: Durability of Suede Wheel & Shiftknob ?

Razorecko
03-20-09, 11:51 AM
All you owners with the sweeeede option, how durable is it ? Do you feel it makes a nice difference in grip ? Do you feel it wont last longer than 15k miles ?

demorgan59
03-20-09, 12:08 PM
And if you had it to do over, would you choose the standard leather?

Razorecko
03-20-09, 12:28 PM
And if you had it to do over, would you choose the standard leather?

I dont know i'm picking up my V from the dealer monday.

Fubar75207
03-20-09, 07:15 PM
I like the feel but I doubt anyone will be able to address durability at this stage. It is deffinately a concern... only time will tell. It is not expensive to replace those items. I think Henessey offers both for about $550.

Ketzer
03-20-09, 07:49 PM
Mmmmm, swayde.

Seriously though, as fanatical as we are, I don't see us abusing or not caring for, so I'm guessing it will hold up fine.

Jeff-

Razorecko
03-20-09, 07:52 PM
^ not only that if it falls apart it should be under warranty since its original equipment :thumbsup:

vixapphire
03-21-09, 05:10 PM
porsche puts suede wheel on their gt3 and certain other up-trimmed models for the past few years. wonder what they say about the wheel's durability on porsche forums?

aceofblitz
03-21-09, 05:51 PM
I heard that it's actually Alcantara. It is synthetic suede, it looks and feels almost exactly like the original leather suede.. but it is easier to clean and has a higher resistance to fire. Some Japanese dude made it and an Italian company produces it, you can see it's applications on a lot of cars, most notably the Lamborghini Reventon which is FILLED with the material, their main marketing spin is that it is more durable and feels exactly like the real thing. So I suppose it can take a proper beating before you ever have to change it.

Oh yeah..... SWAAAAYDE

thebigjimsho
03-21-09, 08:31 PM
swayde is forever!

bruff1977
03-21-09, 11:29 PM
Driving gloves anyone?

thebigjimsho
03-21-09, 11:46 PM
Yes, Alpinestars...

TaVern
03-22-09, 12:22 AM
How the hell did I miss this thread?!

sooperior swayde :drool:

62Jeff
03-22-09, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't worry about it wearing poorly, just looking like crap as all of those funky body oils migrate off your hands.

marktanner
03-22-09, 11:23 AM
Caddy uses microfiber, not true alcantara, which may be even more durable. Big question is, how does it hold up to oils and grease, small cuts and tears, and even smells? Leather wheels usually take on a patina from the oils in the hands, and they also accumulate small cuts, usually from nails, but also from mechanics' tools. It's especially noticeable if your shift knob or wheel has to be replaced, because the textures no longer match initially, until the oils penetrate the new part. I bring up smells, because sometimes gasoline might accidentally wind up on your hands or gloves and transfer to the wheel. Does the microfiber hold on to the smell longer? Has anyone snagged their wheel with their nails yet? The cars haven't been out for a long time yet, but are the higher mileage V2's showing any changes in the nap pattern of the wheel? Has anyone needed to or tried to clean their wheels or shift knobs? Any pics of higher mileage microfiber wheels?

Incidentally, how is the titanium or cashmere fabric holding up, especially to dirt? They are extremely light in color.

Dallara
03-22-09, 12:11 PM
~

Hi, Folks.

This is my first post here. My CTS-V is on order, and due to be built on 03/23. Auto, Thunder Gray with Titanium Recaro's.

The reasons mentioned above are why I ordered mine without the "suede" wheel or shift knob. From my personal experience in the car business I saw that even with people who kept their hands clean that "suede" (or alcantara) wheels showed dirt, oils, and wear faster than traditional leather, even in dark colors. They also tend to sort of *polish* in areas where contact is the highest, almost burnishing and showing slick spots. Leather, too, polishes up a bit on wheels, but yet seems to take on a patina and pattern most seem to like as it ages... As long as it doesn't crack or get torn.

Nice forum here, BTW. Have really enjoyed "lurking" and have learned a ton about the CTS-V. Looking forward to learning more.

Thanks!

Dallara

~

thebigjimsho
03-22-09, 05:56 PM
What does the Titanium Recaro own??

Razorecko
03-22-09, 06:21 PM
If its a microfiber material than it should be extremly hard and easy to clean.

thebigjimsho
03-22-09, 09:31 PM
hard and easy?

Razorecko
03-22-09, 09:35 PM
hard and easy?

lol, meant hardy

thebigjimsho
03-22-09, 09:38 PM
hahaha

I thought you were engaged in lawyer speak...

Short-Throw
03-22-09, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't worry about it wearing poorly, just looking like crap as all of those funky body oils migrate off your hands.

This can happen with poor maintenance. If you clean the material it's not an issue. The truth is most people are too lazy to do it. No different than letting a good pair of shoes go to he!!

concorso
03-23-09, 02:04 PM
Caddy uses microfiber, not true alcantara, which may be even more durable. Big question is, how does it hold up to oils and grease, small cuts and tears, and even smells? Leather wheels usually take on a patina from the oils in the hands, and they also accumulate small cuts, usually from nails, but also from mechanics' tools. It's especially noticeable if your shift knob or wheel has to be replaced, because the textures no longer match initially, until the oils penetrate the new part. I bring up smells, because sometimes gasoline might accidentally wind up on your hands or gloves and transfer to the wheel. Does the microfiber hold on to the smell longer?This 'patina' can be stopped by cleaning the leather steering wheel and shift knob...This is partly why I tell people that using leather conditioners loaded with oils is very bad for your leather. Using it on your seat, you wont see the effects as fast as you will on your steering wheel and shift knob, therefore you think your doing your leather good by feeding it oils. IF you clean your steering wheel frequently with a dedicated leather cleaner (not a conditioner), you can keep the oils from accumulating. Follow with NOTHING unless you have a Nubuck/Suede/Microfiber Protectant like the one from Leather Masters. Make sure to use something that uses 2 spearate products for cleaning and protecting.