: Navigation systems are unsafe?

BeelzeBob
06-23-03, 08:34 AM
Let's hear more about this.. For people who know or have opinions, let's hear it..

BeelzeBob
06-24-03, 08:32 AM
Let's hear more about this.. For people who know or have opinions, let's hear it..

Okay so I guess it's got nothing to do with radiation? It's because people are looking at them? They all need to work with the speakers in the car. If that were the case, they'd be perfectly safe. I've never been in a Cadillac with navigation but I've been in a Lexus and a BMW and both had voice navigation... It was very safe...

scourge
06-24-03, 09:15 AM
Damn near stock it seems in every white plate car sold in Japan these days and from what I have seen, its seems pretty standard to have navigation in New Zealand and Australia as well.

Maximln
07-06-03, 05:42 PM
I would definately think that they are unsafe. Think about it, if you are lost or trying to find your way around in an unfamiliar area, the last thing you need is a distraction that is drawing your attention away from your driving. Not to mention the fact that they are not very practical. The data collected for the navigation CD is collected approximately a year before it is bought. Think how many businesses, streets, etc. are constantly being added or deleted. Also, smaller cities usually do not have very much detail to them. An updated version of navigation CD's runs around $1,000.

A much better option would be ONSTAR. Your full attention is being given to your driving while someone verbally tells you where to turn next, where the closest McDonalds, ATM, shopping center, movie theater is, and their database is updated monthly with new information. (shameless plug for ONSTAR!)

Max

Ralph
07-06-03, 09:16 PM
They still mention on the news once in a while that just like a cell phone, you are still distracted to a degree. Certain cars that are comming out with this feature are not going to allow the driver alone to use it unless there is a passenger. Or did I read this about the new DVD movie screens in cars and vans? Something about a sensor in the passenger seat, and then it could be accessed for safety?

banstyle
07-06-03, 09:35 PM
I've heard all sorts of things about this. I've heard you can't use it without a passenger in some cars, like Ralph says. I've heard they're confusing; hard to use; too dim or bright in certain situations.

Honestly, as someone who's studied human interface design, these things are atrocious. One of the biggest things that people need is tactile feedback, and these things don't have it. If it's touchscreen, you have to divert your attention away from the road and conditions to use it. That right there is a huge no-no.

Usually you can just feel your way through what you need to do after you get accustomed to a stereo. This is how it's supposed to work. Wheel-based controls have also helped quite a lot.

I think navigation will become more predominent if we can integrate their interface into a spot where its more comfortable for drivers. How about embedded into the windshield? Or maybe a computerized voice giving directions instead?

I'm currently preparing to start work on my SMS(tm) in-car PC system, and the LCD touchpanel that I will use will be mounted just above the stereo, in front of the hazard light button and the vents. This position seems right to me- it will be below the windshield, but higher than where the radio sits, so I'll be able to look at the screen without much impact on my ability to drive the car. What's really cool is that the GPS software I've chosen supports announcing directions by voice; it tracks where you are and where your heading, and gives appropriate turns to get to where you need to go.

Ralph
07-06-03, 09:43 PM
Sounds like your putting too many distractions in your car Ban? All you need is a pretty woman in your pasenger seat, that's enough distraction for me! A while back, I kinda guessed all this tech would find its way into cars. I predict that in the near future, there will be more fatalities only in the upscale luxury market.

banstyle
07-06-03, 10:09 PM
Sounds like your putting too many distractions in your car Ban? All you need is a pretty woman in your pasenger seat, that's enough distraction for me!

I never can get the pretty women to sit with me; they just don't trust me. :sneaky:

It can be distracting, but I'm putting together the package in such a way as to streamline the controls. I'll have voice control installed in the PC, and a custom interface to all the things I want to do. Hopefully, I'll only have to screw with playlists and things at stoplights, and then just easily change things if I need to while driving. Definitely will only do GPS/Navigation and music while I drive. Games, movies, internet will all be passenger only or driver too when parked. It's about self-control, but then... I'm a serious driver; I drive a Cadillac. ;)

Ralph
07-06-03, 10:21 PM
I hope we drive real Cadillacs, Dude, after all, they are FWD. :helpless:

banstyle
07-06-03, 10:33 PM
I hope we drive real Cadillacs, Dude, after all, they are FWD. :helpless:

Oh damnit, don't remind me. :crybaby: