: GM Company vehicle?

estatesatty
03-19-09, 05:29 PM
I am looking at a very low miles (less than 2500 miles) 2009 Escalade Hybrid. I contribute here often, but I thought you guys might have some insight.

The carfax report and the dealership has called the vehicle "GM Company vehicle." Anyone know exactly what a GM Company Vehicle is? I want to make sure that there is no possibility that this car has been a lemon/returned. The Carfax report allies my fears of it being a lemon, but I am not sure about the return issue. All that I see on the car fax is that it was a GM Company vehicle and then sold at auction.

I also had the dealership pull the VIN repair report, which showed only one repair (onstar module).

Anything else you guys recommend I ask for?

rand49er
03-19-09, 05:46 PM
Back in the old days ('60s and '70s), my dad would get a different Pontiac every day and bring it home (he was a chassis engineer there). When those cars reached about 3,000 miles, they became available to (primarily) employees who put their names on a list to buy them as used. They had to have a specific number of miles so they could be classified as used and so GM was not accused of competing with the area's dealers.

I'm sure it's a bit different nowadays, but the car you're referring to was probably driven back and forth to work and on various errands by a GM employee, probably a single employee, not several. It probably had normal maintenance performed and was probably checked out before it went on the block.

If you primary concern is was it abused? Probably not.

EDIT: I should mention that the people who drive these cars are typically responsible people, they are professionals, and they may even have to fill out evaluations as to likes/dislikes about the vehicle.

CTSV_510
03-19-09, 05:52 PM
Is it even possible to be considered a lemon after only 2500 miles? The thing has hardly been driven!

estatesatty
03-19-09, 05:54 PM
To be honest my primary concern is that it was POS that someone returned. It was cleaned up by the whomever had it, put on the auction block, and then bought by the dealer that now has it. I do not think this is possible since I have the Carfax and the VIN repair record, but I just want to be sure I am doing EVERYTHING I can. I never purchased a used vehicle before and I am just a bit nervous.

CtsVrod
03-19-09, 06:15 PM
Is it a CPO?

estatesatty
03-19-09, 06:21 PM
What's that?

OldRoadDawg
03-19-09, 06:21 PM
A few years back, being bored in retirement, a friend & sales mgr at the local Cadillac dealer asked me if I wanted to go pick up a Cadillac he bought on-line through something called GM Smart Auction, open to GM dealerships.

The cars were referred to as executive cars and had anywhere from as low as 1000 miles to maybe 8,000 miles. They had never been registered/titled, just driven on MFG plates. I've brought Escalades, STS & CTS back from holding lots in Pontiac, Woodhaven and a few other places. There were hundreds of them there (including CTS-Vs and Z06s). Some of them, like the Escalades (Platinum Edition) still had all the equipment like owners manual/NAV DVDs/headpones, etc in unopened boxes.

The local dealer would buy them at a 'great' price, detail them and sell them at a nice profit. Warranty had started when they first when into service, but usually the mileage was so low and they had only been in service for a few months before they were turned back in. Unless you had to have totally new, they could be had at a nice discount.

I bought a base '04 CTS that way with 7K on it. Never had a problem with it.

daVe06
03-19-09, 06:59 PM
My V was a GM corporate vehicle. Service history does not show any original point of sale info. It was bought at auction by a Canadian importer Jan. '08 with 4200kms on it.
My understanding is that it could have been an executive company car or a corporate or office pool car.

Either way...I sure am happy it's mine now. :D

814V
03-19-09, 07:13 PM
you could tell if it was a vehivle that had been purchased and returned if it had been titled. it more then likely has whats called a MSO. probably was a MFG vehicle for publicity. a lot of times those are the vehicles that travel around with car shows, or the ones they use to make commercials/brochures with. usually a dead givaway for one of these is a real low production # in the vin

CtsVrod
03-19-09, 07:21 PM
What's that?

CPO - Certified Pre-Owned Comes with a 6yr/100k mile warranty. If its a CPO than I wouldn't worry about it being a lemon.

estatesatty
03-19-09, 07:36 PM
The dealership offered to have it certified for $1200. I think that's basically the cost of an extended warranty anyway. So, I am not certain that it's worth it. Frankly, I am coming from my wife having a VW Touraeg. It's the biggest POS I have ever seen. I just want a car that's not going to consistently break. I have the VW warranty and the costs are not that bad on all the problems, it's the time spent that is really the most frustrating.

--Josh

dqw1
03-19-09, 07:38 PM
My V was a GM corporate vehicle. Service history does not show any original point of sale info. It was bought at auction by a Canadian importer Jan. '08 with 4200kms on it.
My understanding is that it could have been an executive company car or a corporate or office pool car.

Either way...I sure am happy it's mine now. :D
I got my V the same way. Mine still had GM "No Smoking" stickers on the windows. I got lucky then and hope to get an 09 V the same way. The car had 11k miles on it and they took off 11K also.

