: Im Pissed.....Assistance Requested.....

AlmostAV
03-20-09, 06:31 PM
Hey guys,

Im sure a few of you remember a while back I had some pretty extensive warranty work done.

Plaza Cadillac did the work.

I was complaining about a severely squeaking driver side suspension....of course it got blamed on the eibach lowering springs...although the passneger side hasnt made a single noise not once in 70,000 miles being lowered.

Plaza said it was a worn upper control arm bushing.

So I got grilled for 500 bucks to replace the whole assembly because you cant purchase the upper control arm bushing seperately.

Now, less than a month later it is already squeaking. It is of the same extent that it was squeaking last time. Now im out 500 bucks, nothing got fixed, and Im left with a Cadillac that sounds like a 15 year old Honda with worn shocks coming down the road.

Was something not installed correctly?

Could something else thats messed up be causing these bushings to wear out prematurely. You cant tell me that a one inch drop is the culprit here. I know like 90% of you are lowered to the same degree that I am, and have never heard of or read a post from any of you referring to the problems I am experiencing.

Anyone else experience this, and solve the issue?

Any ideas?

Dirty, and still installed on the car I sprayed the shit out of it with white lithium grease. It helped for about a day. I think Im going to take apart the assembly, clean each part, and coat it really good with white lithium grease. Im hoping this will resolve the issue, but if it doesnt. What gives?

thebigjimsho
03-20-09, 06:36 PM
Greasing the bump stops on my GC worked for me. At first, I needed to grease it every few weeks for a couple months. Now, the squeak is very faint and only in the rain. It's so faint I thought it was gone for good but noticed it at slow speeds with the radio off. Even then, it was very faint.

Cadillac Tony
03-20-09, 06:51 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your springs are making a noise, but as we discussed already, the upper shock mount was worn down to bare metal and needed to be replaced. Even if the noise from your springs was the only thing causing the noise (which I doubt), looking for the noise led our technician to discover the worn mount and recommend you repair it.

I doubt that the drop is what caused the mount to wear out- more than likely, it's the fact that the car has 70,000 miles on it. A heavy, stiffly sprung sports car will wear these things out in 70,000 miles even if left stock, but adding in even stiffer springs, a lower stance, reduced shock travel and heavier aftermarket wheels will accelerate the wear. Motor mounts, bushings and other wear items are normal maintenance for a car with that many miles on it.

We don't "grill" people for money here. If you recall, when you dropped off the car you were fully convinced that you needed a new clutch, and were prepared to buy a clutch and pay us to install it. If we were the type of Dealership that sold our customers work they didn't need, we'd have just told you to order the clutch and taken your money. Instead, my Techs took the time to bleed the clutch (twice) and eliminate your concern about being difficult to get in gear, saving you the cost of a clutch and the labor to pull the whole trans and replace it.

Hopefully you're still happy with all the other things we found and fixed, and you find a solution to the squeaky Eibachs.

AlmostAV
03-20-09, 07:52 PM
I want to make it clear to tony, plaza, and everyone else that I am in no means discounting the work that Plaza did, or what they provided me. Im just saying I still have an issue.

Plaza did great by me, tony, and you know that. I only said I was out 500 cause thats how I feel. I understand its hard for plaza to take the side of the customer at every juncture. But considering I just replaced the item and spent a descent amount of money at Plaza, I was expecting a gesture "it will be fixed, no if ands or buts". I also still have the clutch issue....the same thing happened but worse and more often very recently....so the issue wasnt solved there either via the bleed. Im just extremely dissatisfied with Cadillacs product right now....as I just fixed stuff.....and all the major fixes are now problems and worse than ever.

AlmostAV
03-20-09, 07:54 PM
Im going to have to disagree with you that the eibachs are the problem. Based on the fact that MOST people on this forum are lowered....and I havent seen posts regarding this issue....that leads me to believe that drawing a conclusion that this problem is because of the eibachs is just unfounded.

Cadillac Tony
03-20-09, 09:29 PM
I think you misunderstood what I wrote: I don't think the Eibachs caused the shock mount to wear out either. I think the fact that the car has 70,000 miles means it's time for some of these bushings and mounts to start showing wear and getting replaced.

Concerning the clutch: Like I said in our e-mail exchange, the problem you're having now isn't the one you brought it in for. The complaint then was "hard to get in gear", which you and I both agreed was fixed by the bleed after driving the car. Now you're having an issue with the pedal sticking to the floor at high RPMs, which is a totally separate concern. I'd guess that the reason it never did it before was because the fluid reservoir was bone dry and your clutch was barely disengaging. We drove it normally to test the operation after we bled the system, and it was perfect. The only way we'd have known it was sticking at high rpms would be to take it out and beat on it, and we don't drive our customers' cars like that. As I said in the email I sent, we'd be happy to drop in the aftermarket clutch and flywheel of your choice at the same discounted labor rate we gave you on the other work.

I totally understand why you're not thrilled, but keep in mind that GM bought you a motor mount, rear diff bushing, 3rd brake light and a new memory seat switch while the car was here- all under warranty. Bleeding the clutch, replacing a shock mount and putting fresh plugs and wires on is normal maintenance for a car with 70,000 miles.

