: CTS is the first GM product to have in-car Internet

GM-4-LIFE
03-19-09, 11:50 AM
DETROIT – Cadillac will offer wireless internet access for its best-selling model, adding a new dimension to the passenger experience. Cadillac Wi-Fi by Autonet Mobile comes to the CTS Sport Sedan in April, giving passengers full internet access in and around the car via their laptop or WiFi device.

The launch of Cadillac WiFi by Autonet Mobile will begin with live demonstrations at the New York International Auto Show April 10-19.

“Consumers today are frequently searching for WiFi access wherever they may be,” said Mark McNabb, North America Vice President, Cadillac. “Adding WiFi is a natural extension of the tech features already inside the CTS, such as a 40 gigabyte hard drive with USB port, a pop-up navigation system featuring real-time traffic and weather forecasts and the exclusive ability to pause and rewind live radio.”

Cadillac WiFi uses technology from Autonet Mobile, the world’s first Internet Service Provider designed exclusively for cars. Cadillac WiFi by Autonet Mobile turns the car into a WiFi hotspot and works with any operating system supporting any Wi-Fi enabled device. It delivers an easy-to-use and seamless internet experience, with 3G mobile technology that maintains internet connections while the car is in motion. The system can support several devices at once, enabling one passenger to update a Facebook page, while another is gaming online or watching YouTube videos, for example.

Designed for use by passengers, the system requires no special software and achieves speeds up to 800Kbps. The dealer-installed option will retail for $499, with a monthly service subscription of $29.

wait4me
03-19-09, 12:03 PM
AHH this was what i have been trying to turn on in the radio. I saw a TON of reference code in the flash chips.. On the web browser and other stuff, even reference to the wireless verzon card it has in it... Now seems, that we are just missing the other box.... Exciting!

wait4me
03-19-09, 12:18 PM
29 a month for 1 - 2 gigs of data allowed per month.

59 a month for 5 gigs.

AND only works where you get cell service. There are alot of dead spots for me around where i live.. Big citys should work good...

But my question is, Are they going to turn on the functionality in the radio for it to be a web browser, or are they just making your car a mobile wifi spot?

CIWS
03-19-09, 12:22 PM
2010-2011 is looking better :D

ExtraV
03-19-09, 03:29 PM
Why would you want this and not a Verizon wireless card, which will let you do the same thing but allow you to use your laptop everywhere?

Krug Ford
03-19-09, 06:17 PM
I have not seen anything as far as part numbers..

OldDrummer55
03-20-09, 02:01 AM
AHH this was what i have been trying to turn on in the radio. I saw a TON of reference code in the flash chips.. On the web browser and other stuff, even reference to the wireless verzon card it has in it... Now seems, that we are just missing the other box.... Exciting!

Jesse, you sound like a Mad Scientist gleefully seeking the secrets of the universe... ;)

vperl
03-20-09, 02:24 PM
Jesse, you sound like a Mad Scientist gleefully seeking the secrets of the universe... ;)

Dad, no money yet

thebigjimsho
03-20-09, 10:54 PM
But my question is, Are they going to turn on the functionality in the radio for it to be a web browser, or are they just making your car a mobile wifi spot?
that's what I'd like to know as well. I don't need mobile internet. I've already got my Sprint card which is the pimp. But I'd love for the nav to be connected and be fully interactive...

TaVern
03-21-09, 02:05 PM
Great... Now I have to contend with idiots talking on their cell phones AND surfing the internets while driving.

vperl
03-21-09, 03:22 PM

gee, Dad, they have no confidence that you can multi=task, and plot at the same time, I have to have radio off, and blinders on so that I don't get distracted

jvp
03-21-09, 07:16 PM
Great... Now I have to contend with idiots talking on their cell phones AND surfing the internets while driving.

No kidding. And here I was thinking I was the only one who thought this is a baaaaaaaad idea.

jas

thebigjimsho
03-21-09, 09:36 PM
waddaya mean now? you already did. poasting while driving is sooo much fun.

kidding. maybe.

bpospo
03-22-09, 02:36 PM
i think its a good idea but it is basically the same as a verizon card but now you can use more then 1 lap top at once in the same vehicle. with the air cards they are specific to each lap top ( little kiddies netbooks in the back etc) this can work great for future headrest monitors etc i dont like the fact that they charge per gig.

thebigjimsho
03-22-09, 06:58 PM
limiting by gig is wizzle. but how much downloading do you do on teh mobill intrawebz??

Jeremyislame
08-10-09, 05:06 PM
Actually they don't really charge per gig ... I have gone over the 1 gig amount for $29 and they did not charge me any overage fees ... plus .. most months I am way under the 1 gig ....

Also .. it's not just the same as an air card... try driving down the road and streaming something over an air card... it will NOT work ... I can roll at like 80mph and my autonet never loses connection.

thatcoder
08-10-09, 06:24 PM
cradlepoint has a product that accepts my vzn wireless card, and i already use it as a mobile hotspot of sorts.

vzn and sprint now have a mobile card device that looks about the size of a blackberry curve that is good for wifi sharing.

1BlinkGone
08-10-09, 06:46 PM
No kidding. And here I was thinking I was the only one who thought this is a baaaaaaaad idea.

jas

I think it's a GREAT idea. MY missus can surf en-route in the CTS. I like it. FWIW... I have no ambition to use it when I'm driving; and I don't want another stupid big-brother law to somehow try and protect me from myself.

poor-sha
08-10-09, 10:15 PM
I'd like to know how they have this wired in so it is off a switched circuit in the trunk. I ended up with a Netgear 3G to WiFi box that has a 12V car power adapter. I put a 12V socket in the trunk but it's not switched with the ignition.

Jeremyislame
08-24-09, 08:25 PM
cradlepoint has a product that accepts my vzn wireless card, and i already use it as a mobile hotspot of sorts.

vzn and sprint now have a mobile card device that looks about the size of a blackberry curve that is good for wifi sharing.

yeah but like I said the cradlepoint and verizon and sprint devices are ALL the same .. they are all made by novatel and are NOT for use while in motion.

Try streaming Pandora with cradlepoint and get back to me. :)

The Cadillac WiFi is the only device made for the road and auto industry certified.

thebigjimsho
08-24-09, 08:32 PM
you're lame...