CtsVrod
03-19-09, 07:44 PM
The dealership offered to have it certified for $1200. I think that's basically the cost of an extended warranty anyway. So, I am not certain that it's worth it. Frankly, I am coming from my wife having a VW Touraeg. It's the biggest POS I have ever seen. I just want a car that's not going to consistently break. I have the VW warranty and the costs are not that bad on all the problems, it's the time spent that is really the most frustrating.

--Josh

The CPO is better than an extended warranty - Covers more items, and no Deductible, etc. Chances are the dealer will waive the $1200 bucks to sell you the car. Worked when we bought my Fiance's Escalade, they wanted to charge us $2500 for the CPO, and I laughed, and they did it for free.

Albertan
03-19-09, 07:58 PM
I got my 2006V as a GM company vehicle. It was a California car sold at auction, bought by a Cadillac dealer in Ohio. I bought it through these forums. It had 125 miles on it when I picked it up. I saved big bucks on it. It was just like new...wait a minute, it was new!

jebfrank
03-19-09, 10:40 PM
GM Company vehicles are vehicles driven by corporate managers, plant managers, and superintendents. Could have also been used to transport company personal. I wouldn’t worry about anything. It the vehicle was a lemon, they have to disclose it and I believe it wouldn’t be covered under a factory warranty. Your best bet is to get the VIN and take it to a GM service department had have it checked, but again I believe you have nothing to worry about.

Ak Jim
03-19-09, 10:45 PM
The dealer in Ohio is Chressrown or some thing close to that spelling. They specialized in those types of cars. I almost bought a car from them. The price was 41k with the 6/100 warranty. They use to post here but have not in a couple of years. I had started the paperwork with them when our mechanics went on strike so I thought it was not the best time to be buying a new car. One of the brothers was pretty pissed and the other brother came on the line and said no problem, give us a call when things settle down at your work.

Albertan
03-19-09, 10:52 PM
Yes. it was Chesrown. I dealt with David Chesrown. I just couldn't remember the name when I posted. You are right, they did sell a lot of the V's ex auction etc. Someone else here bought one from them as well. I can't remember who.

Ak Jim
03-19-09, 10:54 PM
I wonder if they are doing the same gig with the V-2s?

sonjaab
03-22-09, 12:25 AM
GM sells these low mile units all the time thru GM auctions to GM dealers.
GM employee/retirees (like me) get the first shot at these cars thru the
GM Family First employee site.
These cars are known and offered to us as PEP vehicles.
They are delivered and financed thru a local dealer that is near where the car is located.
They are sold at a DEEP discount plus further discounts for mileage on the car.
I got a 07 DTS Lux 3 with 2,900 miles....yup 2,900! with every option in the book for
$29,000 ! The sticker on the car was $50k!
That was almost $10,000 less than a new 07 even with the GM employee deal!

Since you checked the GM VIS data base and the car shows one repair you can rest
easy it wasn't a buyback lemon vehicle. Even if it was in most states the title would/
should be flagged as such. A Carfax would be addl. assurance!

Good luck!

sonjaab
03-22-09, 12:56 AM
AK JIM.............I just checked the GM family first site for upcoming PEP cars.
No 09 CTS-Vs But there are 3 09 DTS performance avail now. Also a 09 XLR-V.
They show 1 09 sts-v black loaded and in Texas $81k msrp and I can get it
for $63k minus any rebates. It has 3000 miles.
Sorry I can't give ya the other vehicles info. or prices nor if any 08s are out there
as the GM site is sloooooowwww as all get out today!

I will note that there was a announcement on that site that any employee/retiree/
family member can get a NEW GM vehicle for the PEP-2 price.
Which by the way is even CHEAPER than the GM employee GMS price !!!!!!!!!!!
SNAP! I am not due for a new truck till next year!

Ak Jim
03-22-09, 01:12 AM
I would think there could be more of these cars by the end of summer. It will take a while for the cars to accumulate some miles. I also thought that some of the cars are used in various promotional events like golf tourneys etc. If that is the case they should be showing up in a few months!

YoshiV
03-22-09, 10:33 AM
I wonder if they are doing the same gig with the V-2s?

Haven't seen any V2's in the fleet yet. As an employee I can search the fleet and tag a specific vehicle for myself if it's what I want.

sonjaab
03-22-09, 12:00 PM
AK..............It just depends on the car and time of the year a V is a rare animal !!!!!
Heck if you want a regular DTS, STS, Impala, Buick etc. there are literally HUNDREDS
that you can "tag" thru the GM family first site.

YOSHI...Your a GM employee/retiree?
Have you hooked anybody up under the GM supplier for friends deal or the GMS for
friends?

YoshiV
03-22-09, 06:36 PM
I'm an employee and take advantage of whatever programs are currently offered to help family and friends.

QKSLVRTA
03-23-09, 12:41 PM
not 100% but I think my 07 was a company car too... all the warranties stuff started with 394 miles on the car not sure though