: V Mechanic takin' a break

ewill3rd
03-20-09, 07:59 AM
Okay guys. Hopefully this is V related since I work on V's and answer questions on V's. ;)

I am taking a few days off to travel... to Russia.
Long story. I'll fill you guys in later, just can't talk about it right now.
I leave on the red eye tonight and should be back late Weds so hopefully your cars will all keep running until then.

I hate to travel but the doc gave me something to keep me in level flight, if you know what I mean. I should be okay unless my wife keeps tap dancing on my nerve endings. :lol:

Take care everybody and I'll see you next week! (I'll be here today but probably pretty busy packing and wrapping things up)

Anyone so inclined to talk to a deity to keep me safe please do so, I hate flying and being strapped inside a giant 30 ton tube with 400 people just doesn't seem like an exciting idea to me. Especially flying at night, over the ocean 6 miles in the air. :crybaby:

rand49er
03-20-09, 08:15 AM
Hope all goes well, Bill. Post up when you get back and tell us how it went. :thumbsup:

CadiBlk
03-20-09, 11:18 AM
I leave on the red eye tonight and should be back late Weds so hopefully your cars will all keep running until then.

I knocked on wood first, so my V isn't the one he just hexed. What's he trying to do drum up some business with a statement like that? :eek:

TaVern
03-20-09, 11:29 AM
As long as you aren't moving there, Bill, I have no objections. Who else can I trust to work on my precious V? :D

Have a good time and tell us all about it when you get back :thumbsup:

-Justin

nmaier2201
03-20-09, 11:32 AM
good deal, you need a vacation from us! Hey Russia is great if you can avoid getting ripped off. Once the locals know your not from Russia the price of goods goes up 3x! Everything is blackmarket and mobbed up... so be careful.

Watch out, some of that local brewed no label vodka can make you go blind!

Get yourself one of those genuine russian pile hats with the CCCP hammer on it... those are sweet!.... (if you live in a icebox like chicago)

mikes2nd
03-20-09, 12:00 PM
yeah why Russia? I think id rather see Japan or China :)

ewill3rd
03-20-09, 12:01 PM
:lol: I wasn't trying to jinx anyone. Robert will be here in case of an emergency so don't be scared to come in, just save all the good stuff until after I get back ;)

I'm not much of a drinker, but I read somewhere not to accept a drink from anyone unless I wanted to help them empty the bottle!
I got some clothes that will hopefully not make me stand out too much, I was going to buy some local clothing to fit in better. I don't know much Russian so if I have to open my mouth it will be obvious where I am from but we are supposed to be accompanied by an interpreter so hopefully that will help.

I am not really supposed to talk about why I am going, let's just say my wife and I are going to meet someone. ;)
Save the speculation for a month or so and I will probably have loads more to tell.

Thanks again guys!

JD03Cobra
03-20-09, 12:02 PM
I wouldnt mind some hired help from there.

CIWS
03-20-09, 12:18 PM
Good luck on the trip. Have fun and take lots of pics. :)

stuckey
03-20-09, 12:57 PM
:lol: I wasn't trying to jinx anyone. Robert will be here in case of an emergency so don't be scared to come in, just save all the good stuff until after I get back ;)

I'm not much of a drinker, but I read somewhere not to accept a drink from anyone unless I wanted to help them empty the bottle!
I got some clothes that will hopefully not make me stand out too much, I was going to buy some local clothing to fit in better. I don't know much Russian so if I have to open my mouth it will be obvious where I am from but we are supposed to be accompanied by an interpreter so hopefully that will help.

I am not really supposed to talk about why I am going, let's just say my wife and I are going to meet someone. ;)
Save the speculation for a month or so and I will probably have loads more to tell.

Thanks again guys!

And I was thinking you were going for a mail order bride....guess not

thebigjimsho
03-20-09, 05:02 PM
And I was thinking you were going for a mail order bride....guess not
mail order 3-way? :highfive:

MauiV
03-20-09, 05:07 PM
I think I can make a pretty good guess for the quick trip.

Be safe, if Im right it should be well worth it.

thebigjimsho
03-20-09, 05:26 PM
me too. I think I may know...

814V
03-20-09, 06:04 PM
bring me a mail order blonde..

have fun!

thebigjimsho
03-20-09, 06:05 PM
hmm...

814V
03-20-09, 06:10 PM
i hear the ammunition is good over there.. think they will let you bring me a 1000 rounds?

cvettr/cts-v
03-20-09, 06:31 PM
Have a good time. I just came back from a 17 daycruise around australia. flight from here to la 3.5 hours then 3 hour lay over then 14.5 hours la to sydney. I was going to say just drink a few and sleep. But then you said your not much of a drinker. Maybe some ambien. Hopefully you'll have individual head phones and entertainment systems that you pick your own movies or shows like on our Quantas flights because that does make it easier. I do not envy you doing that and back 3 days later but you'll get through it and it will hopefully be well worth it. Good luck.

