: Cold air kits pictures.

wait4me
03-19-09, 12:18 PM
Here you go guys.

Just got back from the powder coater today.

:)

http://www.2009cts-v.com/8IMG_2973.JPG

http://2009cts-v.com/7IMG_2974.JPG

http://www.2009cts-v.com/6IMG_2975.JPG

http://www.2009cts-v.com/5IMG_2978.JPG

http://www.2009cts-v.com/4IMG_2979.JPG

http://www.2009cts-v.com/3IMG_2980.JPG

http://www.2009cts-v.com/2IMG_2981.JPG

http://www.2009cts-v.com/1IMG_2982.JPG

wait4me
03-19-09, 12:35 PM
Price including the kn airfilter for your box is $250. shipping will be around 15 bucks.

The first batch im shipping the $15 dollar shipping has been waived.

Cub Cadet
03-19-09, 12:41 PM
Have you noticed a huge difference in driving around with all of the plastic covers (decorative ones) removed? The Trailblazer SS group has seen much better cooling when the big plastic "SS" en gine cover was removed. It looked nice, but really holds the heat in.

wait4me
03-19-09, 12:45 PM
Yes there is a noticable drop in temps in the iat 2 sensor with everything removed. The motor seems to keep cooler quicker also.

The only downfall from it all being removed is you can now hear the blower whine a little..

That noise is soo annoying and i wish the 2009 V didnt come with a blower. All the people can hear me sneaking up to them from a light.. jk

Cub Cadet
03-19-09, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the update - I was just curious. Nice CAI by the way, and the price is very reasonable.
I am surprised that you don't like the blower whine. I have a 2002 F150 Lightning with 16lbs boost (stock Eaton) and a CAI, and the truck whines like no other - I love it!

GM-4-LIFE
03-19-09, 01:27 PM
Jes,

Thanks for posting the pics. My order is in with you so I can wait to get mine installed. Let me know when mine ships out!

SG

Richie18
03-19-09, 02:05 PM
~$200 for a 90 degree hose and some clamps, i might just have to call the cops.

Fubar75207
03-19-09, 02:11 PM
This doesn't really provide "Cold Air" does it? It is just a non-collapsible intake tube.

I'm not knocking it, I think it is superior to the stock set-up but it doesn't find a new intake air location.

GM-4-LIFE
03-19-09, 02:25 PM
This doesn't really provide "Cold Air" does it? It is just a non-collapsible intake tube.

I'm not knocking it, I think it is superior to the stock set-up but it doesn't find a new intake air location.

Only way to achieve a true cold air design is to be able to channel air with a cone type filter from either the bottom of the grille of the bottom of the car. In the summer months, forget about cold air at all.

SG

musclesbmf
03-19-09, 02:37 PM

Well, if we want to get technical, there is no such thing as a "cold air" kit. They are all "ambient air" kits, but that is neither here nor there.

W4M, thanks for the pics. My order was placed last week and I look forward to receiving and installing it with your programmer. Keep bringing us new products!! Love it.

Mark

wait4me
03-19-09, 02:59 PM
Price all the parts out yourself if you would like. I thought the price was more than reasonable. As the other companies are selling them for 360 + i believe.
4 inch tube special cut to order for correct bend = 48.00 my cost.
powdercoat and prep each unit = 10.27 my cost.
silicone end hump hose with special intake provision custom made 52.70 each.
silicone end flat black 4 inch 3 inch long 11.00 each my cost.
K&N airfilter 56.00 each my cost and yours..
Stainless steel 4 inch clamps, ect...

after all is said and done and my shipping charges incurred on setting up it all, i really dont make much at all.

I could have went cheaper, and not got the fancy hump hoses and stainless clamps and not got them powder coated. That would have made things alot cheaper cost wise. But i wanted a higher quality kit than the others. Also, i choose to add the 56 of that cost to the k&n air filter to make a more complete setup that is needed to get you ready for bigger boost. THIS PART IS MANDATORY FOR A PULLY KIT.

wait4me
03-19-09, 03:00 PM
OHH guys, i was only kidding about not liking the blower noise. That is why i put JK at the end of the sentance.. :) Blowers are cool.

Richie18
03-19-09, 03:28 PM
Price all the parts out yourself if you would like. I thought the price was more than reasonable. As the other companies are selling them for 360 + i believe.
4 inch tube special cut to order for correct bend = 48.00 my cost.
powdercoat and prep each unit = 10.27 my cost.
silicone end hump hose with special intake provision custom made 52.70 each.
silicone end flat black 4 inch 3 inch long 11.00 each my cost.
K&N airfilter 56.00 each my cost and yours..
Stainless steel 4 inch clamps, ect...

after all is said and done and my shipping charges incurred on setting up it all, i really dont make much at all.

I could have went cheaper, and not got the fancy hump hoses and stainless clamps and not got them powder coated. That would have made things alot cheaper cost wise. But i wanted a higher quality kit than the others. Also, i choose to add the 56 of that cost to the k&n air filter to make a more complete setup that is needed to get you ready for bigger boost. THIS PART IS MANDATORY FOR A PULLY KIT.

