: Re-building radiators

03-20-09, 11:15 PM
Hey guys,

Just had my 5.7 rebuilt (as you can see from the post 'Finally getting a 5.7 rebuild). Was running ok, but then the radiator started leaking. I had it rebuilt in November 2007 by a radiator shop. They told me that they couldn't get a hold of another one, so they had to rebuild it. Now, a year and 4 months later, it is leaking; ironically four months after the warranty expired. Even more ironically, I can't just use "stop-leak" because I can't contaminate the new engine.

This "rebuild" was sold to me as a permanent fix, but apparently, I got screwed. And since I cannot find the receipt, I guess I'm buying a new radiator, which IS available from parts stores, for the wonderful price of around $200.

So what really is the deal with 're-building" old radiators. I have done some research and have found that they basically re-route the flow to the lines that aren't leaking. Anybody shed any light on the subject.

Anybody parting any decent radiators for a decent price?

03-29-09, 01:30 PM
I'm probably too late, but try radiators.com . I ordered one on a Sunday afternoon and it was delivered to my house Monday morning. I try to buy local, but low price generally wins.

03-29-09, 02:04 PM
Rebuilding a rad is different than what you are talking about. They take the old end tanks off, and solder in a complete new core. You can spec it stock, with more cores, or with thicker cores.

Is it leaking from the end tank or from one of the tubes in the core? If it is one of the tubes, you can wiggle the vanes out of the way, and crush the tube on either side of the leak with a pair of long-nose pliers. This will stop the coolant flow in that tube, and stop the leak. If it is where the core attaches to the tanks or one of the fittings (and you have a brass/copper rad, NOT plastic/aluminum), you can remove it, flush it with water, dry completely, and solder up the leak with solder and a propane torch.

03-29-09, 02:27 PM
Check with radiator rebuilding shops. They typically have a room full of older radiators, and they might be able to piece one together. Tell them you are on a budget. They might cut you a price because their business is slow.

The worst they can do it throw you out the door.

04-05-09, 08:49 PM
If its the middle part thats leaking its called recoring it and like jayoldschool said they reuse your old tanks. If its one of the tanks thats leaking you can take it to a rad shop and get just that fixed.