CTSV_Rob
03-20-09, 11:25 PM
Take care ewill and have a safe trip.

The locals (tav and others) can suffer (a little) like us poor folk on the west coast!

rjoffe
03-22-09, 09:09 PM
Safe trip Bill,

Hopefully everything is as expected and you don't get too much of a run around.

Ron

thebigjimsho
03-22-09, 10:14 PM
A real jetsetter. He'll be back in 3 days...

ewill3rd
03-26-09, 10:43 PM
Trip one is over. Two more trips and hopefully all will be as it should.
Things went pretty good, the doctor gave me something to take the edge off... it took it off alright and knocked me right out... :lol:
Good thing I only took half a pill each trip! The flight from Dulles to Frankfurt was on a 777 both ways and we had TVs with multiple channels of movies to choose from, that was nice but on the outbound I was gone all the way there (8 hours).
The short flight (4 hours) from Frankfurt to Samara wasn't too bad. It was again at night and we got in at like four in the morning so I slept some more after a brutal 9 hour layover in Frankfurt.
Coming back was faster but I slept less because they were daytime flights. The jet lag isn't too bad because of all the sleep I got on the way home.

Things went very smoothly on the trip and I can't talk about it yet but everything looks really good!

The chicks in Russia are freaking hot by the way. I was blown away.
Didn't have much time to do touristy stuff due to the business end of the trip but we do have to go back twice more and should have more free time on each of those trips.
Thanks for the well wishes guys, I did okay and all went well except the whole traveling with the wife part. :lol:
Long story....

I'm back working and will keep you all posted on any exciting events.

CTSV_Rob
03-26-09, 10:46 PM
Checking out the local talent probably didn't settle well with the wife huh Bill?

Good to see you back.

rjoffe
03-26-09, 11:13 PM
Glad you made it back, and sounds like the hours in the oversized beer can were not too bad.

When will you be back at work ? I have to stop by and see you about a TPMS sensor in one of the new wheels that won't set (or at least doesn't set for me :) )

ewill3rd
03-27-09, 09:03 AM
Ron,

I am here until they tell us we have to go back next month. We still have a stack of paperwork to finish and then they set a date for us to return.
I don't know when that will be but I am speculating the week of the 30th. It could be the week of the 16th but I want to avoid that because I have several things planned that week already.
Oh I'll be gone to school on the 13th and 14th in Baltimore on our new 6 speed automatic transmissions. (all dates in April)

rjoffe
03-27-09, 09:08 AM
Thanks Bill,

I will try to swing by next week. I'm back on the track Thursday and Friday. I also have to return the strut bar to Luke, I received the new tower mounts in the mail yesterday.

Ron

JimmyH
03-27-09, 09:54 AM
Hopefully you get some well-deserved rest one of these days. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

ewill3rd
05-02-09, 08:39 AM
Trip 2 to Russia begins today!
See you guys next Saturday.

Feel free to spread the word in other forums (and the lounge) that I am gone.
Not much time for me to post and I'd hate for someone to think I was ignoring them.

I hope to have some fun!
I'll be in Moscow tomorrow!

rjoffe
05-02-09, 09:42 AM
Safe trip Bill.

your maker
05-02-09, 10:58 AM
bill take snap shots of Russian women for us!!

DILLIGAF
05-02-09, 12:06 PM
My bet is a new baby.

liqidvenom
05-02-09, 01:29 PM
good luck on your trips man.

TaVern
05-02-09, 01:51 PM
Trip 2 to Russia begins today!
See you guys next Saturday.

Pics of the local talent or don't bother coming back :D

MauiV
05-02-09, 06:28 PM
My bet is a new baby.

That was my guess on March 20th, I hope it works out for him.

ahahnu
05-02-09, 08:10 PM
Russian women are gorgous. And they like to be sexy and wear little delicate intimates. I work with alot of Russian clients. I had to do research on Russian weddings... Everywhere I researched it said you must be drunk. They said it's impolote not to be drunk. Also everywhere I looked was offers for mail order brides.

C66 Racing
05-03-09, 01:11 PM
Good luck on the trip. Hope this one works out as well as the last one. Try not to ogle the local ladies too much with your wife by your side. :D

ewill3rd
05-09-09, 09:57 AM
The women are beautiful and do dress nicely, you guys got that right. Not sure how my wife would feel about me snapping off photos of the local beauties. Not sure how they'd feel either.
Sorry I don't have any, I try to accidentally get some in my pictures but....