NormV
03-20-09, 09:31 PM
Are you running 40 lbs wheels?

Norm

JimmyH
03-20-09, 10:03 PM
Based on the fact that MOST people on this forum are lowered....

I find it hard to believe MOST people on this forum are lowered. I would be willing to bet you have it backwards; 90% of the people on this forum are not lowered, and would not even think of being lowered.

If you want to indulge in mod hell, you need to be ready to spend the extra cash to keep the car working with all those mods. You wanna play, you gotta pay.

Otherwise be like me and all the other lurkers here who make the smart choice: stay bone stock.

Oh, and skip the white lithium grease. Use marine grease. Water resistant, lasts longer, better lubrication.

thebigjimsho
03-20-09, 10:40 PM
JimmyH knows his greases...

Jon
03-20-09, 10:45 PM
JimmyH knows his lube...

fixed

suppercaddy1
03-20-09, 11:00 PM
this might help u have ur dealer ck on a service bulletin #06-03-08-008C,i dont think that the coil spring will make any noise but if u have a worn bushing it will squeaks,for the strut top mount bushing if its is worn down to metal u will have a noise like metal to metal rubbing together or a knocking noise when going over bumb,and for the service bulletin is for cking the lower control arm bushing rubbing against its outer rate washer and to install Bushing Insulating Spacer

thebigjimsho
03-20-09, 11:44 PM
Since U Been Gone

CTSV_Rob
03-21-09, 12:08 AM
I find it hard to believe MOST people on this forum are lowered. I would be willing to bet you have it backwards; 90% of the people on this forum are not lowered, and would not even think of being lowered.

If you want to indulge in mod hell, you need to be ready to spend the extra cash to keep the car working with all those mods. You wanna play, you gotta pay.

Otherwise be like me and all the other lurkers here who make the smart choice: stay bone stock.

Oh, and skip the white lithium grease. Use marine grease. Water resistant, lasts longer, better lubrication.
Jimmy knows his lubes :lol:

I have "indulged" in the mods but I have not lowered my car. Jimmy is dead on though (as usual) you play you pay. I have had some troubles with a few mods I have installed and I have never thought to bring the car in for warranty work. I have taken care of them myself.

Now if you think about it lowering your car using the Eibach springs this is the cheap way to go (one step above cutting off a coil). The car was not designed to run at that ride height so the fact that you have decided to make this mod all things that are a result of it are your problem.

I am very impressed with Tony's response to you and being a bit of a motor head his responses look dead on. (Kudos and imaginery rep points for keeping your cool)

You would be a fool to expect any dealer to just fix your car once you start modding the car. You are at the mercy of the dealership and if they turn down your warranty you don't have a leg to stand on. Treat any dealer you work with, with respect and if they turn you down, man up and fix it.

This car is like a woman, if you treat her right oh is she fun but if you beat on her and treat her like shit she can make your life hell.

Time to take mine for a sweet run. (love my V1!)

CTSV_Rob
03-21-09, 12:09 AM
this might help u have ur dealer ck on a service bulletin #06-03-08-008C,i dont think that the coil spring will make any noise but if u have a worn bushing it will squeaks,for the strut top mount bushing if its is worn down to metal u will have a noise like metal to metal rubbing together or a knocking noise when going over bumb,and for the service bulletin is for cking the lower control arm bushing rubbing against its outer rate washer and to install Bushing Insulating Spacer

What is an "outer rate washer"?

ccextra1976
03-21-09, 12:26 AM
What is an "outer rate washer"?

a P.C. way to say race?...

CTSV_Rob
03-21-09, 12:39 AM
:lol:

thebigjimsho
03-21-09, 10:07 PM
what just happened?

darkman
03-21-09, 10:35 PM
what just happened?

The TSB in question contains the term "outer rate washer" (in two places) which presumably should be "outer race washer" (as in bearing + race = bearing set).

thebigjimsho
03-21-09, 11:31 PM
So PC does really mean politically correct?

darkman
03-22-09, 12:28 AM
So PC does really mean politically correct?

Apparently so - but actually the GM TSB technical writer may just be too stubborn to type the letter "c", kinda like NAF's problem with words ending with the letter "g".

thebigjimsho
03-22-09, 12:48 AM
it's a plague

ProdigalSON
03-22-09, 01:48 AM
Suscribed - noticed a small squeak at low speeds with radio off (no lowering, stock suspension but previous owner had ghetto 20's before I switched back to OEM). I gathered a guess that the extra weight put some strain on her so I wouldnt be surprised if a bushing is worn.

Sound is very faint but I will be keeping an eye on this thread for possible fixes if it gets worse.

NormV
03-22-09, 07:19 AM
Watch using petroleum based products on rubber bushings and weather striping. I'd try silicone spray first which will not disolve the rubber.

Norm

JimmyH
03-24-09, 02:38 PM
Rob, you are the kind of guy who should be indulging in mod hell, because you know shit when it comes to mods.

Others, not so much.

JimmyH
03-24-09, 02:39 PM
Watch using petroleum based products on rubber bushings and weather striping. I'd try silicone spray first which will not disolve the rubber.

Norm

+1. Always heed the label warnings.