: The ol' Brougham finally bit it :(

FrankieSixxxgun
03-20-09, 12:17 PM
On the way home from work yesterday the Florida heat finally got the ol' sucker, and the passenger head gasket seems to have totally given out. It was shooting a nice stream of coolant/oil out of the side, and the funk that came out of my radiator is thick and sebaceous. I'm definitely saavy and able enough to do a head gasket job on the car, but I'm just not willing to get that dirty and waste my whole weekend on it. A shop quoted me $600 for a gasket job, is that what I should expect? Think it's worth letting the car take the final ride to the you-pull-it and just getting something else? :(

sven914
03-20-09, 01:17 PM
If the car is in good condition, I'd put the money into it. It is 22 years old and even though the Kelly Blue Book value has it set at about 1,400 (good condition), the value is sure to increase as the car ages.

If there are other mechanical problems with the engine, but the body and frame are still nice, I'd take out the .307 and put in a .350. It will give you a nice power increase and more enjoyment from the vehicle.

If there is absolutely nothing worth saving on the car; basically a rolling shit-hole, then get a few hundred from the scrap yard. I would just take a all of the interior and exterior emblems, the hubcaps, and owner's manual (if in decent condition) to sell them on eBay or Craigslist. Those wire hubcaps, if in mint condition, sell for $100 a cap. If you sell the emblems correctly (individually or in pairs, and not in a bulk lot) you can probably draw $200+ just from the emblems.

FrankieSixxxgun
03-20-09, 03:37 PM
Well, the body is rusty, but I have all the chrome and emblems on it. The paints a little faded on the hood and trunk, but it's still tolerable and would buff back to a shine. Tops's good with no cracks, good tires, brakes, etc... Overall the car is fine, it's just leaking like a sieve out of the passenger head and my coolant is black. I'm shopping around for the best price on a head gasket job as I don't want to do it myself, and if something comes back tolerable I'll probably do it. It's not really about the value when I say, "Worth it," it's more about the, "If I fix this what else is gonna break," kinda worth it. This car has had a ton of cooling system problems though, like 2 water pumps, 2 radiators, blown heater core, and now the head gasket, but it probably all stems back to oil being in the system, huh?

DopeStar 156
03-20-09, 07:56 PM
This car has had a ton of cooling system problems though, like 2 water pumps, 2 radiators, blown heater core, and now the head gasket, but it probably all stems back to oil being in the system, huh?
I'd say so, looks like your problems came to a head finally. (no pun intended) Mine were replaced in November when I had my heads rebuilt so they should be good to go for the long haul as the engine sits now at 142k. Sounds like your problem was gradual.....

Destroyer
03-21-09, 12:47 AM
On the way home from work yesterday the Florida heat finally got the ol' sucker, and the passenger head gasket seems to have totally given out. It was shooting a nice stream of coolant/oil out of the side, and the funk that came out of my radiator is thick and sebaceous. I'm definitely saavy and able enough to do a head gasket job on the car, but I'm just not willing to get that dirty and waste my whole weekend on it. A shop quoted me $600 for a gasket job, is that what I should expect? Think it's worth letting the car take the final ride to the you-pull-it and just getting something else? :(Do you have the car on Craigslist right now? Some crackhead is selling one needing a head gasket for $1300. Like that's gonna happen! It's a white one. Yours? :tisk:

FrankieSixxxgun
03-21-09, 02:07 PM
Yup, that's mine. :o

I decided to sell it after talking to a few mechanics on the phone. I don't feel like paying for a head and block resurfacing on that car, and you know if it got hot enough to take the gasket out that it needs it. I just picked $1200 out of the sky yesterday right before leaving work. I think I'm gonna put it up for a buck and say, "Make offer."

This crackhead did get 3 calls and 1 guy to stop by and look at it since yesterday though. :nyanya:

FrankieSixxxgun
03-21-09, 02:10 PM
There, I fixed the ad. :lildevil:

EndlessRyd
03-23-09, 06:02 PM
I wish I could find someone to do a head gasket for $600. The prices I have been getting for my car is $900-$1400. I have a Saab 900 Turbo Conv, and just finding someone to work on a Saab is difficult. I would have jumped on the $600 job. Im taking on the Saab H/G myself in the next comming weeks. The Caddy should be comming out of storage soon! Im moving over the border to Indiana next month, and I have a nice 2 car garage for the Caddy and my truck to move into!!! Good luck selling the car.

Destroyer
03-24-09, 08:39 AM
This crackhead did get 3 calls and 1 guy to stop by and look at it since yesterday though. :nyanya:Oh sh*t, I didn't really think it was yours.:eek: I barely got that much for my '87 when I sold it and that car was pretty "mint".

FrankieSixxxgun
03-24-09, 10:25 PM
Oh sh*t, I didn't really think it was yours.:eek: I barely got that much for my '87 when I sold it and that car was pretty "mint".

:lol:

I just sold the Caddy tonight for $750. I actually went over to the darkside and bought a '90 Town Car today too. :hide:

Cadillacboy
03-26-09, 05:43 PM
I'm sure you would get back to Cadillac pretty soon ;)

Destroyer
03-28-09, 11:38 PM
:lol:

I just sold the Caddy tonight for $750. I actually went over to the darkside and bought a '90 Town Car today too. :hide:After my last Caddy..........I made the switch to the dark side as well. The dark side has treated me well thus far whereas my Caddy took a dump all over me ('99 Deville).

Aron9000
03-29-09, 04:11 AM
After my last Caddy..........I made the switch to the dark side as well. The dark side has treated me well thus far whereas my Caddy took a dump all over me ('99 Deville).

Lincoln Town Cars have always been good running/long lasting cars. They don't have squat on the Brougham/Fleetwood in terms of design/styling or the power of the LT1 though.