Trip 2 was good, I'll tell you what's going on after May 22nd.
I hate all the flying.
To make matters worse, Trip 3 starts a week from tomorrow!!!
I know it isn't the longest flight but 10 hours in a plane really sucks you know what!
I had 6 flights this time, most of them were okay but the 2 long ones from Atlanta to Moscow and Moscow to JFK were just brutal.

rjoffe
05-09-09, 12:29 PM
Bill,

I know it's mother's day tomorrow, but this time around, your wife better be thanking you :).

Ron

liqidvenom
05-09-09, 12:45 PM
but flying first class would make the 10hrs seem kinda nice no?

ahahnu
05-09-09, 01:39 PM
Southwest. *Bing - You are now free to move about the cabin.

ewill3rd
05-10-09, 09:49 AM
I wish I had the dough for first class!!
Coach on Delta wasn't too bad actually. This time it should be an adventure though.
We have flown Lufthansa/United, and Delta. Next trip it will be from Dulles to Moscow on Aeroflot!!
I am a bit nervous about that but... whatever.

I have a hard time flying, even harder standing up on the plane. My butt was killing me by the middle of the flight home, hopefully Aeroflot has better seat cushions???
My son goes next trip and we get to do more touristy stuff. This is it for me though, no more traveling for a looooooooooong time! :lol:
I really hate it, although the flight from JFK to Dulles was a cake walk compared to that Atlanta to Moscow flight! Holy crap!

Ron, we'll see what happens on Father's day huh?
:lol:

Full details on all this stuff after May 22nd okay? I promise.

rjoffe
05-10-09, 11:44 AM
Bill,

Now you are all set, you can fly anywhere in the lower 48, and it will be a breeze.

As far as that flight on Aeroflot, any chance of changing that ticket :)

On a serious note:

Amazon.com: SKWOOSH Stadium Gel Seat - BLACK: Sports & Outdoors

The other thing that really helps on long trips is a set on noise canceling headphones:

http://www.target.com/Maxell-Noise-Canceling-Folding-Headphones-HPNCIII/dp/B0007XFGAE/qid=1241966508/ref=br_1_8/185-5270837-5971746?ie=UTF8&node=122917011&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

The cheap ones are usually good enough, no need to spend hundreds on a bose set. It really helps if you get seats in the rear. And that way you can play your music and actually hear it.

Ron

ewill3rd
05-10-09, 02:44 PM
The Dr. gave me some pills to take the edge off and I can sleep okay on the plane. I just hate flying and the pills take a little TOO much of the edge off if you know what I mean.
And that is if I take only half of one!

I just hate it when the air gets rough.
Being a mechanic hurtling through the air at 600 mph 6 miles off the ground in a 20 ton machine just doesn't make me feel comfortable for some reason.

C66 Racing
05-10-09, 03:47 PM
Good luck on your next trip Bill. I know what you mean on the long flights. I think the longest I've flown was Honolulu to Syndey. Seem to remember it being about 12 hours. Way too long to be stuck in a chair.

ewill3rd
05-15-09, 11:01 PM
Trip 3 begins tomorrow (Saturday) night.
I'll be back in a week and I'll start another thread outlining my trips and share some photobucket images for anyone who cares to look.

Thanks to all for the well wishes.
I hate flying so any of you types that like to do the prayer thing... drop a line to the big guy for me.
Once this trip is over I'll be back and hopefully able to pay more attention to what's going on here.
Sorry for being so distracted lately, life sure can be crazy.

Gotta go pack!

CTSV_510
05-15-09, 11:06 PM
Enjoy yourself Bill!

rjoffe
05-16-09, 11:42 AM
heh, you think you will have more time once you are all done :)

atdeneve
05-16-09, 04:01 PM
I am still so lost...

I can't figure out what's going on, but Russian chicks are cool.

ewill3rd
05-20-09, 01:25 PM
Everything is going as planned so far.

I will be home with my new son on Saturday evening!
Yep, all is well!
Details to follow after that day.
I am waiting to hear from the adoption people what I can tell, and not tell.
My new son's name is Vladimir he is 2 1/2 and he's an absolute angel straight from heaven.

Bueller
05-20-09, 01:27 PM
Congrats Ewill

I wish the best for you and your family.

cvettr/cts-v
05-20-09, 01:29 PM
Yes, congrats and best of luck.

lollygagger8
05-20-09, 01:56 PM
Good luck on the Trip Ewill!!

Have a little vodka, look-see's at the broads.......and

Bring me back some 7.62x39...my AK needs some more company :)

814V
05-20-09, 02:09 PM
congrats man! thats really awesome!

