rb92gt
04-23-09, 12:17 AM
The answer is simple... speed limiter based on ORIGINAL tire speed ratings, and no, just by changing to a higher speed rated tire you will not eliminate the speed limiter without telling the computer this changed. Example, S rated tire only safe to 112, therefore speed limited to about 107-108 on a car ORIGINALLY equipped with S rated tires. Look on the door sticker to see which tires your car came with. Cadillac did not put speed limiters on to be jerks, they did it so you do not die from having a tire explode because you went faster than the tires were rated for. If a tire blows at >100mph, you will have serious trouble... hopefully you live.

firehawk583
04-23-09, 10:43 AM
My '08 STS has the same limiter. I assumed it might be due to the 17" wheels with standard tires. They aren't speed rated, so maybe that's why the slow limit. I would like to have that removed, too. My other car is limited at 160. That's a little better.

rb92gt
04-23-09, 07:03 PM
From TireRack.com:
Beginning in 1991, the speed symbol denoting a fixed maximum speed capability of new tires must be shown only in the speed rating portion of the tire's service description, such as 225/50R16 89S. The most common tire speed rating symbols, maximum speeds and typical applications are shown below:
M 81 mph 130 km/h
N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires
P 93 mph 150 km/h
Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires
S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans
U 124 mph 200 km/h
H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes
V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified. That ultimately caused the automotive industry to add W- and Y-speed ratings to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high top-speed capabilities.
W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

aintmisbehavinn
04-23-09, 08:07 PM
I have original factory 17's with original factory V rated tires, I don't think tires has anything to do with it. I agree about the speed rating of the tires but this is not the case with mine. We need more people with 06-08's to step up, the car is governed from the factory regardless of what tire is on it. :thepan:

aintmisbehavinn
04-23-09, 09:00 PM
I have original factory 17's with original factory V rated tires, I don't think tires has anything to do with it. I agree about the speed rating of the tires but this is not the case with mine. We need more people with 06-08's to step up, the car is governed from the factory regardless of what tire is on it. :thepan:

I stand corrected, you must be right, I thought I had V rated tires but closer look I have cont tires, m+s and you are right S RATED. Sorry, but now I remember the V's are on the Goat. I guess I'm going to buy V rated next time, the hell with S.

cnotesonly
04-24-09, 02:21 PM
I don't want to put anyone down for having an 06-08 STS but the 05 is built the best, hands down. My 05 has the SG1 package, staggard tires and the quality of the feel of the car compares to no other STS that i have driven, inside or out. The only thing I might like to have is the 6-speed tranny, but that too is a coin flip decision. IMHO

z06bigbird
04-24-09, 03:46 PM
You asked for advice:

1. Find a race track.
2. Pay up your liability insurance.
3. Decide if you will go to funerals of those you would/could kill.
4. Hope you go to a federal prison rather than to a state prison, although I hear the male inmates are very very friendly in both systems.

Time for flaming me.

rb92gt
04-24-09, 10:53 PM
Oh boy, here comes this guy with a Z06 complaining about driving fast again. :bouncy:
Just kidding... you are right. Lots of us are speed addicted boys. I swear I would like to quit, just not ready.

DTS_BOI
04-27-09, 11:30 AM
Does anyone know if there is a place near the Metro Detroit Michigan area that can tune my STS? Is it possible to get a plug and play system or do I have to actually take my car somewhere? All I would want is the speed limiter removed...

cnotesonly
04-28-09, 05:01 PM
I think there is a patch for that speed addiction.

aintmisbehavinn
04-30-09, 10:02 AM
It is a simple code delete. Find someone with HP tuning software or go to Cadillac and throw a Ben Franklin at the garage. (Make sure you have at least V rated tires or somebody will be scrapping you up off the interstate.)

aintmisbehavinn
04-30-09, 10:08 AM
If I had a ZO6, I don't think I'd be talking about prisons. Unless you drive like a little old lady, why do you bash removing the limiter? Are you dreaming of a Z06 or do you actually own one? You can find plenty GEO's out there with a limiter of 50mph. Maybe a name change to YUGO Z2 would be better. Limiting a Caddy to 110 is Government BS. I'm not going to get my doors blown by a rice burner, semi truck or Bleamer. If you don't like 100 mph kicks then drive a hybrid or Obamamobile. Let the guy remove the limiter without cornholing an anal prison inmate. Nobody likes to be limited in passing a semi doing 85 mph. But I'm not going to limit my ability to get by. Not everyone lives in pig territory, and many of us could care less about the speed limit.

aintmisbehavinn
04-30-09, 10:16 AM
You asked for advice:

1. Find a race track.
2. Pay up your liability insurance.
3. Decide if you will go to funerals of those you would/could kill.
4. Hope you go to a federal prison rather than to a state prison, although I hear the male inmates are very very friendly in both systems.

Time for flaming me.

