: Installed factory navigation, need your help to see if my dvd-rom drive is bad

mattsworld
03-20-09, 10:15 PM
I installed a new factory navigation unit that came out of a 2007. Everything works perfect except I'm not sure if my dvd-rom is bad. My nav disc is a burned copy and it wasn't working, so I tried loading a movie....put the movie in and nothing happend. I hear it spinning just not sure if it's supposed to automatically start playing the movie. Is there an option I need to go to manually attempt playing the dvd? Is there any other way you guys suggest testing the dvd-rom to see if it's bad besides a oem nav disc, which I dont have?

thebigjimsho
03-20-09, 10:48 PM
firmware

mattsworld
03-20-09, 10:51 PM
firmware in a 2007? is there another way to verify the drive is atleast working before I spend 200+ on a dvd?

heavymetals
03-20-09, 11:56 PM
Try a music cd and see if it gets recognized.

If yes, then try a movie.

You may have to go to a dealer and have TECHII run on it.

mattsworld
03-21-09, 07:59 AM
and what do I tell the dealer to do with the tech 2? it has already been tech2'd to clear theftlock

heavymetals
03-21-09, 12:31 PM
If it has already been TECHIId then you might just have a bad unit.

Don't you know anyone with a CTS or a V that you can try their map dvd?

mattsworld
03-21-09, 12:39 PM
I dont, I might go up to the dealership to see if they will let me put a disk in to test. If the dvd rom is bad do I have an option of being able to purchase just the drive or would I need to buy a parts unit off ebay or something?

I put an audio cd in there and it did nothing, then put a movie in and it did nothing and when I went into dvd, it says there is no video disk in the drive. I can however hear it spinning. Any recommendations?

heavymetals
03-21-09, 12:58 PM
Well if it is spinning, the unit thinks something is there.

Sounds like the unit is kaput.

mattsworld
03-21-09, 01:38 PM
the dvd-rom is yea, I'm pretty sure. Guess I'll try and pick up a broken unit to pull the dvd-rom rom out and replace it.

my question now though is, will the dvd-rom play a music cd? or a movie dvd w/o any firmware updates or anything? I'm just trying to find a way to test the unit to make sure it is dead.

heavymetals
03-21-09, 01:46 PM
Firmware upgrade has nothing to do with playing a movie.

mattsworld
03-21-09, 04:14 PM
Well just did a cleaning on it and it now plays the dvd cleaning rom and music cds. Can't get a dvd to play though. How long does it usually take for you guys to load a dvd?

mattsworld
03-21-09, 05:01 PM
Is it possible to purchase just a replacement dvd drive? I think the motor in this one is bad, or anyone know a part # and I can try and repair.

thebigjimsho
03-21-09, 09:32 PM
not firmware...

mattsworld
03-21-09, 09:43 PM
yea I'm 100% sure this drive is bad, I took the top off and watched it spin...it will spin for a good 5 seconds, then stop, then start...then stop...etc. Not sure if I can fix this. Wish I could find somewhere to buy "just" the dvd drive. Might have to buy an entire unit for parts. Sucks to b/c that drive is right on top and takes about 5min to get out.

tweeter81
03-22-09, 11:48 AM
I bought my 2004 new in and popped in a DVD the next day to see what it was like and it didn't work, the screen just stayed black. I figured that I would hold off on getting a whole new unit under warranty since everything else has worked flawlessly. Since that, I have never been in a situation where I wanted to play a DVD in my car anyway, so I will most likely just live without it. (BTW - I must have gotten a better unit than most because I have never had peeling NAV button problems in the 4 years I have owned the car)

mattsworld
03-22-09, 12:02 PM
I couldn't care less about playing a movie, it's the navigation that I need. Can't load the dvd for maps.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
03-24-09, 02:13 AM
Try to get a genuine copy in there and see if it works. I just got a burned copy and it only works half the time. My non-burned one works fine.

mattsworld
03-24-09, 07:16 AM
I bought a parts unit I'm waiting on. Just going to swap out the dvd-drive and hopefully it fixes my problem. I will be buying a genuine copy of the maps. I sure hope that wasn't my only problem, but I doubt it was. It wouldn't even attempt to play a movie...took about 5 min to start up a music cd. It would just start and stop spinning.

ryanducati
03-31-09, 01:11 AM
I have the same problem =(

Everything was working fine... until one day, the navigation quit. I tried to put in a dvd, it just spins and it loads the movie for about 5 seconds and it quits. Then it starts over again,loads and quits... Same with a CD. I have taken it apart and I notice a Sanyo Lithuim "laser" battery in the DVD drive. I have no idea what it does. Maybe needs a new battery?

If you get it fix, let me know. Thanks

Vee
04-14-09, 10:13 AM
MY Nav froze wile on vacation 2 weeks ago. Now it only loads every once in a while. Disk is fairly new and looks flawless. The unit played my lens cleaner CD, and a movie DVD, but gives me a "Disk Error" with the NAV disk. Any suggestions?