Good to know the price is justified then. :thumbsup:

GM-4-LIFE
03-19-09, 03:55 PM
Jes,

I trust you! No real need to have to explain yourself.

SG

musclesbmf
03-19-09, 04:30 PM
Jes,

I trust you! No real need to have to explain yourself.

SG

Amen, brother.
All I can say is look at some other vendors if you ever question a price. $250 plus shipping is a steal, and it include the filter.
The way I look at it this, if you don't like the price or the product, don't buy it. It's sad when the most "reasonable" tuner/vendor gets called out on price, etc.

RapidRob
03-19-09, 06:41 PM
How do you order this stuff? I know about PayPal but are there instructions somewhere?

Thanks.

Rob

Razorecko
03-19-09, 07:21 PM
Looks nice - have you checked/thought of using Green Filter instead of K&N. Their quality is better and from my expierance flow better.

wait4me
03-19-09, 08:11 PM
I will consider that on my next batch. I had ordered 20 filters so when they are gone i will look into and test other filters out. The k&n seemed to do well to supply a non restrictive flow for the surface area it has to work with for our application. I have some test stuff almost done that use a huge conical filter and all 4 inch down to the bumper. But it requires in person tuning as the maf signal changed dramatically due to the difference in flow. As soon as the pipes are back from the powdercoater i will post some pictures of it all.

nc09v2
03-19-09, 09:15 PM
+1 on the Green filter, although Green sais they don't make one for this car yet.

Jesse, thanks for posting these pics. I ordered your handheld last week, sent a check snail mail, and am looking forward to loading the tune.

GM-4-LIFE
03-21-09, 05:41 PM
Jes,

When is my intake shipping out? The wait is killing me!

Thanks!

SG

aceofblitz
03-21-09, 06:00 PM
No offense W4M I really appreciate what you're doing with the community, releasing everything everyone wants and all.. I am sure a lot of people will buy your kit but as an overseas customer, I'd rather wait for the release of a revised intake system that does not require any tampering of the stock box or what not. (Importing in general is a PITA). I hope you're planning on developing your product even further. Looking forward to it.

GM-4-LIFE
03-21-09, 06:09 PM
No offense W4M I really appreciate what you're doing with the community, releasing everything everyone wants and all.. I am sure a lot of people will buy your kit but as an overseas customer, I'd rather wait for the release of a revised intake system that does not require any tampering of the stock box or what not. (Importing in general is a PITA). I hope you're planning on developing your product even further. Looking forward to it.

Am I missing something here? This is the only intake kit that DOES not alter the stock airbox. All this does is replace the accordian rubber piece so it doesn't suck shut when the engine gets hot. It actually is a nice kit because the dealer won't suspect any changes to the airbox kit during warranty repairs. It is a stealthy mod and has a K&N filter to go with it as well.

SG

aceofblitz
03-21-09, 06:23 PM
Am I missing something here? This is the only intake kit that DOES not alter the stock airbox. All this does is replace the accordian rubber piece so it doesn't suck shut when the engine gets hot. It actually is a nice kit because the dealer won't suspect any changes to the airbox kit during warranty repairs. It is a stealthy mod and has a K&N filter to go with it as well.

SG

I thought you have to cut the bottom part of the airbox?
Dealer told me that an intake would not void the warranty. What I'm trying to say is as good as this kit is, I'm pretty sure there will be better in the near future (from w4m or anyone else). I would rather not order a kit, then order another kit when its out since i'm going to deal with importing and extra shipping costs and customs etc. its a pain
Hate playing this patience game :(

RapidRob
03-21-09, 07:01 PM

SG

SG - I'm not sure if this is correct myself. I assumed that W4M had modded the OE air-box as per the following post/thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/158582-wait4me-airbox-mod-installation.html

Looking at it from the outside it does appear stock, and therefore would not raise flags when at the dealer. I guess Jesse will have have to clear this up, but I thought that the modded air-box was going to be part of his cold-air intake mod. Could be we are expected to mod our own air-box, to get the most out of w4m's mod, since it's apparently not easy to find OEM air-box's available for sale.

Rob

CadV
03-21-09, 07:53 PM

I don't want to speak for Jess but I think his early testing showed an open filter did not gain anything over a modded airbox. He is all about providing cheap mods that work well. Most shops sell bogus mods with unrealistic gains. For example another shop has a open filter kit that claims to pickup 18rwhp while a simple hack of your stock airbox gives you 20rwhp. Replacing the stock air tube did not make a difference in numbers until he started messing with the pulley. So you spend 250 and mod your airbox or you spend 450 for a complete replacement. As Rob mentioned you cannot tell the airbox has been tampered with unless you take it completely out.

CadV
03-21-09, 07:55 PM

SG

Jess found that cutting the bottom of the airbox along with his tune picked up 20rwhp. I did it in preparation for the crank pulley mod.