1. Come to 285 in Atlanta, GEO's pass you doing 100.
2. I have too much insurance, my family would be rich.
3. Slow down here and they will kill you.
4. Wishing corn hole on anybody is downright stupid. Slow down, maybe you will get carjacked.

cnotesonly
04-30-09, 08:05 PM
Z06 could be speaking from experience. I haven't heard anything about State Vs Federal prison.

cadillacmike68
11-17-11, 02:22 AM
I just bought an 2009 NorthStar STS (RWD) with performance, premium and platinum packages. I think it originally had Z rated tires. I'll check the doors when i get home. My wife also has a 2008 CTS premium package (AWD). I'm pretty sure hers had Zs on it as well. I'd like to know if there are reputable businesses that can tune these cars in Florida, or if the dealers will do it. Thanks.

dkozloski
11-17-11, 11:23 AM
When the cops pull you over, tell them that 80 is the new 65.

N0DIH
11-17-11, 11:32 AM
It isn't just tires. It is the suspension too. You really really want a guy with a 2003 LeSabre with a FE1 mush mush suspension and V-Rated tires trying to see how fast it will go? Imagine at 130-140 (if it will do it) and hit a bump.....

Most cars that are FE3 or higher on the RPO that came with V-Rated or better tires have a higher speed limiters, but you are correct, 108 with a 107 restore is the norm for most GM.

Reality is most drivers aren't safe at those speeds.

Charles Warren
11-18-11, 07:46 PM
sport mode seems like it makes you go past 108, mine hits 108 in a blink from 75mph. but theres no tuning on 2006 n* sts's :( cts with 3.2 has no limit unless its past 155 lol

EChas3
11-18-11, 08:58 PM
At least some STS' built for export are not speed limited. My memory may be wrong but I recall 186 MPH quoted as top speed for a factory RWD N*. I think US-market 1SG's with Michelin Sport tires were limited to 168 MPH. I wonder what a V would do...

A long while back, a member posted common limiter settings for the earlier years/trim levels/tire cominations. It's interesting to consider but that kind of speed is not for US public roads. Grandma Mae, Cellphone Sally or Texting Rex may appear from nowhere.

Anyone know of a closed airport?

CStradling24
03-15-12, 04:39 AM
I would like to know what the rated top speed for a 2005 V8 1SG...

With traction control on, and in sport mode, I have got mine to 137 MPH. It still had a little more maybe 150-160. I DO NOT have stock tires. I wish I could find an old airfield or something similar. 12000 unrestricted feet would be nice.

1BadCadSTS
03-15-12, 01:05 PM
Tc on has nothing to do with speed. 1sgs are drag limited not speed. Vs untuned are speed limited at 168 or 158 cannot remember exactly.

Midnight
03-15-12, 01:28 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/cadillac-sts-v-8-road-test

Here's a C&D article from '04. Their 1SG with the 3.42 gears was drag limited at 154 mph.

dkozloski
03-15-12, 01:46 PM
Holy ancient thread Batman!

cadillacmike68
03-15-12, 02:01 PM
There are two things that will cause one of these cars (CTS & STS, even DTS) to have a limit below 130MPH.

The first is if it was not originally built with the Performance Tire & Wheel (PT&W) package for that year. Without that, the car will have been built with H, T or S rated tires and a limit of 130 (changed to 123 as detailed elswhere), 112, or 108 respectively. Look on your drivers door to see what it was originally built with, or check your build sheet. I've seen dealers swap wheels 7 tires with nary a thought, so just looking at the car is of no help.

Note also, that the PT&W pkgs also came with better brakes, cooling, steering & suspension components, so just putting on V or W tires and getting any limit removed will not necessarily be the smart thing to do, at least not for sustained driving.

Then second circumstance that will cause a limit, is if the car was originally a rental fleet car (avis, enterprise, etc). This can often be found on the build sheet and via carfax. These are almost all (if not all) limited to 107 / 108 regardless of the tire package. Mind you, i have never encountered a rental CTS or STS with the PT&W pkg, both in person and via online searches when i was buying my CTS & STS. This is because the pkg costs a bundle ($1,500 - 3,000 more), the tires don't last as long, and the tires cost about twice as much when they have to be replaced, so it doesn't make $$$ sense to the rental car companies.

All that said, I'm really glad now that i passed on the prior avis V8 STS and that i got my wife a CTS with the PT&W pkg. Both of our cars should fly. I've taken them over 100, but haven't tried to go past 108 - need a long open stretch of interstate, because i don't need another ginormous ticket!!!

----------

Holy ancient thread Batman!
Yeah, I know, but i didn't resurrect it!.

And, many newer members do not know this information. I didn't know all the details until recently.

EChas3
03-15-12, 07:53 PM
The fleet cars come with the 2.73 gears and a economy TCM program. My wife's V8 gets 25MPG at 80MPH (2kRPM) with the satin-treaded Michelin Energy tires.

cadillacmike68
03-15-12, 08:09 PM
I guess that's one reason TO get a former rental!

Well my STS easily goes past 125 MPH - had to get it up there in order to embarrass a fool in a mercy-cedes suv tonite on the way home. Details in a separate thread.

Charles Warren
03-17-12, 01:35 PM
who do i have to pay to get mine to have limitless lol, it stops at 108 in d but 1 night in sport mode it was at 125.

EChas3
03-17-12, 09:51 PM
I expect that anyone who has had their limiter 'fixed' agreed not to advertise the tuner that accomplished it. I believe it shouldn't be hard to find some shops around Atlanta doing such work.

cadillacmike68
03-23-12, 01:15 PM
Apparently, 2011 STS rentals with the 17" V rated tires are limited to 118 MPH. Apparently.