Good luck on the Trip Ewill!!

Have a little vodka, look-see's at the broads.......and

Bring me back some 7.62x39...my AK needs some more company :)

ill take some 5.56! my AR needs some company as well :shhh:

lollygagger8
05-20-09, 02:28 PM
congrats man! thats really awesome!

ill take some 5.56! my AR needs some company as well :shhh:

I have plenty of .223 for my Bushmaster....come on over

814V
05-20-09, 03:51 PM
I have plenty of .223 for my Bushmaster....come on over

i just paid $200 for a 1000 rounds of crappy .223

i can't believe how expensive and how hard to find ammo is getting. im buying as much as i can. i can get ss109 reloads of .223 for $.35 a bang

lollygagger8
05-20-09, 04:11 PM
i just paid $200 for a 1000 rounds of crappy .223

i can't believe how expensive and how hard to find ammo is getting. im buying as much as i can. i can get ss109 reloads of .223 for $.35 a bang

Ya it's getting outta hand......I just paid $350 for about 1200 rounds of Wolf 7.62, they can't keep it in stock!
Just sit on it....guns/ammo is like gold bars right now......going up up up!!

At least O'Bummer made guns worth more

atdeneve
05-20-09, 08:07 PM
Ah, congratulations on the new addition to the familia.

liqidvenom
05-20-09, 09:32 PM
congrats man

SkullV
05-20-09, 11:33 PM
Congrats man!

ewill3rd
05-21-09, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys, this little boy is so awesome!
Not sure if I can bring any live ammo out of the country. :lol:
I have enough stuff to carry without dealing with that coming back through customs, besides it is hard enough to find food, not sure where I'd find bullets!

Having a nice time so far, tomorrow we go to the embassy to get his papers and then Saturday we hit the skies and make our way home!
See you all soon!

I would post more but it is very hard to access the cadillacforums from Moscow for some reason. It might take me a while to catch up but I will.

lollygagger8
05-21-09, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys, this little boy is so awesome!
Not sure if I can bring any live ammo out of the country. :lol:
I have enough stuff to carry without dealing with that coming back through customs, besides it is hard enough to find food, not sure where I'd find bullets!

Having a nice time so far, tomorrow we go to the embassy to get his papers and then Saturday we hit the skies and make our way home!
See you all soon!

I would post more but it is very hard to access the cadillacforums from Moscow for some reason. It might take me a while to catch up but I will.

Oh man, I'm jealous you are going skiing! :2thumbs:

Congrats on your new little boy.....that's awesome!!!!! They grow up fast, so enjoy!

rjoffe
05-22-09, 01:04 PM
skiing ??

He is flying home, not going skiing :)

lollygagger8
05-22-09, 02:07 PM
skiing ??

He is flying home, not going skiing :)

Whoops my bad.....that would be skiis....not skies. Ok I'm not jealous anymore. :lol: thanks rjoffe

ewill3rd
05-24-09, 07:15 AM
Here is a picture of Vladimir.
Once I get settled in I will probably start a thread in the lounge with a few more.
He's awesome.
We got home last night around 7ish.
We had some nightmares coming through customs because the airline lost his car seat, oh it was in the airport somewhere but no one could tell me where... :lol:
Then we got stuck behind a group of about 10 people from India that didn't speak English and didn't have their papers together, oh and they had about 20 bags or so that had to be inspected.... :banghead:

Oh well... he's a dual citizen now we just have to wait for papers to come.
I'm so excited!
Too bad he doesn't realize that 3 am is not really lunchtime! :lol:
Yeah jet lag sucks!
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/ewill3rd/Vova.jpg

Junior1
05-24-09, 10:45 AM
congrats dude, best of luck

rjoffe
05-24-09, 01:32 PM
Bill,

Congrads, both on the addition to the family, and the end of the flying back and forth.

Let me know if you need any translation :)

You going to be back at work this week ?
Ron

liqidvenom
05-24-09, 01:53 PM
congrats man.

ewill3rd
05-24-09, 03:39 PM
Back into the swing of things as of Tuesday morning. Can't afford anymore lost time from work!

liqidvenom
05-24-09, 04:23 PM
if you are looking to get back into the grove at things you can do my clutch job and i wont even charge you rental time to use my car for training.

ewill3rd
05-24-09, 08:19 PM
:lol:
I don't need much training but I'll be more than happy to work on your car!

lollygagger8
05-26-09, 12:32 PM
He's a cutie! Congrats Ewill!

qqik4u
05-26-09, 12:40 PM
That smile says it all (no worries of the world) - The purity of it all :cloud9: congrats man -