CadV
03-21-09, 08:15 PM
SG - I'm not sure if this is correct myself. I assumed that W4M had modded the OE air-box as per the following post/thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/158582-wait4me-airbox-mod-installation.html

Looking at it from the outside it does appear stock, and therefore would not raise flags when at the dealer. I guess Jesse will have have to clear this up, but I thought that the modded air-box was going to be part of his cold-air intake mod. Could be we are expected to mod our own air-box, to get the most out of w4m's mod, since it's apparently not easy to find OEM air-box's available for sale.

Rob

I don't think a modded airbox is included. I think the air tube and filter are the kit if we go by his price list.

I got a friend who can get me parts cheap if enough people wanted to buy a spare in case of warranty work.

RapidRob
03-21-09, 10:54 PM
I don't think a modded airbox is included. I think the air tube and filter are the kit if we go by his price list.

I got a friend who can get me parts cheap if enough people wanted to buy a spare in case of warranty work.

Ahhh - OK, that is correct, after re-reading w4m's post on the subject. Well, I would definitely like to have a spare OEM air-box available before doing mods on the one in the v2 when it arrives. So, CadV, please put me down for one if you start a list - and thanks very much!

Also waiting for a crank-pully solution ...

Rob

CadV
03-21-09, 11:23 PM
Ahhh - OK, that is correct, after re-reading w4m's post on the subject. Well, I would definitely like to have a spare OEM air-box available before doing mods on the one in the v2 when it arrives. So, CadV, please put me down for one if you start a list - and thanks very much!

Also waiting for a crank-pully solution ...

Rob

I will check on a price. Hopefully GM doesn't bunch unnecessary stuff in the part. It is smart to have a backup box for sure especially with GM in trouble. They prolly going to nitpick everything.

qictrk
03-21-09, 11:32 PM
Make that 2 boxes and you will probably need a lot more. I was under the impression that we did not have to destroy our stock air box. Cecil........

CVP33
03-22-09, 09:23 PM
That looks better than my first attempt back in 2004.

CadV
03-23-09, 09:46 AM
Replacement box is 220 ouchie.

qictrk
03-23-09, 01:35 PM
Replacement box is 220 ouchie.

Ouch is right. This makes the Hennessey cold air unit not such a bad deal, for people like me, who want to save the stock setup, for contingencies down the road. Well, i already paid for Jesses unit, so it will be a wash with me doing a little more work. I still want an exhaust and pulley, but i will do a little more research this time before i jump. Cecil...............

wait4me
03-23-09, 01:40 PM
Thier isnt going to be much of a difference from one system to the other. The STOCK box gets its air exactly from the same spot as the other setup!. There is a hole where the air is coming from. When you cut the bottom out of your box, you are breathing from the same "Fresh" air as the other one does. The only difference is, eventually, when we are all making 800+ hp, we will be able to use a filter with more CFM capacity to allow the engine to breathe more air. The stock filter surface diameter can only handle about 788hp.

CadV
03-27-09, 10:08 PM
Got my Air Tube from Jess tonight and got it installed. Here are some pics to add to what Jess posted.

This thread will help you take everything apart to prepare for the new tube:

Comparing filters:

http://i44.tinypic.com/fe07pj.jpg

K&N in the stock Airbox:

http://i43.tinypic.com/v4ukbk.jpg

Completed:

http://i44.tinypic.com/54zptd.jpg

All the parts are good quality especially the air tube.

Razorecko
05-05-09, 08:04 PM
I will consider that on my next batch. I had ordered 20 filters so when they are gone i will look into and test other filters out. The k&n seemed to do well to supply a non restrictive flow for the surface area it has to work with for our application. I have some test stuff almost done that use a huge conical filter and all 4 inch down to the bumper. But it requires in person tuning as the maf signal changed dramatically due to the difference in flow. As soon as the pipes are back from the powdercoater i will post some pictures of it all.

Hey Jesse, are you saying that if we used a straight 4in intake in true cold air style down to the air hole and completely eliminated the stock box that we would need a tune ? Would an intake like that do damage on its own to require a tune or would the V just not be able to take full advantage of a large cai like that ??

Nutz
05-05-09, 08:09 PM
Yes there is a noticable drop in temps in the iat 2 sensor with everything removed. The motor seems to keep cooler quicker also.

The only downfall from it all being removed is you can now hear the blower whine a little..

That noise is soo annoying and i wish the 2009 V didnt come with a blower. All the people can hear me sneaking up to them from a light.. jkYa I bet, hearing that big noisy thing under the hood must blow! :cool:

Razorecko
05-05-09, 08:11 PM
I heard a youtube video of a 4In intake on the V....holy cRAP ! it friggin was whistling left and right at low throttle from the intake and blowin' from the eaton at wot....like an orchestra of noises :worship:

Nutz
05-05-09, 08:21 PM
^ That's what I'm talkin about. I live for that music!:thumbsup:

Razorecko
05-05-09, 08:24 PM
now we need some badass modified hoods